PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming myself to your ranks!

UltraJet
05-31-2001, 02:57 PM
Hello all of you good people out there (jet boaters = good people)! I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Dan, I'm 29 years old, I live in Anaheim, and I am now a first time boat owner. My Ultra 21 XS (the old 210 RS with some minor changes) will be ready mid June, and I am excited as can be. Nothing fancy on the boat as of yet. Just the standard MarinePower 454 (340 hp?), Dominator jet, Place Diverter, and a somewhat killer sound system. I look forward to asking some of you for advice on upgrades and other technical how-to's. I stick mainly to Parker (last 8 years), and prefer the non-holiday weekends. I love to stay at Echo Lodge, and can't wait for my next trip back. If any of you read this and already have some suggestions for me or my Ultra, or just want to say "hey!", I'll keep my ear to the ground. Goodbye, and thanks.

dcraig
05-31-2001, 03:04 PM
Not sure what performance expectations you have, but I would recommend upgrading to the 454 mag engine (390hp). If performance is what your after in the future, this motor will give you much more potential (forged parts, better heads, better intake manifold, etc). Sounds like a nice ride. What kind of jet did you decide on?

UltraJet
05-31-2001, 03:14 PM
dcraig, got your reply. I think the jet is the Dominator 12-S. What more do you know about the Mag motor. I think i'd be cutting it close, but could probably still get them to throw that thing in instead of the standard. How much more would I expect them to charge for it? How much more speed dould I expect from the 50 hp gain?

Jetmugg
05-31-2001, 03:33 PM
Back in '98, I bought a brand new California Performance 19', with the 340 HP Marine Power engine, a Dominator 12S pump, and place diverter. The boat would run 63 mph with this engine. This past winter, I put a bunch of money into this engine (new heads, forged pistons, 502/502 cam, Victor Jr. intake, ARP rod bolts), and now it runs 78 mph at 5200 rpm. I wish I had spent the money up front, I would have saved considerably over upgrading after the initial purchase. I think the biggest bang for the buck is the large oval port heads, instead of the "peanut ports" on the base engine. The upgraded engine will give you more of a performance base for cam swaps, nitrous, etc.
STeveM.

dcraig
05-31-2001, 03:40 PM
That is a really good pump to have. Is it a set back pump with ride plate and shoe? If you want to go much over 60mph, you really need it in the 21 footer.
I don't know if they would throw it in your deal, but it should run about another $1,200-1,500 more. The mag motor has a forged steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons, rectangle port heads, better intake, larger oil pan, etc.
Even if your not going for top speed, this motor will take more abuse and last longer due to the better internals. As a result, its also rated for more rpm. I believe its rated for 5,000rpm instead of 4,600rpm with the 340 hp motor. This gives you more latitude in choosing an A or AB impeller.
From a top speed standpoint you might pick up 2mph with the mag motor.
John West knows exactly what you'd get by upgrading. Talk to him at length about your expectations, both upon delivery, and future goals. This will make decisions easier.

dcraig
05-31-2001, 03:45 PM
I agree with JetMugg. The 340hp motor is OK but your performance options are limited and expensive. Hey JetMugg what heads did you buy and how much (If you don't mind me asking?). Im either thinking of a head & cam upgrade or a low 125hp NOS kit. NOS is cheaper but would be limited to short top end spurts instead of having consistent performance gains with the heads/cam.

MellowYelloW
05-31-2001, 04:05 PM
Welcome ....I too visit the parker strip often. we stay at Riverland. we will be there june 15-17. maybe we will see you out there.

Jetmugg
05-31-2001, 04:35 PM
I bought the Bowtie aluminum oval port "signature series" heads with mild porting and 2.25/1.88 valves. I got them from Sallee Chevrolet for $1500 complete. These are the same exact castings as the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, but Sallee does a little more work to them, and added the larger valves.
(It's only money)
SteveM.

HBjet
05-31-2001, 05:56 PM
Ultrajet, Echo Lodge is OC in Parker. It seems like everyone in OC stays there. I'll be there 6/8-6/10 & 6/22-6/24, hope to see you out there. I say just put a bunch of girls on your boat and you won't even think about performance upgrades. Have fun!
HBjet

Brad71
05-31-2001, 06:43 PM
Congrats. I hope someday to buy a new boat. Too rich for my blood now. Where are you going to keep the boat? On my last topic I stated that I know of a new and cheap place to store a boat in Parker. Happy cruising.

