PDA

View Full Version : Coil over conversion?

sigepmock
03-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Coil over conversion on 4x4 Chevy 2500HD, anybody beside Photoglou do one? I'm kicking the idea around. I am probably going to do most of the fab work myself just need help picking the right shock and spring rate. Any coil over guru's out there or can you recommend one?
Thanks,
Chris

PHOTOGLOU
03-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Coil over conversion on 4x4 Chevy 2500HD, anybody beside Photoglou do one? I'm kicking the idea around. I am probably going to do most of the fab work myself just need help picking the right shock and spring rate. Any coil over guru's out there or can you recommend one?
Thanks,
Chris
Anyone besides me Did I piss you off?????????? The King coil overs worked great I thought

Flying Tiger
03-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Do you really need to fab it yourself?
Is there a set out there on the market already?
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun42/PB260057.sized.jpg

CornWater
03-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks,
Chris
I'm sure if you go with King, they will determine the proper spring rate for you..

sigepmock
03-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Jay,
I'd love the same setup you have but I thought you said those guys went out of Business?? King's are the plan. Not sure if I asked this already but are the lower a-arms stock??
Duffster I could use as many pics as you can take. No hurry but if you can take some I'll owe you a few cold ones. :D I am going to stick with leaf springs in the back, I already have the air bags. Probably just move both shocks to behind/above the rear axle.
I talked with King shocks already and they only have a guess as to the spring rates to start with...valving shouldn't be to hard to figure out but I was hoping to talk with someone who had some first hand experience.
I kinda have the whole thing done in my head except for how to build the engine crossbrace between shock towers, the s/c is in the way. I'll probably have to go around the front of it because I don't think I can go over it. We'll see.
Thanks for all the info....every little bit helps.
Chris

UnionJack
03-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? 4wd makes it alot harder

sigepmock
03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
It's 4x, but that's what makes this so fun. :crossx:
Thanks again Dufster. If I'm out in your area maybe we could meet up? I'd love to see the truck in person to get some more ideas.
Chris

Goodtime$
03-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I used to prep Class 1 cars, prerunners and dirty things.
1. you are going to tear apart a truck and not be able to put it back to stock.
2.Gussett the lower a-arm, you have to weld a new mount to run the 2.5" shock and still have room for your CVs to cruise through.
3. Upper a/arm probably needs to get replaced, look around, some 4x4 lift kit arms will work, just add better bushings. Heims arent necessary up top unless your going baja 1000 style.
4. valving and spring rates will take a bit, talk to king, talk to eibach. Talk to whoever you can about spring rates, valving is the easy part. The shock will prob be a 10" so you prob wont be able to run two springs, one progressive rate and a standard rate, so check it out.
5. The cross brace is important, make a removable one over the radiator/belt area so you can still access your motor, ill post some pics of some Fords we built back in the day.
6. Best of luck, 3 wheel motion with coilovers is possible, its fun, just rotate your tires more often.
7. It wont be cheap, talk to a reputable fabricator in your area, when he is slow and looking for work, hit him up. Have the parts and it should only take a couple days to complete and paint. Cheers

sigepmock
03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks GoodTimes,
Sounds like I'm heading the right direction. I've got the the upper a-arms replaced already with a bolt in Moog ball joint, wish I had gone Uni-ball now :mad: , but they should work. You're right about the shock travle 10" is the max, not a lot of travel in the lentgh arms. I was thinking I would need to get the shocks first the fab to match the lengths. What about preloading the coil-over shocks? Do I fab the mounting points at the max length then us limiting straps or let the arms hit the stock bump stops and build the mounting points a little shorter than the shocks full extended length? ...or some combination of the two???
You're also right about the spring rates, everyone has their opinion. Should I try and weigh the front vs rear to try to help?
Thanks again for the info and any pics would be great. Oh yeah please don't tell my wife I'm planning any of this :D
Chris

Raskal
03-23-2005, 07:35 PM
that is a nice truck .soo no more torsion bars i like that . :D

sigepmock
03-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks duffster, those pics are perfect, just what I needed.
Chris