PDA

View Full Version : Smokers on.. Or around your Boat..

GrapeApe
03-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Do you guys allow people to Smoke while on your Boat..? Also do you keep an eye on people flicking there ashes, while on or around the Boat. A buddy of mine has to get a seat bottom redone, and has numerous little burns on the Hatch due to people with no respect of other Peoples stuff.. He confronted the people on his boat that where smoking, which they replied "wasn't me".. I personally don't allow anyone to smoke while on my Boat... Just sucks that he has to fork out money for ignorant people...
*** Grape Ape ***

NashvilleBound
03-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I never, ever (which ever one is longer) would let someone smoke on my boat. I would be glad to drop them off for a break but thats as good as it gets.

abraman1326
03-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I personally do allow people to smoke on my boat. I haven't had any problems, but I tell you what, the first time I do, nobody will smoke on mine anymore. I feel relly bad for your friend. It really sucks that people don't have the respect for someone who is going out of their way to take you out boating, and you aren't going to show him any respect. If it were me, it would be the last time that group came boating w/ me. If you aren't going to respect my s&*t, you aren't coming along any more. It's my POS to screw up, not yours. I'll just take my ball and go home!!!
BRA

Her454
03-21-2005, 12:42 PM
........You light a cigarette in my boat and your going overboard. ;)

GrapeApe
03-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah I feel the same way... :boxingguy
*** Grape Ape ***

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-21-2005, 12:47 PM
get new friends!@!! just kidding.
I have only had one person on my boat that smoked and he was very polite about it. Not many of my friends smoke so it makes it easy.

cdog
03-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Just me so far. Cigars only.

BarryMac
03-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Nope, never on my boat, like Her454, if your gonna light up you had better be prepared to swim...

riverracerx
03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Two rules!
No sand
No smoking
I have an '01 and the second weekend I was out some lame ass bent over to look at the new ride and dropped an ash on my back seat. Burnt a nice hole in the vinyl. I had it patched but now a few years later there is a square patch mark showing on the seat. Pisses me off. The patch only is a short time solution. :hammerhea

svlperry
03-21-2005, 01:14 PM
i let them as long as were going slow like on a night cruise

INSman
03-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't even really associate myself or family with smokers, so that would probably give you my answer :hammerhea

Dribble
03-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Smokings Ok but if you fart in my boat you're going overboard.

dicudmore
03-21-2005, 01:22 PM
my girl smokes....but if I ever had an upholstery burn or anything SOMEBODY would be hurt :wink:

superdave013
03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't blame ya. So, how is the project firewood coming along anyway?
Me, no smokers and no drunks

CrazyHippy
03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
If i see smoke coming from your face, i will assume you are on fire, and take approprite action :D :boxingguy
BJH

wantacat
03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
I don't even really associate myself or family with smokers, so that would probably give you my answer :hammerhea
Exactly!!

jackpunx
03-21-2005, 01:27 PM
If i see smoke coming from your face, i will assume you are on fire, and take approprite action :D :boxingguy
BJH
LMAO..
I smoke.. and dont mind if people with respect smoke on mine when its not moving..
I have never had an issue.. I have lots of friends with very expensive boats that have never had an issue either..

Jordy
03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Is the kick in the junk before or after the short trip out??? :D :D :D

Backfire
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Smoking is, by nature, a dirty, slovenly habit. It's only been through society's attitude change toward smoking that smokers have started to get a clue about the effects of their emmissions and litter on other people. Most of the hardcore type of smokers still continue to insist that their nasty habit has no effect on others.
Smoke on my boat? Not a chance!

Her454
03-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I don't blame ya. So, how is the project firewood coming along anyway?
Project Firewood is progressing - and there will no smoking in that either ;).
Is the kick in the junk before or after the short trip out??? :D :D :D
Whatever it takes........................

RiverRatMike
03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Project Firewood is progressing - and there will no smoking in that either ;).
Whatever it takes........................
I smoke on my boat all the time and all smokers welcome. Wouldn't go boating without my pack of smokes. :D

Kilrtoy
03-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Great Thread...
Almost everyone I know that goes on my boat has a boat...
So they few that do smoke would never ask to smoke on my boat..
Smoking is rude no matter where you are.....
Im still coughing up shit from this weekend after spending two nights at a club.... :hammer2:

DUNDUN
My dad smokes in his boat, but I can't recall others smoking in it.

