PDA

View Full Version : Graveyards...

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 01:35 AM
I see a few of the usuall suspects around... who else is working tonight???

charlyox
03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
I am.I get off about 4 a.m.

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm here till 0600.... :sleeping:
(Let's see if I can jinx it).... I'm having a pretty quiet night...

JustMVG
03-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Working on more posts, but that doesn't count does it, sorry to see you guys have to work grave and on Fri/Sat, hope the money's good!!!

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 03:23 AM
I'll be here all weekend, tip your waitress and try the veal... :D
Gotta pay the piper for all the time off I get.... it's not so bad, as long as the weather stays on cruddy side... :D

Flying Tiger
03-19-2005, 03:57 AM
I just can't sleep.http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/av-1767.gif

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 04:02 AM
I just can't sleep.http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/av-1767.gif
I'm trying to stay awake... lol... :D

Hallett
03-19-2005, 04:14 AM
Im here at work all weekend will be off sunday morning.
have another cup. :sleeping:

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 04:18 AM
One more, I just turned the coffee pot off... getting ready for shift change.

Hallett
03-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Working on more posts, but that doesn't count does it, sorry to see you guys have to work grave and on Fri/Sat, hope the money's good!!!
It's a small price to pay to be able
to live in lakehavasu im a lucky man. :wink:

charlyox
03-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey SJ I'm back for another night.I work 12 hr.shifts.

Flying Tiger
03-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Me too for another all nighter here at home.
Still can't sleep.

Hallett
03-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Last one for me, then i go on days on wed.
have a good one guys.

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Back in the saddle... again.... :D
Hallett, do you start your rotation on nights???

charlyox
03-20-2005, 12:35 AM
One more night and I'm off til thursday :boxed:

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 12:39 AM
One more night and I'm off til thursday :boxed:
One more than I've got to quick change back to days on Wed.... Working on getting the schedule changed so that doesn't happen anymore...

Hallett
03-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Back in the saddle... again.... :D
Hallett, do you start your rotation on nights???
Hi sleek, i work no moor then three, and shift goes from
day to graves on week i work a 48 hr shift with 8 hrs ot
then a 36 hr shift so it works out to 16 hrs ot per month.

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 12:45 AM
We start out working 4 nights, then 3 days, 3 nights, and finish up with 4 day shifts... then the gravy... a week off. 28 day rotation....
No OT.... we're salary... yipee :rolleyes: sense the sarcasm??
Been working the schedule for almost a decade now, and I might be going back to straight days shortly... don't know what that's going to be like... :rollside:

charlyox
03-20-2005, 12:55 AM
I would hate working straight day's.Rotating has a lot of advantages but some nights are long. I get every other weekend off and one is a 4 dayer.River time!

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 01:06 AM
If it works out, I won't be totally out of shift work... I'll be responsible for covering vacation/sick leave for the other people on the shifts... Could work out to even more time off due to the comp time involved working 12 hour shifts vs. 8 hour days....

Hallett
03-20-2005, 01:18 AM
we have one guy that covers vacation he does very well
with the ot money. when i am off nights im on call so that
kinda blows.

HOOTER SLED-
03-20-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm working graveyard on this beer. Wish I were in Havasu though. :devil:

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 03:23 AM
I would hate working straight day's.Rotating has a lot of advantages but some nights are long. I get every other weekend off and one is a 4 dayer.River time!
When you sit down and figure how many days worked... I only am here for 6 months out of the year... :D That's not including vacation and an additional 2 weeks we have to burn to get back down to 2080 hours a year...
... I love shift work.... :D

Flying Tiger
03-20-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm just hangin out sick with the flu.
The Zithromax they seem to be giving everybody builds up in your system and ya start to feel more sick from it than the flu.
http://www.dumontsanddunes.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album08/Smiley_in_the_snow.thumb.gif

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 04:45 AM
I'm just hangin out sick with the flu.
The Zithromax they seem to be giving everybody builds up in your system and ya start to feel more sick from it than the flu.
That sucks... I'm still a fan of Nyquil for most ailments... that stuff knock me out...
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Essexive G's
03-20-2005, 05:30 AM
Hey, can I ask you shift guys a question?
Are you, or do you get used to it?
The only reason I ask is because I work this funky schedule. it's not all bad but there is a major hiccup that gets harder to swallow every month.
For 3 weeks I work 8 to 5 with little OT. But the fourth week kicks your ass.
On the fourth week you're scheduled to work 10 to 7 plus availability. Availability is any call that comes in after 7pm.
Oh yeah I should probably tell you what I do for a living. I work on retail computer network systems along with Atm's.
Our company services accounts ranging from Applebees, to Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, Walmart and a list of about 90 others.
If any of you guys have a dell laptop or PC, and need service, you get us.
Dell subs out the service calls to us.
Anyway on the fourth week availability starts. You know that you won't be getting off at 7pm. There are 3 other guys on my team and the four of us have never seen home until at least 10:30pm.
Now 3 hrs. Ot a night is not the problem, the problem lies in that you never know when you will get to go home until you are home. Once you're home, at least 5 days out of the nine that you work on call you get called back out after you have already gotten home, changed clothes, ate ....ect.
When you do get called back out. It is usually for some catastrophe like a whole Walmart will go down and won't be able to ring sales when they open. Which means that Walmart will not open their doors until you get them back up.
2) Jack in the box blows a hard drive on their server at 3:00 in the morning and you have only been home 3 hours to @ 3:45am you rebuild a drive that takes until 7am. You get home at 8am to go back in a 10:00.
I could go on and on about the senarios, but what I wanted to know is (since you guys are on the other side) is do you adjust to your schedules or is it a shock on your system. I'm guessing some of you or most of you night guys just work the same schedule but there were some that had like a rotation type of deal.
I seem to dread mine every time it comes around. 10 years of the wife and kids calling me on the phone, " Hey dad I need help with homework and mom can't help me. When are you going to be home? :(
Or the wife calls. " Honey, I was thinking about making a nice dinner tonight. When do you think you might be home?" :confused:
My response is always the same, " Well it's X oclock now I have X amount of calls and If I don't get any more calls I'll be home at X o'clock, but I could get 1,2,or 3 calls on the way home."
Some times I get there, most times I don't.
Ahhhhh, thanks for the vent. I normally don't get this involved on HB, (more of the lurker, casual poster type). When I read this post. I actually felt your pain so I had to ask. Thanks.

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Speaking for myself, yes you get used to the rotating shifts....
Even though I don't work Monday - Friday, my schedule is set, and I don't have to take standby. I also get an entire week off a month, the 4th week of my rotation is what I call a "long change". If I need to know if I'm off a certin day in the future, all I have to do is take a quick look at my schedule and make plans from there.
Not that it doesn't have it's draw backs, I work hollidays and lots of weekends, not to mention nights. Rotating between days and night takes a toll on the body. I really don't have a normal sleep patern anymore. A good analogy is that it's like flying from here to Australia and back every 7 days or so... Also, it's hard to work weekends when everyone else in the world is off partying at the river or the lake...
All in all though, shift work provides a very good way of life. Like I posted before, I really only work half the year. Days off during the week are nice, and we do get compensated nicely for working around the clock.
Our lineman pull the same type of on call schedule that you described, EG. I know they hate it, but we have to have someone available for outages and repairs after hours. The company isn't going to spring for a night linecrew to handle those situations, so the employee's get saddled with taking standby. I wouldn't want to work that way personally.

charlyox
03-20-2005, 05:45 PM
My shhedule is close to your's SJ. 28 day cycle between days and nights.I only work 14 days a month= 6 months out of the year. Working holliday's sucks except it is double time and a half. My long change is from fri.am til tues. am. I have been doing shift for over 25 years. Maybe that's why I drink so much. LOL

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
My long change goes from Tuesday at 1800 till the following Thursday at 1800.
We're going to change the sched around a little and get rid of the short change from nights to day (72 hours instead of 48), and in the process will loose one day of the long change, but it'll be worth it.

charlyox
03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
If I take 2 day's vacation after long change I end up getting a full week off. That works for me. I plan to do that every month this summer .

NorCal Gameshow
03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
We start out working 4 nights, then 3 days, 3 nights, and finish up with 4 day shifts... then the gravy... a week off. 28 day rotation....
No OT.... we're salary... yipee :rolleyes: sense the sarcasm??
Been working the schedule for almost a decade now, and I might be going back to straight days shortly... don't know what that's going to be like... :rollside:
that sounds like a brutal sched.
it would take a week to recoup....
i'd like 4 on 4 off :cool:

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
that sounds like a brutal sched.
it would take a week to recoup....
i'd like 4 on 4 off :cool:
It's not to bad, remember you get 2 days between nights and days...
I've tried to get everyone to work a one rotation (28 days) of nights, then one rotation of days to cut down on the flip flop, but still no takers.
I worked 4 on 4 off for a while just so we could see how we liked it... to many weekends was the consensus, pointed out how that is all part of shift work, but no go.
I get 2 weekends a month on my schedule. The 4 on 4 off was nice, I could have stayed on it.
I never could talk anyone into a 7 on 7 off schedule... :D

charlyox
03-21-2005, 01:18 AM
there is some dude who works that keeps pushing for 7 on 7 off. It would take me 3 day's to recover form 7 day shifts.