PDA

View Full Version : Rollmaster timing sets

Fiat48
03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Confirmed with Scoggin Dickey today that they have them in stock. You must specify the Iwis (German) chain. Others selling them have Rolon chains and they are said to be not as good. Just a heads up.

GofastRacer
03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info good to know, if you're going to run a chain the Iwis is the only one to use!..

victorfb
03-22-2005, 11:58 AM
do they make them for the gen6 BBC? not much to choose from on the gen6 stuff. i hate when these suppliers all think they know it all and tell you the gen5 and gen6 use the same timing gears, then they get pissed when you dont buy it.

CARLSON-JET
03-22-2005, 12:33 PM
This is kind of interesting Victor. they said the same thing about the SBC with the one piece main roller motor. On my sbc I used a cam button, no machining 60 k miles later still good to go. I would venture to guess it could be done but would have to be mocked up. By using an earlier style cam and button that this style chain would work. The crank in a gen 6 works in a gen 5. The only diffrence I could see was that the cam plate bolts have a new location due to oil galleries. With a cam button the plate deal would be eliminated. I guess the big issue is #1 is the gen 6 cam gear location the same as the earlier blocks. #2 is there any machining needed to be done for the cam gear clearance behind it ... I bet it has been tried and somebody knows for sure. Dragboats has a gen 6 block and could measure this and it could be compared to a gen 4 or 5 block. ( I'm willing) I hypothisize this as GM bean counters cry when the engineers want new tooling, so I predict in my scenario it should work. any other thoughts anybody?

CARLSON-JET
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Dragboats .. I have the 4 and 5 covered. if the 6 is easliy accessable please do .. to keep it somewhat simple I guess measuring from the timing cover surface to the cam gear wear surface would suffice.(think this is a decent starting point?) I realize that not everybody wants to retrofit a 4-5 cam into a 6 but it could add options to the list of combinations available.

Fiat48
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Rollmaster does make a set for Gen 6. Fact I saw a brand new one on Ebay also.

speedaddict
03-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Just a heads up, I bought a rollmaster set from ebay a while back, advertised to have the iwis chain, and it ended up being a rolon. The company didn't seem to care they were misrepresenting the part, but at least they refunded. Skogin dickey sdpc2000.com is where I picked up a legit set for a reasonable price. This was for an ls1/ls6 motor, but just thought I'd put it out there.

steelcomp
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
This sucks...I bought a Rollmaster from Comp Products. Great price...$89.95
Package says "top quality German Iwis chain." So I thought I'd check, after reading this post. It's a freekin Rolon.
The more I do business with Comp Products, the more I wish I hadn't. :lightsabe
How "bad" can the Rolon be??...Never mind. They were supposed to have sold me the Iwis...that's what I'll get. :coffeycup

Fiat48
03-22-2005, 10:03 PM
I called competitoin products when I was ordering pistons..had them check and they said it was a Rolon chain. So..I didn't buy. $95 at Scoggin.

Infomaniac
03-23-2005, 04:14 AM
Gen VI cam is smaller diameter where timing chain bolts on. Not even close to IV and V

Fiat48
03-23-2005, 09:28 PM
The rollmaster set got here today and it is correct. Made in Australia.