PDA

View Full Version : BP Go BOOM $4 gas anyone....

Freak
03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Huge blast rocks Texas oil plant
The Texas City plant is a huge part of BP's US operation
An explosion has rocked an oil refinery in Texas, killing at least four people, according to local TV reports.
Television pictures showed firefighters picking through the smoking wreckage of the BP plant, south-east of Houston.
Emergency services warned people living near the site of the explosion to stay indoors, the Associated Press reported.
US gasoline prices jumped to a new high as word of the explosion hit the financial markets, reaching $1.604 (£0.8589) per gallon.
The explosion happened at 1330 (1930 GMT) at the western end of the plant, which covers an area of almost 500 hectares.
The Texas City refinery, 35 miles (55km) from Houston, is the third biggest in the US, employing 2,000 people.
It processes roughly 450 million barrels of crude oil each day.
That figure is approximately 3% of the US' domestic oil supply and one-third of BP's output across the US.
A BP spokesman told the BBC there was no official confirmation of casualties, but said at least one man was flown off the site by emergency helicopter.
Texas City resident Mike Martin described "a real loud explosion, like a sonic boom".
"It shook the pictures bad enough to where it knocked them off the wall. And it frightened me, so I jumped out of bed."

Lake Ape
03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
I think I'm gonna store the boat this summer and buy a windsurfer, LOL!

schiada96
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I think I'm gonna store the boat this summer and buy a windsurfer, LOL!
I'd do the same but the wind would stop!

Freak
03-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Hopefully it didn't blow up the part of the plant that refines gas.

missboatnam1
03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
im a bp employee and it saddens me to here about my fellow oil workers meeting there maker, gob bless to there families.i think its more like 450 thousand barrles a day.

missboatnam1
03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
opps sorry last post from boatnam1

Freak
03-23-2005, 02:29 PM
your right that million has to be a typo.