RiverDave
I smoke on my boat every weekend.. ??? Lots of others smoke on my boat every weekend as well, and rarely if at all do I ever have issues? Guess it just depends on the amount of respect your friends have for your stuff..
Overall if something does happen though, I'm not going to flip out about it, and scream and yell and pitch a fit. Worse comes to worse I'd just go get a seat re-upholstered.. Then again, I believe a boats purpose in life is to be used, not just sit there and look pretty on the beach. What's the point of having a "fun" toy if your not going to go out and have fun on it?
RD

OGShocker
03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Im still coughing up shit from this weekend after spending two nights at a club.... :hammer2:
I thought that was from the whacka's. :rollside:
We allow it but, only at idle while teak surfing. :notam:

RiverDave
03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
You know I'd love to quit smoking, I really would.. Rather hard to think of anything else that goes better with a cold beer, but none the less I would like to quit just to be healthier..
The "high and mighty" california attitudes though.. LOL That shit cracks me up. All ya all can kiss my pimpin ass.. :D j/k
RD

Her454
03-21-2005, 01:56 PM
I smoke on my boat every weekend.. ??? Lots of others smoke on my boat every weekend as well, and rarely if at all do I ever have issues? Guess it just depends on the amount of respect your friends have for your stuff..
Overall if something does happen though, I'm not going to flip out about it, and scream and yell and pitch a fit. Worse comes to worse I'd just go get a seat re-upholstered.. Then again, I believe a boats purpose in life is to be used, not just sit there and look pretty on the beach. What's the point of having a "fun" toy if your not going to go out and have fun on it?
RD
To each his own. I dont smoke so I sure dont want someone else lighting up in my boat. And if they do, its flat out rude. I also consider it a safety factor - too many ways to catch fire with an open motor sitting back there and fuel tanks on both sides. All it takes is one careless idiot.
And anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my "High and Mighty" california ass and sit on the beach or in their own damn boat. :)

RiverDave
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
To each his own. I dont smoke so I sure dont want someone else lighting up in my boat. And if they do, its flat out rude. I also consider it a safety factor - too many ways to catch fire with an open motor sitting back there and fuel tanks on both sides. All it takes is one careless idiot.
Lots of different types of boating out there. ;) I was referring more to the big boat crowd on this deal. Although I will say I smoked a cigarette in a blown alcohol flat, and one or two in Tony's old boat Cole Cash.. (Needed to calm my nerves a little bit after the ride)
RD

Her454
03-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Lots of different types of boating out there. ;) I was referring more to the big boat crowd on this deal. Although I will say I smoked a cigarette in a blown alcohol flat, and one or two in Tony's old boat Cole Cash.. (Needed to calm my nerves a little bit after the ride)
RD
I was referring to boats in general, I dont consider myself special. Just more dangerous in an open motor atmosphere. :)
LMAO on the nerve thing........................:)

Kilrtoy
03-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought that was from the whacka's. :rollside:
We allow it but, only at idle while teak surfing. :notam:
They only smoke when cold.....but that is a good kinda smoke....

Dr. Eagle
03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Being as how my wife smokes cigarettes and I have a hard enough time getting her to go on the boat anymore, I allow her to do it. But only while the boat is floating or anchored... not moving at all. I smoke a Cigar on occasion out there myself... same rules. :D

jbtrailerjim
03-21-2005, 02:26 PM
No smoking in my boat. None of my friends or family smoke anyways. So, its really not an issue for me.
Since were on the subject of smoking and boating. Does it piss anyone else off when they see a smoker that throws there cigarette butt into the lake. Damn, that really pisses me off. :mad: :hammerhea

dicudmore
03-21-2005, 02:44 PM
No smoking in my boat. None of my friends or family smoke anyways. So, its really not an issue for me.
Since were on the subject of smoking and boating. Does it piss anyone else off when they see a smoker that throws there cigarette butt into the lake. Damn, that really pisses me off. :mad: :hammerhea
That is definite BS....there's an empty soda can or something laying around that could go in

WYRD
03-21-2005, 02:46 PM
That is definite BS....there's an empty soda can or something laying around that could go in
I think there is a shortage of "SODA" cans at the river :crossx:

MAINEVENT
03-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I smoke on my boat all the time but will never smoke on someone elses boat accident happen no matter how careful you are SO NO i would not smoke on anyone's boat but mine :p I can wait PLUS I QUIT :boxingguy :boxingguy unless i am drinking heavily ;)