UltraJet
05-31-2001, 11:13 PM
Wow! I'm overwhelemed by all of the responses from my first posting. I appreciate all the suggestions, and with a quick phone call will be making sure the 454 mag sits under the hatch on the new boat. I might have the boat out on Parker via Echo Lodge for June 16th/17th or 20th/21st. Sorry I'm too lazy to make personal one-to-one e-mails right now. The pump is set back, but w/o ride plate and shoe. Yes I got the info on Affordable. One of the reasons I went with Ultra is because they didn't try to SELL me a boat or force feed upgrades. They let me pick & choose, and have been patient with me throughout the many "whadya think?" phone calls.
Thanks again, everyone!!!

ULTRA28
06-01-2001, 07:34 AM
Hey ultrajet, I would suggest the 390 and the set back jet, with machined intake, rideplate and shoe. Your boat will benifit greatly from just these few options, hopefully your dealer has not set the intake yet. You are getting one of the first boats of a new model for us, we made quite a few changes from last years RS, besides the cosmetic changes to the deck, your new XS has a whole new bottom design, the first new bottom design that we used our new laser system in the tooling process to come out with the straightest bottom on the market.

dcraig
06-01-2001, 07:52 AM
I agree with Ultra28. I didn't go with the setback pump with ride plate and shoe and regret it. A buddy of mine has the same exact boat and motor, has the setback/rideplate/shoe and pulls me by 2-3 mph. (we have Shockwave 21 LS's similar to the Ultra 21XT).
Have fun with the new ride!

montrone
06-01-2001, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by UltraJet:
Hello all of you good people out there (jet boaters = good people)! I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Dan, I'm 29 years old, I live in Anaheim, and I am now a first time boat owner. My Ultra 21 XS (the old 210 RS with some minor changes) will be ready mid June, and I am excited as can be. Nothing fancy on the boat as of yet. Just the standard MarinePower 454 (340 hp?), Dominator jet, Place Diverter, and a somewhat killer sound system. I look forward to asking some of you for advice on upgrades and other technical how-to's. I stick mainly to Parker (last 8 years), and prefer the non-holiday weekends. I love to stay at Echo Lodge, and can't wait for my next trip back. If any of you read this and already have some suggestions for me or my Ultra, or just want to say "hey!", I'll keep my ear to the ground. Goodbye, and thanks.
Just want to say hey,
and i too live in Anaheim, right by Knotts.
Hoping to make it to parker this yr too.
Chris

UltraJet
06-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Again, thank you all for your advice during my boat buying adventure. I don't know how I'm gonna afford it, but I'm sure I won't be thinking about $$ when I'm cruisin' down the Riv. Might have to give up some stereo for more motor. Hmmmph.
Some new/corrected info I came across today:
MarinePower(distributor of Chevy motors) has available the standard 330hp 454, and a 380hp 454 (known as the "Premium" or "Magnum"). The differences are all those put forward by you guys in earlier postings/replies to my ignorance. I'm no gear head (no offense - I wish I knew more. Trust me).
Dan

Rod
06-01-2001, 06:56 PM
Marine Power do they have a web page? put the HP to her! HP sound better ! Rod NC
[This message has been edited by Rod (edited June 01, 2001).]

UltraJet
06-01-2001, 09:19 PM
No website that I know of for MarinePower. They are located in Riverside, CA. Contact Dave Woods (909)343-0072.

UltraJet
06-01-2001, 09:36 PM
OK, what's up with my SE. I had to resort to 411 for MarinePower's telephone #. Someone else kindly posted their website for us. It's www.marinepowerusa.com. (http://www.marinepowerusa.com.)
@#$%'n computers! Still haven't figured 'em out.

jet496
06-03-2001, 08:39 PM
You did good buying Ultra. Sounds like your set up. Have fun!

froggystyle
06-05-2001, 01:09 PM
Good purchase Ultrajet! I just bought the 21XS with the Merlin 600hp and the Berkeley setback setup. Just remember, you can always put in a stereo, but the setback pump is now or never. They need to re-do the interior to utilize the extra 8" of space you will create, and also deal with all the pump issues such as ride plate and diverter. I agree with your assessment of how low-stress the purchase was. I am a big fan now, and will be picking mine up in early July! Have you thought of the 8.1L HO motor? It was $4500 extra, but dynos at 460hp. Good luck, and hope to see you at the regatta this year in August.