PDA

View Full Version : 455 olds opinions

kvnkvnhr@netscape.net
06-05-2001, 04:38 PM
how do you like the olds engines compared to other big block motors?

mario
06-06-2001, 07:33 AM
I have had several boats, my one with the chevy ran great and was cheap to rebuild. Then I bought my buddys old 18 ft advenger which had a 460 ford and never had a problem with it. he bought a little bigger boat which had a 455 olds and it ran great even had nitro on it and never had a problem if fact still running today 5 years later untouched besides oil changes and tune ups. I am now putting together a 28 ft jet boat and I am building a 455 olds for this one. My Opinion is that they all run good is just how much you have to spen on them to get them right. Chevy will always be your cheapiest way out but there is nothing wrong with the fords or olds motors. one day I would love to build a pontiac or an mopar for my son. who knows...
Mario

montrone
06-06-2001, 01:08 PM
I to have a olds 455 bored .90 over and for the most part no troubles. but from what i understand these engines hold oil in the heads with out letting it back down fast enough, causing them to get hot (blow gaskets). a buddy of mine told me this, but for the most part i like this engine.

dcraig
06-06-2001, 01:18 PM
Wow that's a very big boat for a jet. Based on its weight and length, sounds like you would need to run high rpm's consistently. That might be bad for the Olds as they don't like high rpm due to the oil related issues they have.
If you really want a jet drive on this boat, I would recommend a very large displacement engine like a 540 with gobbs of torque. That way you can run a very big impeller and keep the rpms down, cruise at a reasonable rpm, and get decent gas mileage.
Good luck with your project