PDA

View Full Version : Help With Speeding Ticket!!??

FRENCHIE
03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Yesterday about noon while running home for lunch i got pulled over only a mile from home, on a long straight away....posted 45 mph and the motorcycle officer told me i was doing 55 m p h according to his radar and laser that he got me on!!
I then nicely showed him all the req info he asked for and said i was sure i was not going 55, and requested he show me on the radar detector he clocked me at 55 mph! ( i recalled a coupel years back on rice road i asked for it to be shown and the chp off showed me...therefore i could not saya a thing!)
never the less the cop yesterday said "well i might not have it now let me look!" and i said, " you only just pulle dme over and have not used it on anyone else???" so he walked to his bike, a minute later came back and said it must have accidently cleared when he put it in its holster!!??" i said ok, " see you on my court date, in a nice manner!" and i was off!!
Anyone got any advise here, or do i have anything!!? :confused:

Jbb
03-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Need to run it ....less hard?...... :p

Sleek-Jet
03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Remember, 90% of the cops are not assholes.... :D

Scream
03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
You are so screwed...lol
Why not fight it in court. You've got nothing to loose Leon, just tell the truth and let the judge decide. You'd better come up with some substantial or reasonable explaination as to how you know you weren't going 55, and how fast you estimate you were doing. The more prepared you are the better your position will be.
Scream

totenhosen
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
http://www.mrtrafficticket.com

roostwear
03-23-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm not an expert on getting out of tickets (I prefer not to get them), but a couple dodges that come to mind are finding out if the road has been surveyed in the last 5 years, and having the officer produce his calibration log. Check the CVC to see if these are even valid any longer, since it's been awhile since the last ticket :hammer2: (knock on wood)
Good luck

NOTALENT
03-23-2005, 11:09 AM
ouch..by law they are not required to show u the speed on the radar..but they are requried to show u the calabration certificate, and that it is updated. if u want to postpone it do a trial de novio :D did this 2 years ago..Got the speeding ticket. did the 2 time extension and then I did the trial de novie..its a written hearing..u send in to the judge and the cop as well..if the judge declares u guilty then u still can fight it in court. this is the only time u can get 2 hearings.. :eat: by the time u send in ur written statement the cop forgets about the whole ticket..I won this one..hehe..I was also in the right on this ticket..the cop was just a dick.

PHX ATC
03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Pony up to the cash bar. :D

boater72
03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
You should have never told him you see him in court. Now he will make a note of it and have all his ducks in a row.

Boatcop
03-23-2005, 11:57 AM
You have to decide which is worse. The fine money. The inconvenience. The principle.
Then you have to weigh the repercussions of a speeding violation on your record if you lose. You might win, but if you lose you'll face points on your record and increased insurance costs.
You may find that attending traffic school, if it's an option in your case, may be the best way out. It'll cost some money and some time, but no points, no record and no insurance increase. I even think you can do this on-line in California. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
Rather than figuring out how to beat the ticket, concentrate on lifting your right foot a little higher off the floorboard. :rolleyes: :D

Jordy
03-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Let's say, and this is just a hypothetical, that someone got a ticket in a 5mph zone for a few over (civil citation) and the officer didn't mark anything down for speed measurement device? No radar, no pace, no laser. Apparently, hypothetically, he can just look at an object and tell how fast it's moving? Seems like that would be hard to prove beyond a preponderance even. :eek:
Seems like an out, hypothetically, right? :D

Jordy
03-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Hypothetically, nice try Jordy. Wanna splain it to um Miguel?
Rio
He heard it on Friday night. Unfortunately it wasn't in a school zone in Cali, so hypothetically, he can't help. :D

hoolign
03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
ouch..by law they are not required to show u the speed on the radar..but they are requried to show u the calabration certificate, and that it is updated. if u want to postpone it do a trial de novio :D did this 2 years ago..Got the speeding ticket. did the 2 time extension and then I did the trial de novie..its a written hearing..u send in to the judge and the cop as well..if the judge declares u guilty then u still can fight it in court. this is the only time u can get 2 hearings.. :eat: by the time u send in ur written statement the cop forgets about the whole ticket..I won this one..hehe..I was also in the right on this ticket..the cop was just a dick.
I think your information is wrong!!
show me the radar gun (http://law.freeadvice.com/general_practice/traffic_law/speeding_radar.htm)

