PDA

View Full Version : 78 Spectra

fstdraw
03-19-2005, 06:38 PM
We have never owned a Spectra, Interested in buying a 20' w/a BBF,
any information who be helpful. Thanks, Nate

LUVNLIFE
03-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I had a 21. Def a bullet proof boat. Def handle some rough water. Well built for sure. If I still owned it I would do some upgrades and would have been happy. I'm a Chevy man so the motor is out :D Is it a jet or V-drive. I had a jet with a Jaquzzi, would have swapped that also. There are a few guys on the boards here that can give you loads of info, hopefully they will chime in. ;)

fstdraw
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Thank you for the info, Its a Jet boat w/a berkley jet. It is going to need some work on the motor, would love to switch to BBC. Is this hard to do?
missing the exhaust logs, carb. Not sure if it's suppose to have a windshield (can't tell from pic.) not real sure about the engine cover either-meaning if it came with one or not. Thanks again.

malcolm
03-20-2005, 07:51 PM
So you are looking to buy this boat?
The Ford is a good powerplant, just not quite as popular as the Chevy. The Berkely is the Chevy of jet pumps, that's for sure.
Look at spectramarine.com also
(I just came back from there, looks like you already found it) :D

fstdraw
03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Yes I found Spectra marine, hoping to get some answers there.

HavasuDreamin'
03-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Great boats. As with any old boat, check the stringers, bulkheads, and transom for wood rot or soft wood. Wood chips in the bilge are bad. Check the wood in the seats. Is it rotted?
It isn't hard to change power plants, you will need different motor mounts and a few other items though.
Good Luck.

spectras only
03-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Saw your post over at spectramarine . Spectra marine
never did wild graphics as you mentioned . Make sure the HIN #'s on the right rear upper corner starts with SPE .
Jets never had plywood transoms to worry about .The stringers are bullettproof ,but the floor in the center is a concern. Sterndrive and V-drive models came with full length stringers .Jets after 74 [ I think , Brent would know better] got away with partial stringers. The hull bottom is nearly 1" thick . You could have a shop install full length stringers and never worry about any kind of water.I've used mine for 26 years in the ocean and lakes ,and still looked new when sold it.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectra20.3jpg.jpg

Raskal
03-22-2005, 07:15 PM
is this the one http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/9/78646229.htm

fstdraw
03-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Yes that is it, but after contacting Brent, we found out it's a 19' & has been painted. 19' is ok with us but paint vs jelcoat isn't. so our search is still on.
Thanks anyway for everyones help. Nate