PDA

View Full Version : 460 engine build advice

77_Tahiti
08-23-2001, 10:12 AM
Guys,
I think I may rebuild my motor this winter, currently I have a stock 460/panther jet (1976 engine?). I would like to get a little more speed and hole shot without sacrificing reliability. Also since I have young kids I would prefer to stay with thru-transom exhaust. How much horsepower would I give up by using the hardin logs I currently have? Below is a list of components I am considering, please give me some feedback, specifically better configurations, waste of money, overlooked items or total overkill!
Heads, find used Ford DOVE-C heads, $300+/-
Valves, Miloden, forged 21-4N SS, $170.
springs, Crane Cams, performance kit, $100.
roller rockers, Crane Cams, 1.7 ratio, $172.
push rods, Comp Cams, 3/8 heat treated, $150.
cam kit, I'm thinkin 230 dur @ .050 with .550 lift, $150+/-
timing chain, edelbrock performer, $57.
bolt kit, ARP 12-pt, $98.
gasket set, fel-pro, $60.
Piston, TRW forged flat top, $256.
ring set, TRW, $39
rods, existing if good, otherwise ?
bearings, Fed Mogul(rod-main-cam) $120.
crank, existing if good, otherwise ?
Oil Pan, extra capacity or stock?
Oil pump, high volume, brand?
manifold, edelbrock performer, $167
Carb, holley or edelbrock? cfm?
1" polymer card spacer, $20
Fuel pump not sure?
Wires, Ford Racing, 9mm, $48.
wire seperators, $30
Air filter, velocity stack?
machining, $500+/-
lookin like at least 2500-3000 bucks!!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

spectras only
08-23-2001, 10:55 AM
You covered it pretty much.I would get the rocker ratio up to 1.73. 1.7 is BBC ,high capacity pan w/baffle,ford stock oil pump is good,stock crank is good too. Speedpro high volume oilpump is a good choice.Holley mech fuel pump,130GPH 7.5-9 PSI,or Mallory electric with built in regulator.Go for Holley 850 vac sec marine carb,88 primaries,94 secondaries jets, with either 1" or 2" phenolic spacer, and coastguard appr barbron type air filter.9mm Taylor wires are good, or find wires with solid stainless core [I've run them for decades].

lakecrazy
08-23-2001, 11:44 AM
Use the heavy duty truck\marine connecting rods with football shaped rod bolt heads. I see these up for auction on e-bay all the time.
Much stonger rod than a standard passenger car unit.
Be sure to get them re-sized and install ARP rod bolts.
One other thing regarding your exhaust, your horsepower and rpm potential will be reduced using log exhaust with the cam and heads that you describe in your post.
[This message has been edited by lakecrazy (edited August 23, 2001).]

spectras only
08-23-2001, 03:54 PM
Actually,you can open up the log manifolds [by cutting the stepdown off the riser end] putting a 31/2 exhaust tip on, since almost every one of them left on by the builders.You'll even notice more bark from the engine afterwards.Having a cam with 550 lift, you won't notice much performance increase with larger manifolds, only my .02 cents.

08-23-2001, 04:55 PM
And clean out those pathetic exhaust ports! The DOVE heads will work good for your application. If your budget allows you might consider bigger valves to go with those newly ported heads, try 2.19" intake and 1.75" exhaust.

77_Tahiti
08-24-2001, 07:17 PM
spectras only,
What do you mean with regards to the cam and manifold combination not getting any HP increase? Also is there a significant amount of HP increase with 850cfm versus a 750cfm and will I see a lot more fuel usage? Man am I just wasting my "WIFES" money on this motor by keeping the stock exhaust on or the fact that im running a Panther jet? With regards to the roller rockers and a built set of heads is that really worth the bucks? Currently I'm running about 4100 RPM max, would this motor configuration push that RPM higher?
Lakecrazy,
What head setup, exhaust manifold and Cam would you recommend? I need to stay with thru transom exhaust because of my young kids plus I dont really want all the noise that over transom exhaust systems provide, guess I'm getting old.
058 & Spectras only,
I have been following your post for quite a while now with regards to motors, you guys really seem to know you stuff, and I respect that. Thanks for your input and please if you think I'm doing something wrong let me know. My main goal is to get my boat to run 65 plus here at 6000 feet and pull toys. I just learned how to wakeboard and it makes me feel like a kid again, hell I guess the whole jet boat thing makes me feel like a kid! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

77charger
08-24-2001, 07:35 PM
the only prob i see will be with the dove heads and a flat top piston you will have a high compression ratio(a good thing but will require good fuel).It will give you more power though.But keep in mind if you want to stay with pump gas other wise go for it.Also try the victor jr manifold rather than the performer.it will make more power were you'll need it and is a better choice for that cam.
[This message has been edited by 77charger (edited August 24, 2001).]

spectras only
08-24-2001, 09:35 PM
Tahiti, I've built a 460 with similar cam specs as yours, Dove-C heads ,10:1 comp pistons,Harman marine log manifolds ,stock SCJ intake ,850 Holley vac sec.It's been trouble free for 5 years now.It turned 5600RPM with "A" impeller.We put supertrapps on [to please my friend's neighbour up at the lake where we use it in the summer]wich cost a few hundred RPM's.Without the trapps I've GPS'd the boat at 72 MPH at sealevel.The carb has rather big jets 88 primaries and 94 secondaries,but performs flawlessly without jet changes up to 1500 feet above sealevel. At 6000 I would go down in jet size until you get the right colour on your plug.We can run this setup as low as 89 octane without detonation,and 91 is definately safe.We observed no gain in power or speed to go 94 Chevron.Max timing is set at 36 degrees for ease of starting as well. My friend is using this boat all summer long 4 days a week since his wife's a teacher and stays up at their summer house with their kids.This is a 19 foot Spectra.In my opinion a log manifold is quite capable to scavange the exhaust with 550 lift and 230 duration at 0.50 lift up to 5500-6000RPM.You'll have a nice family friendly setup without hurting your pocket too much.PS ; with the TRW flat tops you'll have about 9.3:1 comp ,so definately pump gas friendly.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited August 24, 2001).]

77charger
08-24-2001, 10:07 PM
forgot to mention that my motor is the 429.That is why i have a litle more compression with the dove heads.(i like the 429 over the previous 460)

08-24-2001, 11:35 PM
Do NOT run the Edelbrock Performer as the runners are too small for anything above 4K. If you wish to run a dual plane get a Performer RPM or better yet a Weiand Stealth with a 800 -850 cfm Holley. This set-up should be good to 6K as far as power is concerned. As to the pan, go as big as the hull will allow. [10-14 Qts] Don't try to run a stock 5 qt pan, it will pump dry and the next sound you will hear is that big sucking sound your [or your wife's] wallet will experence. Velocity stack? Don't bother, you need something that will smooth the airflow into the carb. All a velocity stack will do is try to suck turbulent air into the airhorn. This messes up carb metering. Go for a low restriction air filter such as a K&N unless you have an "IMSA" style scoop that reaches way above the boat and into clean air. I'm not quite sure what you are after or what kind of hull you have [other than a Tahiti] is it a 18' or a 21' day-cruiser? The difference is in the details.