Kim Hanson
03-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Yesterday about noon while running home for lunch i got pulled over only a mile from home, on a long straight away....posted 45 mph and the motorcycle officer told me i was doing 55 m p h according to his radar and laser that he got me on!!
I then nicely showed him all the req info he asked for and said i was sure i was not going 55, and requested he show me on the radar detector he clocked me at 55 mph! ( i recalled a coupel years back on rice road i asked for it to be shown and the chp off showed me...therefore i could not saya a thing!)
never the less the cop yesterday said "well i might not have it now let me look!" and i said, " you only just pulle dme over and have not used it on anyone else???" so he walked to his bike, a minute later came back and said it must have accidently cleared when he put it in its holster!!??" i said ok, " see you on my court date, in a nice manner!" and i was off!!
On land, you have to obey Frenchie........( . )( . )........water not! :D

PlyaPlya22
03-23-2005, 12:42 PM
You were still chasing them Geese...huh! Probably better just to pay it. It's a pain in the ass to try and go through the legal system. Most people now days don't even have time to go to court so they just pay the fine. Seems like they make the process more difficuly and time consuming so you end up just coughing up the cash.

racecar.hotshoe
03-23-2005, 12:47 PM
That's F'up Leon I talked to you yesterday and you didnt feel well and were going home.Go to traffic school(on line)and forget about it. :D

SoCalHD
03-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear about that Leon-maybe we can attend traffic school together!! Maybe a traffic school party?? I got a speeding ticket last Thursday on the 62 heading to the 10. The CHP said he got me at 87!! ( I was driving the wifes' Accord, not towing BTW) He was nice and wrote me for 80 in a 65 since I was honest and didn't try to bs him. I was happy he didn't see me earlier!!! :hammerhea :hammerhea

NOTALENT
03-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I think your information is wrong!!
show me the radar gun (http://law.freeadvice.com/general_practice/traffic_law/speeding_radar.htm)
is that for ca?? I have never had a problem when they showed me the speed limit..exept once.. I know in AZ they will tell u to F Off!! haha..

BADBLOWN572
03-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I won a ticket about 2 years ago here in CA. I passed a car on the freeway and the cop said that when I passed it, I was doing 80, but he did admit that I was doing 65 for miles. I simply said that I did not accelerate past the car just moved over and cleared the slower moving car. Cop argued it. When in court, the cop said that he got me on radar and that I was doing 80. I asked to see his calibration certificate, the certificate that he was properly trained to operate the radar, and his last proficiency report. The cop was unable to produce any of it. I then said that without verification that the radar was correct, that the cop knew how to use it, and that the cop was proficient at my job I should be let go.
The cop should have the responsibility to proove that you were speeding instead of you prooving that you were not (US Constitution). Without proper documentation present at the time of trial there was no reason to believe that I was speeding. The judge agreed and I got off.

LHC30Victory
03-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Hooligan, your link is DEAD WRONG!
the "Calibration" is done by a certified lab and is only required once every 5 years. However, the officer (user) must CHECK the calibration by use of a pre measured distance (LIDAR) or a tuning fork (RADAR) and that tuning fork needs to have its frequency verified as accurate.
NO the officer does not need to show the RADAR or LIDAR to the person during the stop. He does need to show the reliability of it as BadBlown has well stated. He has the best info yet (other than just to pay the fine).
Leon, if ya want to talk about this, call me.

Tom Brown
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
...on a long straight away....
I recommend you don't use this term when you appear in court. :D
"... so I pulled out of my second pit stop, headed into a long sweeping turn, and right down the main straight. ... ahhh.... being careful not to exceed the speed limit."

Tom Brown
03-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Need to run it ....less hard?...... :p
They know how he did it.

WYRD
03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
French were you wearing that goofy hat in your avatar? and those speedo's? If so he was just wanting to get your number.................so go out with him and the ticket will take care of itself :D :D

Quality Time
03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Frenchie,
In order for them to use radar, the road must have had an Engineering and Traffic Survey (E&T). These are valid for 5 years unless the officers have received additional training in which case they can extend the E&T another two years. You can request a copy of the E&T for this roadway segement from the governing agency. It is public information. Look at it and see if it is still valid, what was the 85th. percentile speed and what was recommended. Check this against what the posted speed is. There are other variables that determine speed (conditions not readily apparent etc.), but these are the basics.
If you get a copy and need some assistance, let me know & best of luck.

Dawn Patrol
03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Save your time and energy. You can do an online traffic school in less than an hour. I just did it last week. They make it real easy, they just want your Cash!

THATJEFFGUY
03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey Frenchie...which motor unit was it, Redlands PD, CHP or SBSO ? I may be able to help you out.

rvrtoy
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Dam...and kilrtoy wouldn't let you go!!! :D
I have gone to court on 4 occasions re speeding tickets. The officer only showed up one time and I only had to pay a fine and do an on line traffic school.

Jbb
03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
They know how he did it.
Should have cuffed him and stuffed him for it :cool: :p

77charger
03-23-2005, 04:11 PM
go to court to fight it and hope officer doesnt show if he does ask for traffic school.Doubt you win if he shows up

totenhosen
03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
go to court to fight it and hope officer doesnt show if he does ask for traffic school.Doubt you win if he shows up
All my friends that are cops tell me they get written up by their Sgt if they do not attend court to defend a ticket. Besides I'm not going to take a day off of work to fight a ticket. It costs me more money to do that than jsut pay the dam thing.
In Pasadena court the judge always tells people that if you contest the ticket and lose that you waive your right to traffic school.
I usually consider tickets as a user fee for all the times I didn't get caught. Just go to traffic school. The one I took was an open book take home exam. Took me about 20 minutes to do.

PICKLEtheLOAD
03-23-2005, 04:37 PM
here was my situation:
State=VA.
Speeding (77 in a 55) = Reckless driving for 20 mph over (a jailable offense in the fine state of VER-GYNA). Took up a free consult from a lawyer which gleaned the following suggestions:
1. get your speedometer calibrated. They will notarize it. (cost me $40)
2. show your driving record to the judge. (assuming its clean). Cost $5 in CA.
3. show up to court with a driving school completion certificate (my lawyer told me this particular judge did NOT like on-line courses, so I had to sit in a classroom for 8 hrs on a SUNDAY! :sleeping: ). The only tough decision here is whether to have the points count or not. I took 'em because Reckless driving was worth 6 points!!!
Depending on the results of the CAL and your driving record, it may be best to stay home and pony up, but maybe not???? Just a thought.
My speedo was off (obviously in my favor), so I was awarded a $30 ticket for defective equipment. :D

PBOCOP
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
If you need specific information send me an email. I've been a motor cop in Pomona for years and now supervise the traffic unit as well as the Major Accident Investigation Unit.
Briefly, they don't need to show you any radar reading. If we lock it, we will show it to you but many times we don't lock it for a variety of reasons.
10 mph over the posted speed limit is cutting it close. You were cited for traveling at an unsafe speed. So the officer will have to prove why that speed was unsafe. 10 mph over the limit, based on the 85th percentile, and the surrounding area, might not be an unsafe speed. Just depends.
A survey has to have been completed within the past 10 years based on most officer's training these days.
They don't have to have all those paperwork with them in court, at least not in our court. Any paperwork you want them to bring outside what they need to prove their case, has to be subpoena'd into court by you. They might bring the calibration for the radar/lidar, which is good for 3 years now but outside of that, they won't bring much. They are supposed to calibrate the radar with a tuning fork daily, but no log is kept for that. It would be odd that you found an officer, especially one on a motorcycle, that is out of training dates or not qualified.
You have a 50/50 shot at the officer not showing up. If you got the ticket during the day, during the work week, you probably are pretty much screwed. They go to court for sure unless they are on vacation. If it was at night, some show up for overtime. Just like flipping a coin on them showing up.
Our court won't allow traffic school after the trial. If he shows up and you won't want to fight it, just request traffic school right away. Most courts will honor your request.
Good luck.
Patrick O'Malley
PBOCOP@aol.com
See ya in Havasu !! :clover:

77charger
03-23-2005, 04:55 PM
All my friends that are cops tell me they get written up by their Sgt if they do not attend court to defend a ticket. Besides I'm not going to take a day off of work to fight a ticket. It costs me more money to do that than jsut pay the dam thing.
In Pasadena court the judge always tells people that if you contest the ticket and lose that you waive your right to traffic school.
I usually consider tickets as a user fee for all the times I didn't get caught. Just go to traffic school. The one I took was an open book take home exam. Took me about 20 minutes to do.
I hear that last time i got a ticket i had to go to pasadena court was 79 bucks i believe was a bs speeding ticket i got cited for 65 in 55 the next two guys got cited 85 in a 65 same spot.wasnt worth my time to take off work,pay for parking,etc asked for traffic school clerk told me i might have to see judge i replied i dont have time i want to get this over save your time,judges and mine(did so nicely)she came back with the paperwork for traffic school paid fine and left.IMO if they show you lose anyways last time i fought a ticket was more than 10 years ago and i know the times have changed.

