PDA

View Full Version : A question for the River Rats....

Tremor Therapy
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Hey river rats I have a question....I had a 21 foot jet, and had a great time running the river. Parker, Avi, Needles, there wasn't anything the boat wouldn't handle.
Well 2 years ago we had 2 rough trips out at Havasu, and my wife said "bigger, faster" so I moved up to a 25 Shockwave Tremor. I am totally happy with the new ride, but both times I've taken the 25 to Parker I have sacrificed a prop! :mad:
So the question, any of you river rats that have moved up to a bigger boat ever seriously consider moving back down to a smaller ride again? I miss running the river, and the i/o has never wound my crank like my jet. So, have any of you made the move back to a smaller boat?

slink
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
TT, where on the strip did you damage the prop? Run my 25 with no problems. Just curious

NOTALENT
03-24-2005, 09:39 AM
its really low right now..u just have to know where the sandbars are..I run my 23...no prob..

Jordy
03-24-2005, 09:40 AM
its really low right now..u just have to know where the sandbars are..I run my 23...no prob..
Run or paddle??? :D

rivercrazy
03-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I have the same history you do. Except I had the 21LS versus your former 21 Skier.
Some days I also miss the smaller boat. But I wouldn't go back. The larger boat is more flexible. I can run in large lakes and the big blue. I would never try to do that with a low profile 21.
I do have very good knowledge of the river from Needles to Bullhead running a jet boat for many years. That has kept my nose clean so far with the 25. But sooner or later I will tag something. The key is local knowledge of the water you run in tandum with knowing the releases from the dam's up above and how long those flows take to lead to higher water where you boat or launch. Especially in relation to a few spots on the river that could create expensive problems.....
The only things that still stick out in my mind with the larger ride is 1) anchoring (mine is a closed bow), 2) later in the summer when flows from the dam's decrease I have to tow farther to launch in the river or move to the lakes, and 3) a lot more maintance is required versus a jet.
P.S. Parker sucks anyway! LOL! :) :wink:

NOTALENT
03-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Run or paddle??? :D
haha.damn jordy..u had to go there!!! :notam: Fock..2 more weeks..then I put the paddles away!! :cool:

surfer2001
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey river rats I have a question....I had a 21 foot jet, and had a great time running the river. Parker, Avi, Needles, there wasn't anything the boat wouldn't handle.
Well 2 years ago we had 2 rough trips out at Havasu, and my wife said "bigger, faster" so I moved up to a 25 Shockwave Tremor. I am totally happy with the new ride, but both times I've taken the 25 to Parker I have sacrificed a prop! :mad:
So the question, any of you river rats that have moved up to a bigger boat ever seriously consider moving back down to a smaller ride again? I miss running the river, and the i/o has never wound my crank like my jet. So, have any of you made the move back to a smaller boat?
You should fine with the bigger boat, but you need to learn where the shallow spots are. I could make you a map, showing the locations of bad spots. without the knowledge, just try to stay in the middle of river. Running near any bank is asking for trouble in every boat not just the 25

jackpunx
03-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I run mine 22' IO .. and we run an F29 down in parker as well.. just follow someone who knows the area your boating in and you'll remember where the shallow spots are..
I would never go back to a jet.. I love to drive them.. but wouldnt own one unless I hit the lotto..
good luck

a catered life
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
You should fine with the bigger boat, but you need to learn where the shallow spots are. I could make you a map, showing the locations of bad spots. without the knowledge, just try to stay in the middle of river. Running near any bank is asking for trouble in every boat not just the 25
wow i have never been to any of these places usually on lower river (blythe) but we have a bigger boat now and i didnt know there was such a problem :cry: ........ a map would be real cool if the offer is still there i'll take one :confused:

mbrown2
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
My brother had a 28 Sleek for two years and we never dinged...just need to know the spots or stay in the middle...also keep an eye on the shoreline for when water is dropping during the afternoon...sometimes that happens.

duffster
03-25-2005, 06:34 AM
When are we going to see the SPAM???? Just make up your fricken mind it's almost time to start going out and we want the normal peeps to hang with.

Tremor Therapy
03-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Thats it! No comments from the peanut gallery. I have been boatless in the past, and that is not something I am ever going to be again (unless a new boat is in the mold). We will definately be meeting you on the water!

JetBoatRich
03-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Buy a second boat and a place on the river :idea: problem solved ;)
I have seen plenty of bigger boats on teh river, like the others said get used to your surroudings and be careful :mix:

duffster
03-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Thats it! No comments from the peanut gallery. I have been boatless in the past, and that is not something I am ever going to be again (unless a new boat is in the mold). We will definately be meeting you on the water!
If you get a squirt gun just think you can run in a foot of water and not half to worry about going Gilligan's Island ever again.

Roman 1
03-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey river rats...
Why does everyone think they're "RiverRats". Didn't the shirt from the 70's show a Rat skiing behind a blown flatbottom while holding up a beer? Try "v-drives" and "just jets" to find the REAL "RiverRats". carry on cookie cutter yuppies. :smile:
Roman the fisherman :clover: :messedup:

welk2party
03-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I have run props there for years and no problems. Just got's to get used to where you are on the river.

ahhell
03-25-2005, 08:28 PM
if you cant do this in two feet of water then you need a JET.....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518roost.JPG

LUVNLIFE
03-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Just own both types of boats. :D :D That's just me being a smart ass :smile: