PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to replace a sewer main?

Flip
03-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I think the roots from the tree out front (which belongs to the city) have finally cracked up the main sewer drain on my house. I've had it snaked over and over and just doesn't get the job done. I know where the main is and digging it up shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering what comes after that?

MAINEVENT
03-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Dig it out Clear the roots around the main cut a new piece of pipe two coupling and your done or call Mr or Mrs. Vee me i dont know nutting I'm just the water guy ;) Seriously though its not brain surgery but dont under estimate the roots they can be a real Biznatch :yuk:
Good Luck

AirtimeLavey
03-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Call a plumber? Try the FlyinVee's from these boards....good luck.

bunny 166
03-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm with Main--call Mrs. V. She can handle anything.... :p :p

Badger301
03-23-2005, 10:32 PM
If you do find out it was the tree call the city you may be able to get them to foot the bill. Happened to my Bro in West Covina and the city covered the cost.

MudPumper
03-23-2005, 10:52 PM
If it's the city's tree, it's their problem.

Dusty Times
03-23-2005, 10:54 PM
In Arizona if it's the cities main they are responsible.
If it is on your property dig it up. Install a new line with a couple of no hub couplers. Make sure you have fall. And get rid of the tree roots.

LUVNLIFE
03-24-2005, 05:15 AM
Dig it out Clear the roots around the main cut a new piece of pipe two coupling and your done or call Mr or Mrs. Vee me i dont know nutting I'm just the water guy ;) Seriously though its not brain surgery but dont under estimate the roots they can be a real Biznatch :yuk:
Good Luck
Hey MainEvent who do you work for. I'm in the business also. Shoot me a PM. :cool:

LUVNLIFE
03-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Pretty much if it's on your side of the property line it is your responsibility. It won't be deep and is an easy fix. Like some others said cut out the bad pipe and install new with some repair couplings. If it is outside the property line it's not your prob. Just call and report it. If you need some help finding parts let me know. Cale

cc322
03-24-2005, 05:35 AM
What kind of pipe is it? clay c-900, other. If it is clay you will need pipe snapers, and I am guesing it isnt the citys main it is on your property so it is a 4" sewer latteral that lead to the citys main.. You will need to find out what type of pipe it is so you can get the right tools for the job. If it is clay than you will need rubber collars , pipe dope or duck butter, if you cant find clay pipe to replace the broken section you will have to use c-900 and find the correct collars that go from clay to plastic. After you repair it cover the repair with concrete. Make sure when you put in the new piece of pipe you have the correct fall in the line.Seweres are designed to flow at 2 feet per second. And if it is deep usually around 6 feet or deeper you should use shoreing, you dont want to be in the hole and have it cave in on you. We do this all the time at work, sometimes the job goes smooth and others its a pain in the ass. Good luck. Also you will need to call for other utilitys to be marked so you dont hit a gas line cable water phone etc.

bigd1
03-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Mine did the same thing. The bad part is the digging - I hired some day laborers to dig it out then had the plumber come in and fix it.