Kilrtoy
03-23-2005, 05:47 PM
If you need specific information send me an email. I've been a motor cop in Pomona for years and now supervise the traffic unit as well as the Major Accident Investigation Unit.
Briefly, they don't need to show you any radar reading. If we lock it, we will show it to you but many times we don't lock it for a variety of reasons.
10 mph over the posted speed limit is cutting it close. You were cited for traveling at an unsafe speed. So the officer will have to prove why that speed was unsafe. 10 mph over the limit, based on the 85th percentile, and the surrounding area, might not be an unsafe speed. Just depends.
A survey has to have been completed within the past 10 years based on most officer's training these days.
They don't have to have all those paperwork with them in court, at least not in our court. Any paperwork you want them to bring outside what they need to prove their case, has to be subpoena'd into court by you. They might bring the calibration for the radar/lidar, which is good for 3 years now but outside of that, they won't bring much. They are supposed to calibrate the radar with a tuning fork daily, but no log is kept for that. It would be odd that you found an officer, especially one on a motorcycle, that is out of training dates or not qualified.
You have a 50/50 shot at the officer not showing up. If you got the ticket during the day, during the work week, you probably are pretty much screwed. They go to court for sure unless they are on vacation. If it was at night, some show up for overtime. Just like flipping a coin on them showing up.
Our court won't allow traffic school after the trial. If he shows up and you won't want to fight it, just request traffic school right away. Most courts will honor your request.
Good luck.
Patrick O'Malley
PBOCOP@aol.com
See ya in Havasu !! :clover:
And KILRTOY is always on vacation at the river

cola
03-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Leon, your neighborhood is hot right now . The DA just got killed around the corner. That will put extra motors on patrol. Also we were just about to start a new home for Steve Hall, the owner of the liquor store that was killed on Palm. You need to lay low for a while.
Late, Mike

Phat Matt
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
At least you weren't going 95mph up that street like usual. :rollside:

AirtimeLavey
03-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Unless you're worried about the points cause of previous shiat, it ain't worth the time and hassle to fight it...If you do fight it, I've heard it helps to get a couple extensions on the court date - improves your chances the occifer won't show or remember circumstances...good luck.

FRENCHIE
03-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Hey Frenchie...which motor unit was it, Redlands PD, CHP or SBSO ? I may be able to help you out.
it was a sherrif, but regulated he said from highlnad p.d!!
needless to say im still undecided, but thanx for all theinput!! i just dont want to go to court only to find out i lose and dont get to do traffic school!!!??
does anyone know for sure if i fight it, i will not be able to attend traffic school?? the court date is may 23rd in Redlands ca!!
:confused:

racecar.hotshoe
03-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Leon when was your last ticket?

FRENCHIE
03-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Leon when was your last ticket?
june 2002!! did online shcool for this...90mph in 65!!!
:frown: :D oh and was on rice road!!

racecar.hotshoe
03-24-2005, 08:45 AM
You can do it again! its been over 18 months!

FRENCHIE
03-24-2005, 08:56 AM
You can do it again! its been over 18 months!
its just wrong though i tell ya!!!!!
:mad: :cry: :cry:

GLDI8HR
03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
I did traffic school online and it took 30 min. The judge told me if I fight it I CAN'T go to traffic school and if i lose it will go on my record. The judge said all the cop has to do is prove that you're going over the speed limit by one mph.

Kilrtoy
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
I see a pattern here :coffeycup

slink
03-24-2005, 11:15 AM
I see a pattern here :coffeycup
Ya, the same way he drives his boat......WOT :D Just a good thing Nikki wasn't in the truck..."He got weed, he got weed" (in my best Chris Rock voice) :D

It's Only Money
03-24-2005, 11:47 AM
It used to be that you could call the court clerk and request an extension. Up to 2 times in the last court I tried this with. DId it twice and happened to hit on the officer's vacation and he didn't show up. I have had 3 officers not show up in the past. You walk if they don't.

FRENCHIE
03-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Ya, the same way he drives his boat......WOT :D Just a good thing Nikki wasn't in the truck..."He got weed, he got weed" (in my best Chris Rock voice) :D
WHAT is funny is she drove right past me on tuesday when i go thte ticket and smiled!!!
:mad: 10 min later her mom calls me teasing me ..."oh did someone get a ticket!!" :confused: "no," i replied...he just wanted to remind me to keep...................."RUNNING IT F'N HARD!!!" :hammer2: :hammer2: :mad:

racecar.hotshoe
03-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Thats funny!........... :D

FRENCHIE
03-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Thats funny!........... :D
yea real funny!!!! to my wallet!!!!
:jawdrop: ;)

Jrocket
03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
You should of tried to run!

Kilrtoy
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
WHAT is funny is she drove right past me on tuesday when i go thte ticket and smiled!!!
:mad: 10 min later her mom calls me teasing me ..."oh did someone get a ticket!!" :confused: "no," i replied...he just wanted to remind me to keep...................."RUNNING IT F'N HARD!!!" :hammer2: :hammer2: :mad:
Now that is a good one, best one in a long time....

FRENCHIE
03-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Now that is a good one, best one in a long time....
you know how i do it!!!
:)

Kokopelli
03-24-2005, 08:31 PM
There's a secret to not getting speeding tickets.....
DON'T SPEED!