Dr. Eagle
03-21-2005, 02:47 PM
The silver ones?
Colorado Cool Aid... :D

dicudmore
03-21-2005, 02:48 PM
you know damn well what kind of soda I meant :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Me and the hubby both smoke, needless too say, we smoke on our boat. Only when floating though. No smoking while boat running. And NEVER do we throw our butts in the river. I try and keep a Gatorade bottle or something with a lid on our boat so I can put ciggie butts in there.
I always try to be very courteous to people around me too when smoking. I don't even like to smoke indoors even though its legal in AZ. On the other hand though, I don't dig those, as RD put it, High and Mighty people out there who consider themselves a better person than someone who smokes. I would never hold the fact that someone smokes against them, as long as they were courteous and aware of the people around them.
:)

hoolign
03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
As long as it's not crack...Nowhere to hide in the middle of the lake :D

mark matthews
03-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Not a chance !
I quit smoking in 1986 '
hardest thing I ever did . :cry:
One of the biggest reason's I dont want smokers on board ' ..is when there are motor or sandbar problem's ..........
They dont have enough breath (bad at that )to push, pull or swim! :p
EX - SMOKER'S hate it worse than others .
(PS jus' testin' the water here ;) )

hoolign
03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Not a chance !
I quit smoking in 1986 '
hardest thing I ever did . :cry:
One of the biggest reason's I dont want smokers on board ' ..is when there are motor or sandbar problem's ..........
They dont have enough breath (bad at that )to push, pull or swim! :p
EX - SMOKER'S hate it worse than others .
betcha want one right now!..I know i do

One Particular Harbor
03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Personally, never cared for cigarettes, but chewed tobacco in high school, so I know how damn addicting the stuff is. Still crave tobacco every time I drink.
Anyway, I don't care if you smoke at all, but don't really want you to do it on my boat. RD, I respect what you say about "boats are for having fun with," but, in between rides on the boat, we all seem to spend a lot of time in the water, on the sand, etc. All I ask is that you hold out on the cigarettes until you're on the beach or in the water, then by all means, smoke away.
And, yeah, butts on the beach and butts tossed out the windows of cars do piss me off. Again, don't mind smokers one bit, just don't want to pick up after them (or the people that leave the beer cans, dirty diapers, etc.).
OPH

surfer2001
03-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I allowed it until my boat got it first burn, which happened near the end of last summer. Who ever did it kept it a secret, so now it over for everybody.

AvengerBabe
03-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Do you guys allow people to Smoke while on your Boat..? Also do you keep an eye on people flicking there ashes, while on or around the Boat. A buddy of mine has to get a seat bottom redone, and has numerous little burns on the Hatch due to people with no respect of other Peoples stuff.. He confronted the people on his boat that where smoking, which they replied "wasn't me".. I personally don't allow anyone to smoke while on my Boat... Just sucks that he has to fork out money for ignorant people...
*** Grape Ape ***
Hey GA--
No smoking on my boat or around me... I like my lungs just like my boat, Pink! ;)
Thought I would just get that out there before you did!

GrapeApe
03-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey GA--
No smoking on my boat or around me... I like my lungs just like my boat, Pink! ;)
Thought I would just get that out there before you did!
You are too funny..... :hammerhea Are you guys taking the Boat out for an Easter Egg Hunt this weekend..? j/k.. What time will you guys be getting to the River on the 1st...? I can't friggin wait...
*** Grape Ape ***

AvengerBabe
03-21-2005, 03:49 PM
You are too funny..... :hammerhea Are you guys taking the Boat out for an Easter Egg Hunt this weekend..? j/k.. What time will you guys be getting to the River on the 1st...? I can't friggin wait...
*** Grape Ape ***
We are leaving about 6pm Friday night!! We are probably going to leave the boat out there from now on so that we don't have to tow it... I cant wait! It's driving me insane! :mix: When are you headed out? Who will be going with you guys (the 4 of you?)

bordsmnj
03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
You know I'd love to quit smoking, I really would.. Rather hard to think of anything else that goes better with a cold beer, but none the less I would like to quit just to be healthier..
The "high and mighty" california attitudes though.. LOL That shit cracks me up. All ya all can kiss my pimpin ass.. :D j/k
RD
exactly. :D
i smoke mostly at a stand still sometimes on a long idle through nowake zone.
but others smoking on my boat? maybe,depends.

