PDA

View Full Version : New sony remote install

4day!!
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
i know alot of people have been posting lately about the sony remote and install. I just did mine last week. Here it is step by step. I have a sony 7715 HU, xm, ipod interface(connects2), sony xa-c30 and the new remote.
Taped off area
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2711start_800x600.jpg
Measured and circled out placement (3 1/4" hole, 3 7/8" total diameter of face of remote.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2711start1_800x600.jpg
Cut hole w/hole saw and sealed edge of hole
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2711hole_cut_800x600.jpg
Finished install
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2711finished_remote_800x600.jpg
Took me about an hour and ahalf, and 4 bottles of courage to get the nerve to cut the whole. after that it was about 15 minutes of install. Very simple and the thing is bitchin'. Full text display from ipod, xm or mp3 CD's.

Jyruiz
04-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Congrats, the remote looks good there and how are you liking the Connect2?

Outnumbered
04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
So that remote plugs into the XA-C30, not the remote jack right?

4day!!
04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
So that remote plugs into the XA-C30, not the remote jack right?
Correct, the only part of the remote that plugs into the HU is a mini plug. I have the remote, connects2, and xm all running into the xa-c30. The remote is constantly recognized no matter what source your HU is turned to.

Outnumbered
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Correct, the only part of the remote that plugs into the HU is a mini plug. I have the remote, connects2, and xm all running into the xa-c30. The remote is constantly recognized no matter what source your HU is turned to.
OK, thanks. So the round remote has a mini-jack and a uni-link cable. I see.

4day!!
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Congrats, the remote looks good there and how are you liking the Connect2?
I like it. The only thing that bugs me is that you cannot control the ipod from the ipod itself. Sometimes i like to listen to a certain genre and you cant get to it from the HU. You have to unplug the ipod select the genre and plug it back in. You can however select, artist, playlist, all songs or album from the HU. Just make sure to read the instructuons. It is based off shuffle(all, disc, off) will determine what you are selecting. I heard the PAC has more options and is only about $20 more. If i had to do it over again , i probably would have gotten the PAC. But this works fine and im happy with it.

4day!!
04-24-2006, 12:52 PM
OK, thanks. So the round remote has a mini-jack and a uni-link cable. I see.
yes, about 16' of each. I have heard that the unilink cable is not necassary, but you will lose some functions..??????

djunkie
04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Looks great. I still to to install mine but I'm having a real hard time getting myself to drill a 3" hole in my boat.

4day!!
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Looks great. I still to to install mine but I'm having a real hard time getting myself to drill a 3" hole in my boat.
My advice to you, start drinking heavily.....

Jyruiz
04-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I like it. The only thing that bugs me is that you cannot control the ipod from the ipod itself. Sometimes i like to listen to a certain genre and you cant get to it from the HU. You have to unplug the ipod select the genre and plug it back in. You can however select, artist, playlist, all songs or album from the HU. Just make sure to read the instructuons. It is based off shuffle(all, disc, off) will determine what you are selecting. I heard the PAC has more options and is only about $20 more. If i had to do it over again , i probably would have gotten the PAC. But this works fine and im happy with it.
Make a playlist for each genre and your problem is solved. I did this to control my iPod with a remote that does not allow me to change genres, only playlist.

4day!!
04-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Make a playlist for each genre and your problem is solved. I did this to control my iPod with a remote that does not allow me to change genres, only playlist.
Thats exactly what i was thinking...

Jyruiz
04-24-2006, 01:36 PM
yes, about 16' of each. I have heard that the unilink cable is not necassary, but you will lose some functions..??????
Any chance you know what functions?

4day!!
04-24-2006, 02:12 PM
text for sure...but with a xa-c30 theres really no reason to not to use the unilink cable. I think you can piggy back up to 3 xa-c30's, giving you 7 usable unilink connections.

h2oski2fast
04-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Still has all the functions, just doesn't have the display without the uni-link cable.

djunkie
04-24-2006, 02:24 PM
My advice to you, start drinking heavily.....
That can get ugly real quick. :rolleyes: :rollside:

Jyruiz
04-24-2006, 02:32 PM
I will be more than happy to drill the hole for you, you don't even have to watch.

Jyruiz
04-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Still has all the functions, just doesn't have the display without the uni-link cable.
So do you know if the the remote will work to control the PAC (which is uni-link) iPod interface if the the remote is only hooked up only with the mini-jack?

h2oski2fast
04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
So do you know if the the remote will work to control the PAC (which is uni-link) iPod interface if the the remote is only hooked up only with the mini-jack?
Yes it will. The PAC piece is designed to interface the Ipod with the radio, it has nothing to do with the remote. The uni-link cable for the remote is there for the sole purpose to give the display on the remote it's information. If the remote has the same buttons as the radio (ie: volume + and -, source, disc + and -, track + and-, mode), and those buttons are associated with the control of the Ipod then they will control the same functions as the corresponding radio buttons.

Jyruiz
04-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes it will. The PAC piece is designed to interface the Ipod with the radio, it has nothing to do with the remote. The uni-link cable for the remote is there for the sole purpose to give the display on the remote it's information. If the remote has the same buttons as the radio (ie: volume + and -, source, disc + and -, track + and-, mode), and those buttons are associated with the control of the Ipod then they will control the same functions as the corresponding radio buttons.
Cool, thanks for the input.

4day!!
04-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Nice job, although that's a little more beer than I like to see consumed by an amateur during a job of this magnitude. ;)
beer and power tools make a great combo :crossx: :crossx: . i was actually a cabinet maker and finish carpenter for about 12 years.

Jyruiz
04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Just ordered the PAC for the boat, can't wait to install it, no more messing with the iPod when in the boat, just use any of the remotes.

Jyruiz
05-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Well, I got the PAC yesterday and tried it on my Sony head unit in the truck and it is pretty cool. I really like how you can turn it off, or go to another source and the iPod will stop. Then when you come back to the iPod, it will resume from where you last left it.
Anybody ever try this ONE (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QlvKejIVJ9w/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=770&I=541PXDPA&search=sony+%2B+ipod) looks like it lets have more control over the iPod.

Jyruiz
05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, the Sony XA-110IP is not in stock at Crutchfield.com.

4day!!
05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Well, the Sony XA-110IP is not in stock at Crutchfield.com.
The website says it's in stock.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8od9q7ovIy7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=158XA110IP (http://)
Not sure how accurate that is though.
I put the USA Spec. ipod interface in my truck. They make one for GM factory radios.

Jyruiz
05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Crutchfield is very accurate.