PDA

View Full Version : installing tow eyes

wrenchdaddy
03-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Im going to install two bow eyes on the back of my boat so i can have something to tie down to the trailer instead of using the pump. So should i get the 1/2 inch eyelets or the 3/8 inch ones? Also how do i go installing these puppies? Do i just drill out the holes and put sealant in them when I bolt them through? do I have to have a glassed block of wood behind them for support or will the transom work alright? Thanks guys

Taylorman
03-20-2005, 05:59 PM
The ones on my boat are 3/8. They go through a piece of wood on the inside of my transom.

wrenchdaddy
03-20-2005, 06:14 PM
anybody got any pics of what the back side looks like?

Devilman
03-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I'm just going back through the old holes with new hardware. Mine are 3/8" but there's no wood block inside. The old ones had little (steel?) plates on the outside, and inside too if I'm not mistaken... I thought for those I would just coat 'em with silicone since they stay way up away from the water.

Cas
03-21-2005, 08:01 AM
these are similar to the ones I just got
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/242175.jpg
difference is the ones I bought have a black plastic cover over the outside metal plate. Since they will be mounted on the black gel of my boat, I figured they'd blend in a little better. My other boats don't have any wood on the inside, just the metal plate.

wrenchdaddy
03-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys, ya those are the same ones i was thinking of getting.