78Anthonyjet
03-21-2005, 05:41 PM
there would be noone on my boat, the smoker drives while i drink :rollside:

jlnorthrup122
03-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Me nos mokey!!!! If you lite up in my boat you better be passin that shit to ther rest of the boys when the kids arent around!! :D :D Hell even crack too I'll try anything once :D

mark matthews
03-21-2005, 06:05 PM
No one really want's to smoke anyway . :)

Ultrafied
03-21-2005, 06:26 PM
My wife and I smoke, so yes, we smoke on the boat. Only at an idle, like in the Channel, never moving fast. As far as my firends go, they all have boats themselves and most smoke too. They are always considerate and haven't had a problem yet. :eat:

svlperry
03-21-2005, 06:35 PM
RDright on dave that's the way i feel about it

robert_pv
03-21-2005, 08:11 PM
NO SMOKING!!! :yuk:

Dusty Times
03-21-2005, 08:20 PM
No Smoking on my boat. I've got an extra fire extinguisher for that.
Don't like cigarette butts floating around either. :mad:

Kilrtoy
03-21-2005, 08:22 PM
most smoke too. They are always considerate and haven't had a problem yet. :eat:
Yeah and I fart in public, but im considerate when I do it.....

robert_pv
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
You must mean the silent type. Thats much more considerate.... :cry:

Johnny Holstein
03-21-2005, 08:39 PM
So just that the heck are you all smoking anyway?
http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/IMPACT/362446.jpg

RiverDave
03-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering where all the people are that do let people smoke on their boats? I've smoked a stogy on just about everybodies boat that I've met on here at one point or another?? and nobody ever said anything to me?
To be quite honest it never even occurred to me that in an open air enviroment like that it'd be considered rude?
RD

djunkie
03-22-2005, 11:44 AM
I let people smoke on my boat. But then again I usually just have my good friends with me and they are careful with them. Never had a problem. But I wouldn't let RD smoke on my boat. That guys kinda crazy. After he smokes his cig. he'll wanna smack your ass too. :hammerhea :D

Tom Brown
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
To be quite honest it never even occurred to me that in an open air enviroment like that it'd be considered rude?
I don't think it's the second hand smoke that bothers people, at least not if the smoker is down wind. I suspect people are annoyed by the little barely noticeable (until they start to get numerous) burn spots where ash has melted the seat vinyl. It's freaking infuriating to have your stuff damaged by someone else's habit.
I let my Dad smoke on my boat, though. He did a hell of a lot of the restoration work on it and I don't mind if he smokes on it here or there. He taps the ash over the side and flicks the but in the water when done. I should probably ground him the next time he does that. :D

Cole Trickle
03-22-2005, 11:55 AM
No smoking on the boat or in my cars.
What people do is there buissness I just won't risk the chance of burning my interior.
Brandin

a catered life
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
BJH
i actually found my self laughing out loud at this one :smile:

tamalewagon
03-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Just had the upholstry redone...anybody smoking in the Tamalewagon gets to walk the plank.

rrrr
03-22-2005, 01:54 PM
I hate that sh*t when we are wading around the boats on the beach. I return to sender when possible.
Our boat has a big molded in swin platform, the smokers are allowed to sit on it and smoke but I still watch 'em. My wife smokes, so I trust her to run the "smoking area" with an iron hand. :boxingguy :hammerhea

rrrr
03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
RD
No one has ever mistaken RD for someone who has manners.... :hammerhea :D :D

superdave013
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm wondering where all the people are that do let people smoke on their boats? I've smoked a stogy on just about everybodies boat that I've met on here at one point or another?? and nobody ever said anything to me?
RD
It's not so much that it's rude. The second hand smoke is no big woop really out in a boat. It's just that some people have an enormous amount of "pride of ownership". They don't want to re-do a seat and saying your sorry is not good enough. For a guy like that it's best for him to nip it in the bud and just not allow it in the first place. That way no feelings will be hurt.
My brother is like that. His '89 Correct Craft still looks brand new to this day. He had a new Z28 back when that was the hot car. Gave a guy a ride to the lake and the dude cried and cried to have a smoke. He gave in and bigger then shit the guy burnt the door panel. My bro was fockin hot as a fire cracker. He got it fixed (on his own dime) but still, his perfect car now had a replaced door panel.
For me it's more of a fire hazerd. My tanks are huge and the vents are in the same area as the seats. We all know high hp needs big vents too. Flip an ash over the side and maybe, just maybe BOOM.

jbtrailerjim
03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
RD
Dave, for me it is not the smoke that bothers me outside. I just don't want somebody dropping an ash on to one of my seats and burning a hole in it. I take a ton of pride in my stuff and I don't care how careful people say they will be....accidents happen.