Flip
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
What kind of pipe is it? clay c-900, other. If it is clay you will need pipe snapers, and I am guesing it isnt the citys main it is on your property so it is a 4" sewer latteral that lead to the citys main.. You will need to find out what type of pipe it is so you can get the right tools for the job. If it is clay than you will need rubber collars , pipe dope or duck butter, if you cant find clay pipe to replace the broken section you will have to use c-900 and find the correct collars that go from clay to plastic. After you repair it cover the repair with concrete. Make sure when you put in the new piece of pipe you have the correct fall in the line.Seweres are designed to flow at 2 feet per second. And if it is deep usually around 6 feet or deeper you should use shoreing, you dont want to be in the hole and have it cave in on you. We do this all the time at work, sometimes the job goes smooth and others its a pain in the ass. Good luck. Also you will need to call for other utilitys to be marked so you dont hit a gas line cable water phone etc.
Alright folks, thanks for the input here. The line is the clay pipe on my property and has pretty much failed completly. At this point I can't really wait to fight it out with the city. I would call a plumber and just have them do it, but the quotes I have been getting have been in the thousands. I just don't have that kind of cash floating around so anything I can get done by myself helps. Got a just a couple more ?'s though.
What is C-900? ABS? Are the couplings going to be available at Home Depot or Lowe's? Is concrete going to be a MUST have? Would you normally have to pull a permit for this kind of thing? :idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Alright folks, thanks for the input here. The line is the clay pipe on my property and has pretty much failed completly. At this point I can't really wait to fight it out with the city. I would call a plumber and just have them do it, but the quotes I have been getting have been in the thousands. I just don't have that kind of cash floating around so anything I can get done by myself helps. Got a just a couple more ?'s though.
What is C-900? ABS? Are the couplings going to be available at Home Depot or Lowe's? Is concrete going to be a MUST have? Would you normally have to pull a permit for this kind of thing? :idea:
did you get help with this.. Just so you know as a homeowner you are responsible to the 6" city line. wether it is their tree or not.. let me know if you got it handled.

moneypit
03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
1.Apply duct tape.
2. Walk away.
3. Attach boat to truck
4. Drive away from the scene quickly.
5. Call plumber.
6. Tell him your address and problem.
7. Proceed to the river.
:D :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
1.Apply duct tape.
2. Walk away.
3. Attach boat to truck
4. Drive away from the scene quickly.
5. Call plumber.
6. Tell him your address and problem.
7. Proceed to the river.
:D :D :D
LMAO!! plumbers is out of town.. :idea: :D

boxscore
03-24-2005, 10:00 AM
I know home depot didnt carry clay pipe elbows, couplings, etc when I had to repair a sewer line.. Had to go so a sewer supply yard that was nearby. But they had everything. I was a little worried cuz this particular building is about 45 y/o.

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
there is a clay to abs coupling that can be used to repair.. but don't repair it replace the whole thing.. you will have to re do it eventually anyway.

pb
03-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Here's my .02
With money being a concern,
Camera the sewer and locate the exact location of ther problem. Also at this time you can verify the condition of the remainder of the sewer.
Dig down and replace that section of sewer. In my area you can use SDR-26 as replacement piping with non- shear couplings. The non-shears have a stainless steel band around it with large hose clamps. Depending on the distance from you house cleanout to the city main, adding an external cleanout is a good idea. Try and find out what your village code requires for material.
Our sewers are 4" dia. to 5ft outside the house then transitions to 6"dia. Adding a 6" outside cleanout allows for a 6" cutter to be used for future root problems.
Why replace the whole sewer if it is still in good condition?
And yes, a permit may be required...it is in our village.
Paul

Not So Fast
03-24-2005, 01:47 PM
did you get help with this.. Just so you know as a homeowner you are responsible to the 6" city line. wether it is their tree or not.. let me know if you got it handled.
This lady knows her s--t, just had our sewer done here in Havasu and I questioned the part where it says homeowner is responsible all the way to the sewer main, even under the city street!! Believe it :jawdrop: NSF

lucky
03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
why brown been to your house ?

Big Warlock
03-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Pay for a proessional to do the job. No matter what, take pics of the whole ordeal. File a claim with the city.
I think that it is the city's responsibility from the sewer service to the main. From the sewer service to the house is on the homeowner. When the sewer was installed, the services were placed with a lateral from the main to PUE. A yoke or "service" mechanism was put on it. The plumber then connected the house to the service.
You pay the city for the service. They collect your money and your poo and make it nice to place as reclaimed something on a golf course someplace you don't want to know. Filing a claim is a no brainer. Include the bill from the contractor / plumber and the pics. Hope for the best!
Good luck!!

