PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player direct to amp.

bocco
03-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I am in the process of installing a sound system from scratch in my day cruiser. I have limited space for a receiver and it was suggested in another thread to try Ipod straight into an amp. This sounds perfect to me. Has anybody actually done this? I've seen the mini jack to RCA cable and it seems straght forward how to hook it up. I'm just not sure if the voltage levels are correct.

riverbound
03-21-2005, 02:18 PM
I have done this in the past. I would recommend using a Line driver. Most MP3 Players have avery low level output, and to get decent sound you will need to boost that up. In my Parent's Stoker I did the Ipod into two rockford amps and it sounds really good. We are also redoing their Supra and will be doing a similar set up in there with the Ipod.

bocco
03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I have done this in the past. I would recommend using a Line driver. Most MP3 Players have avery low level output, and to get decent sound you will need to boost that up. In my Parent's Stoker I did the Ipod into two rockford amps and it sounds really good. We are also redoing their Supra and will be doing a similar set up in there with the Ipod.
Riverbound, Whats a line driver? Also did you connect to the speaker level inputs or the RCA jacks (low level?)
Thanks

phebus
03-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Riverbound, the older generation iPods used the headphone jack as the line out. I was told the newer generation iPods (3.0 generation) have a line out from the 30 pin plug on the dock on the bottom of the iPod. Would that effect the install as far as output?

bocco
03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
OK, I looked up a line driver on the Crutchfield page and did some reading. Looks like amps take 2 different input levels, speaker and pre-amp. So I guess the real question is if the output level of an MP3 player is speaker, pre-amp or some other level that works with little headphones?

riverbound
03-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Riverbound, Whats a line driver? Also did you connect to the speaker level inputs or the RCA jacks (low level?)
Thanks
A line driver is basically an amp for the signal. We used to use them alot back in the day (before high voltage decks)
Parker (Dave) has them available at his shop (909)481-8411.

riverbound
03-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Riverbound, the older generation iPods used the headphone jack as the line out. I was told the newer generation iPods (3.0 generation) have a line out from the 30 pin plug on the dock on the bottom of the iPod. Would that effect the install as far as output?
I have always just used the headphone jack. Ease of installation and the cables are easier to route. I dont think the output is any different.