Desert Rat
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Just me so far. Cigars only.
Ditto.............

ahhell
03-22-2005, 05:20 PM
No one i hang with smokes...any more
smoking is done OUT OF THE BOAT.....thank you

Tom Brown
03-22-2005, 05:24 PM
It looks like we've got the smoking thing sorted out. :cool:
Now... what if someone has really bad gas? Let's say, for example, that someone had never experienced Mexican food before and found that it reacted terribly with them. Perhaps they are used to the rather bland food of the Canadian prairies, for example. Can they sit down wind or are they relegated to the water and their own jet pump?

franky
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
this is my biggest pet peeve (right there with throwin a lit cig out the window of a car). if you are gonna smoke then don't let it effect others. I hate pigf@ckers that just throw the butt on the beach, in the water anywhere it doesn't belong GET A FRICKEN CLUE. I have no issue with going over, picking it up and throwin it right into there boat and waiten for a response.

mbrown2
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
RD
I will smoke socially at time and yes, I smoke on the boat...nothing better than a nice afternoon float, a cocktail and a cigar......I also let others smoke when we are doing 100+...j/k....I mean when we are floating...most will get up on the sponsons or the rear of the hatch on the swimsteps...my friends whether they smoke or not have been around boats and are considerate....and if one f's something up they will offer to pay....boats are to enjoy and if some of my friends enjoy smoking...just be considerate and there is no big deal....this debate seems like it is more about the views of non-smokers towards smokers then do you allow smoking in boats..

Sleek-Jet
03-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I say we take everyone that smokes out back and beat the sht out of them ... and Tom Brown too while we're at it... :D
I agree with Dave on this one. My boat is a toy, toys get used and dinged up. Granted, I'd be pissed if someone burned a hole in my seat. but wtf, I usually do more damage than that. I spend to much money on my toys not to enjoy them, and that means enjoying them with friends that smoke, so be it. I'd get even by riding the culprits ass about it for the rest of their days...

deltarat
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Wow aren't you just the fun police...........in all seriousness if you smoke in my boat and I find a burn in it, you better hope we launched close to your house because its going to be a long wet walk home.

superdave013
03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I have a few reasons about no drunks.
#1. the boat is rigged open stinger and exposed engine. I don't need some drunks toes in the prop shaft or their skin on my turbos.
#2. Drunks bug me unless I'm drunk too. But those days are long gone when in my boat. Part of that comes from having a dad that's a drunk. I had to put up with that for the first 21 years of my life. I still have to put up with my dad but I don't have to put up with drunks on my boat.

TCHB
03-22-2005, 08:52 PM
No Smoking Allowed on the boat.

Kilrtoy
03-22-2005, 09:00 PM
RD
Dave you have an open invitation on the boat, BUT you will never smoke on it.....

Ultrafied
03-22-2005, 09:03 PM
I agree with Dave on this one. My boat is a toy, toys get used and dinged up. Granted, I'd be pissed if someone burned a hole in my seat. but wtf, I usually do more damage than that. I spend to much money on my toys not to enjoy them, and that means enjoying them with friends that smoke, so be it. I'd get even by riding the culprits ass about it for the rest of their days...
Amen ...

GrapeApe
03-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Dave you have an open invitation on the boat, BUT you will never smoke on it.....
He wont smoke... Just Drool all over it... :D
*** Grape Ape ***

Ultrafied
03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
LOL ... well Miguel, since you are considerate, you're welcome on my boat ... even if you do fart!

RiverDave
03-23-2005, 10:46 AM
LOL... Thanks for the invitation on the boat Miguel. :) I will recriprocate, you and yvonne (sp?) have an open invitation on my boat, and you can do whatever the hell you want on it so long as at the end of the day some interior cleaner, and spray wax will clean it up.. ;) let me amend that.. So long as the activities at hand are atleast border line "legal" in all 50 states as well. ;) :D
RD <--- not to big of a stickler for the rules, but not trying to end up on the sex offender list either.. :D

Scream
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Well, no smoking on "It's a Scream". Used to be a smoker and quit--twice--hence most of the big gut. The second time it took. RD, you should quit for your health and your health only. It'd be one the hardest things you ever did but it would be worth it in the end IMO.
I too believe that our boat is a toy that is to be used, but for what I paid for it I'm gonna keep it as nice as I can for as long as I can...lol
As for cig butts...I used to toss them everywhere. Never thought about it much till I started picking the sumbitches up. They're everywhere. We did a coastal cleanup last year along a stretch of Huntington Beach and it is just incredible the amount of cig buts burried in the sand. Those things will never break down and never go away.
I especially like it when I see a pile of ashes and butts at a stop sign. Classy. I'm glad that California took smoking out of public areas. This happened when I was a smoker and I was in favor of it then and certainly am now. I have problems going into a restaurant in Vegas or AZ and there's smoking and realize how nice it is not to have that smoke interfering with my meals at home...
Tom Brown, you need to start another thread...lol
Scream