cc322
03-24-2005, 06:20 PM
What is C-900? ABS? Are the couplings going to be available at Home Depot or Lowe's? Is concrete going to be a MUST have? Would you normally have to pull a permit for this kind of thing?
[B] B]What is C-900? ... It is a form of plastic pipe.
ABS?... It is asbestos pipe susally not found anymore.
The couplings probably will not be available at home centers, concrete is not a must but we do it at the water district with every repair, sewer, domestic or reclamined. We just mix a few 90lb bags and place on the repaired section. If your not into the citys main line I dont think you would need permits, but the other locations are a must. All you really need to do is locate the broken piece, via tv inspection is perfect. Dig the repair up you said it is clay so you will need to snap each side of the pipe to remove the damanged piece, very important to get a straight snap. Cut a new piece of clay pipe remember measure twice cut once, get your rubber couplings for clay with the hose clamp type bands and put each rubber coupling on each side of the existing pipe with lots of duck butter, then put you new piece of pipe in the repaired section,slide the coupling onto the new pipe and tighten. The trick is to really load up on the pipe dope put it on the od (outer diamenter) of the pipe and on the inside of the couplings and back fill. Now if you cannot find clay pipe use c-900 and get transition couplings that go from c-900 to clay. They are also rubber and will say 4 or 6 inch c-900 to clay. You should install a cleanout at the front of the house somewhere so you can access the line in the future via a snake or tv camera not a must but nice to have this would require alot more work.. After the repair is made run a bunch of water through it and look for leaks ps do it before it gets hot.
Also make sure when yo have the section of pipe out and you are down thier doing the repair NO ONE USES THE TOILET :D

mike37
03-24-2005, 07:00 PM
don't repair it replace the whole thing.. you will have to re do it eventually anyway.
Have to agree that old clay pipe needs to go

probablecause
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I have had real good luck with either of the two plumbing services which are located throughout the U.S. - VISA & MASTERCARD

cc322
03-24-2005, 09:21 PM
No reason to get rid of the clay, it will last for years, replacing the whole run would be a waste of money.

Flying Tiger
03-24-2005, 09:32 PM
A shovel, or slaves ya rent from in from of Home Depot,
length of ABS pipe the same dia & lengths as what your removing,,
and no hub connectors,,,,
done deal.

Mandelon
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
ABS is the standard black plastic pipe now commonly used.
Use the rubber and stainless hoseclamp couplings for underground. The metal banded connectors are for above ground.
I would pay the money for a camera to locate the exact spot.
Hire day laborers to dig it up. Try Laborready or other labor service if you don't have locals on a street corner. $12.00 and they are insured and screened.
You will need a permit, but can probably get away with it bootleg if you want, but you might have to disclose it was done without a permit when you sell the place.
Once its dug up, then get a plumber in to do it unless you are confident you can do it properly. My concern for the transition from clay to plastic and back would be the interior diameter might change too much and you could get clogs there.
Perhaps putting in a combo and a clean out might be wise. You could use for RV dump too.....
Good luck.

dbddbd
03-24-2005, 09:57 PM
The City should should have a camera system. Best thing to do is call them during a holiday, they love to get those calls and come out cuz the city will pay them extra overtime. I'd use rock salt. A half cup of it will kill the roots over time without hurting the tree. Doing it yourself will probably be against applicable codes, the City has requirements and reconstruction has rules ie cleanouts and slope to the main line, also may have some back fill requirements.

25Elmn8r
03-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I had the same issue at my old house. We had the plumber use the camera to find the exact location. I dug it up and the plumber cut the clay pipe, installed a clean out and replaced the broken/clogged pipe. I saved quite a bit by digging it myself.

cc322
03-25-2005, 07:18 AM
ABS is the standard black plastic pipe now commonly used.
That is correct I was thinking AC pipe which is absestos cement pipe. I think the abs is scheduled 40. The inside diamenter will not change that much, we do this repair on a daily basis and when we dont have clay we use plastic, having the correct transition collars is the key. If the city has a tv inspection camera they might try to locate it for you, our district will not camera a customers latteral unless there is a chance it is on the didtricts side.