PDA

View Full Version : wiring and chain extensions for trailers

SoCal_fun
03-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Anybody have any experience with this stuff that can help a brother (posse) out?? I have to add a few feet of wiring to my boat trailer and add some longer chains as well. This is due to the camper we got, as it has the extended rear end and we now have to run a hitch extension.

a catered life
03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
new camper? wtf :confused:

CrazyHippy
03-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Be careful adding longer chains, they are supposed to be short, so the tongue can hit the ground if the hitch fails.
As far as the wiring goes, i can do that stuff :rollside: :boxed:
Is it a flat 4 style, or something else? And how long do you want?
BJH

LHC30Victory
03-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Be careful adding longer chains, they are supposed to be short, so the tongue can hit the ground if the hitch fails.
As far as the wiring goes, i can do that stuff :rollside: :boxed:
Is it a flat 4 style, or something else? And how long do you want?
BJH
I think you mean so that the tongue CANNOT hit the ground in the event of a hitch failure.

CrazyHippy
03-22-2005, 01:59 PM
good catch (bad pun)
BJH

SoCal_fun
03-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Yea, the flat style is what I need. Just need to extend it a couple feet. Your in Vegas though aren't you??
I appreciate the offer, I'm hopin Rich or someone close by has some experience doin this stuff??

SoCal_fun
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
new camper? wtf :confused:
Hey Willie, yea, I got a truck camper and to be able to tow I need longer wiring extensions. I can't believe the RV dealer (YOungs) said they don't just make a stock add on off the shelf.... WTF??
I hate wiring stuff, always screw it up and explode sumtin...

CrazyHippy
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm in Ventura, and can Pre make one, it's only 4 wires :)
BJH :rollside:

SoCal_fun
03-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm in Ventura, and can Pre make one, it's only 4 wires :)
BJH :rollside:
Mine has a total of 5 pins on it, 4 that are male type and 1 female type. Do you know what connector I mean??? It's flat but with 5 pins total. I can take some pics when it stops raining here and put them up.

Procraftkev
03-22-2005, 04:11 PM
So cal fun you can buy a 36 in 5 pin ext male on on end female on the other. Also you should insall some heavyduty eyes at the end of your hitch ext and run saftey chain from the receiver to the eyes on ext then hook your boat safety chains to the eyes on the ext.Rember your ext needs to be heavy duty.

SoCal_fun
03-22-2005, 04:15 PM
So cal fun you can buy a 36 in 5 pin ext male on on end female on the other. Also you should insall some heavyduty eyes at the end of your hitch ext and run saftey chain from the receiver to the eyes on ext then hook your boat safety chains to the eyes on the ext.Rember your ext needs to be heavy duty.
Where can I get this?? The RV dealer didn't carry it. Trailer end is 4 male, 1 female and truck adapter end is 4 male 1 female.
And thanks for the chain advice....

Procraftkev
03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Ill find out tomarrow and post back on this thread.

LUVNLIFE
03-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey Larry look around, I have seen the extensions for sale. Try some trailer places. If you don't find one you can easily whip one up with some wire and ends. How much of a hitch extension are you looking for? It will have to be solid stock. Might want to check with some trailer shops or hitch places that do welding, they could hook you up. :wink:

Desert Rat
03-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Anybody have any experience with this stuff that can help a brother (posse) out?? I have to add a few feet of wiring to my boat trailer and add some longer chains as well. This is due to the camper we got, as it has the extended rear end and we now have to run a hitch extension.
I'm right around the corner and wire things for a living. I can help you out as long as it is durning the week. I will be out of town this weekend. If you want to get the connectors I can get some nice nylon covering at work to make it clean. Check your PM's. By the way I think we meet at Scott and Debs super bowl party.

SoCal_fun
03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm right around the corner and wire things for a living. I can help you out as long as it is durning the week. I will be out of town this weekend. If you want to get the connectors I can get some nice nylon covering at work to make it clean. Check your PM's. By the way I think we meet at Scott and Debs super bowl party.
Thanks again all!! I think I found what I need at www.jetconnex.com They have a whole slew of connector choices. I ordered what I think I need and will let you guys know how it turns out.
Thanks again for all the kind offers of help. Little Rich, I'll still keep you in mind for the brakes when I'm ready... lol! :shift:

roostwear
03-22-2005, 11:07 PM
See if this is what you need. (http://www.championtrailers.com/TRAILER_WIRING.htm)

SoCal_fun
03-23-2005, 03:54 AM
See if this is what you need. (http://www.championtrailers.com/TRAILER_WIRING.htm)
YES!! that will work. It is much cheaper than the jet connex. I'll get this one also and see which is a better quality/fit.
Thank You!! I love this place, you guys are so helpful! :)

MudPumper
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
So Cal, this is what I use It plugs directly into the truck umbilical for the camper and powers the camper tail lights and has a Y that drops down for the trailer hitch extension. No splicing into the trucks factory wires. I have the Reese 41" extension. Youngs is a dealer for TorkLift and Reese and should have been able to hook you up with the right harness. What camper are you using and on what truck?? This is the hitch I have: Titan Class V hitch box extension. All the necessary chain attachment points come on the extension.
http://www.reesehitch.com/pg14/45162.jpg
NO-SPLICE COMBINATION SLIDE-IN TRUCK/CAMPER AND TRAILER TOWING WIRE HARNESS
TorkLift Harness (http://www.torklift.com/wiring_harnesses.htm)

SoCal_fun
03-24-2005, 04:13 AM
So Cal, this is what I use It plugs directly into the truck umbilical for the camper and powers the camper tail lights and has a Y that drops down for the trailer hitch extension. No splicing into the trucks factory wires. I have the Reese 41" extension. Youngs is a dealer for TorkLift and Reese and should have been able to hook you up with the right harness. What camper are you using and on what truck?? This is the hitch I have: Titan Class V hitch box extension. All the necessary chain attachment points come on the extension.
http://www.reesehitch.com/pg14/45162.jpg
NO-SPLICE COMBINATION SLIDE-IN TRUCK/CAMPER AND TRAILER TOWING WIRE HARNESS
TorkLift Harness (http://www.torklift.com/wiring_harnesses.htm)
I'm running an 05 F250 and an 05 Lance 845 camper. I gor a reese extension, but it doesn't have the chain attachments?????
This must be a fairly common application (truck camper pulling boat or other trailer) so I can't figure out why it is hard to find the right stuff. I would've thought Youngs (where I bought the camper) would have had the right hookup but the didn't... :(
Thanks for the info.. I might get that other reese hitch extension or just modify the chains.

SoCal_fun
03-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I got the jet connex stuff in the mail today. Nice product. I got the 3 foot 5 flat to 7 round connector and it works great. I might go with the whole new titan setup like above though.
Thanks!

MudPumper
03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
So Cal, I bought that hitch from Youngs. It's a little pricy but it's nice. I think it only fits the Titan class V. The tube is bigger than standard. Here is a pic of the rig.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3033FC_Rig-med.JPG

SoCal_fun
03-24-2005, 09:39 PM
So Cal, I bought that hitch from Youngs. It's a little pricy but it's nice. I think it only fits the Titan class V. The tube is bigger than standard. Here is a pic of the rig.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3033FC_Rig-med.JPG
Nice rig! Similar to what I've got now except no dually. I'll be adding airbags next week via ORU in burbank. What model camper is that??
Ahhhh, my factory hitch may not fit with that extension then.