PDA

View Full Version : Best all around small jet boat

LOWRIVER2
06-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Was working on a friends boat today and was thinking about all the different jet boats out there. Which one of the under 20ft. boats that I've seen is the best all around (price, performance, reliability). My choice is Wrightnow's 18ft. Calif. Performance. I've watched him tow his kids on inner tubes for two summers and then run the boat in the low 90's at night without changing a damn thing. The boat has a nice interior and the whole set up cost less than $20K! I doubt many folks could get the use he gets from his boat for that kind of price range. Yeah, some of the big motor/race set ups might be faster at night, but they can't run all day with the family in them and their motors cost more than his whole set up. Oh, no major repairs either.
WN, Wild Bill, Don and I all agree you have the best all around ski/river racer around. Hats off to ya. Just put it on the trailer at night from now on! J/K
LR
Anyone else have stories of good all around small jet boat packages?

77charger
06-06-2002, 05:35 PM
I havent seen his boat yet but mike c has a pretty good set up runs hard(has good mph too) all day and on pump gas.

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 06:17 PM
That CP is my fav. I fall more into the middle ground, but consider my boat a success for my purposes.

1quickjet
06-06-2002, 06:32 PM
19' Daytona. A little better in chop than a CP. A little safer (some gullwings have been known to hook). But, lower freeboard and less interior room http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif In early 80's our 19' Daytona pulled skiers by day, ran 108mph at the drags. Mean 468 (only), tunnel rammed, pair o' dominators, Moroso race fuel, full 700 lb ski layup.

LOWRIVER2
06-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Great to see the good success stories guys have with the smaller performance boats. I get tired hearing how they're ALL high maintenance and deliver little reliability. There are a lot of ways to make the small ones fast, dependable and affordable.
Froggy, you have covered all corners with your ride. I can appreciate a little less top end for more interior space for sure. There are a lot of good examples of fast, reliable sub 20ft. boats out there and I think they get lost and forgotten or are thought to be urban legends.
The CP tunnel will hook for sure in a power out (designed for race course only), the CP gull wings are a lot safer.

LOWRIVER2
06-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Quickjet,
that's fast for a 700lb hull! WN's is a 461 I believe. You can do a lot with a little in these two examples.

eliminatya
06-06-2002, 08:04 PM
lowriver cp's are bad boats, but i love those edges

LOWRIVER2
06-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Heck, Edges are indeed cool, Papp's new one is no slouch, a bit higher than 20K though. There are a lot of good hulls to go quick in.

future boater
06-06-2002, 10:00 PM
i would have to agree hands down! that boat is everything i like about a boat. i like how he chose the colors too. talk about white out package! the only thing i find hard to beleive ist that it only cost 20k. if thats true i will just save up for another year and pay cash. alright maybe 18 months, but still that is a beautiful boat.wrightnow you did a great job.how did you accomplish that is that brand new from cp?
p.s. i just realised that question could be perceived as nosy<---sp?. if you dont want to answer, please accept my appologies.
[This message has been edited by future boater (edited June 06, 2002).]

djdplacecraft
06-06-2002, 10:16 PM
i have to say those cp's are nice hulls my buddy runs a texas tunnel that is a light lay up 390 lbs and it rides nice he also has a youngblood that is about 6-700 lbs and they both ride better than my 19 ft placecraft tunnel.They arent as stable at high speeds but they dont porpus and beat u to death eitherat low speeds.

HBjet
06-06-2002, 10:44 PM
LowRiver, true, but can someone walk across the bow without making it and open bow? NO, so it has almost everything.
HBjet

Kwicherbichen
06-07-2002, 12:57 AM
I would go with the 19' Edge Stealth or the 21' Edge Phantom from J&M Marine or Tom Papp. You get a complete custom boat ready to haul ass all day long and they have the best prices per foot. Stock it may not go as fast as Mark's CP (which is a nice ride) but I guarantee it's much safer than both CP models. No offense LR, I know you like'em but I just can't trust'em with the hook. There are 3 other boats I'd choose just because of that problem.

flat broke
06-07-2002, 07:16 AM
I am hearing a lot of negative on hooking issues with CPs on this thread. The distinction was already made that it is the TUNNEL version that is prone to those nasty manners. I have yet to hear of a gullwing setup for the lake send someone swimming. Could it be that if indeed some of you have heard of gullwing's hooking, that it was because the setup was a little to aggressive for the situation at hand? I'm not trying to take anything away from Papps boats, but I would hate for someone who just started with jets to get the impression that gullwings are unsafe rides. Speaking of gullwings, do we know who scored the $3500 CP in the trader 2 wks ago with a running BBC and seating for 6? I saw the boat and immediately thought of Hustler because I know he has wanted one for a while, but at that price the thing was gone quick.
Chris

1quickjet
06-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Flat Broke, I saw the boat too, thought Bense468 might be interested, heard him say he was looking. Regarding hooking, it was my understanding that the gullwings, not the tunnels hooked. I have heard this from many people, but I may be mistaken. I just talked with Bill Scotten last week, I wish we would have discussed that. I remember, vaugely, as a kid, going to the shore to watch a flat or a CP run, because it meant someone was going for a swim. I do remember watching a lot of crashes, regardless of hull. You may be correct about an overly aggresive set-up, but I don't seem to hear of any of the other popular hulls (crusader, daytonas, placecrafts later) having those nasty manners. From many people I have talked to, the CP's got a bad rap back then, but maybe set-up has come a long way, because they are becoming even more popular. (The new one I saw Bill finishing was Bitchin') 1QJ

JETBOAT BRIAN
06-07-2002, 08:23 AM
I have a 21 edge phantom and I am very pleased with it
I bought it with a mindset to run it stock until I could afford upgrades!
with that in mind, and knowing I could not afford two boats,I wanted to be sure the boat I chose could handle any amount of power I could afford to throw at it.
This boat has done it very well
Only problem is stock sux and you never stop wanting to do more
But if the hull you choose can handle future power upgrades you are one step ahead of the game !

froggystyle
06-07-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by 1quickjet:
(The new one I saw Bill finishing was Bitchin') 1QJ
Was that the blue and white jobber with flowcoated flooring? I saw that boat a couple of weeks ago.
Bad ass boat.

ROZ
06-07-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by froggystyle:
Was that the blue and white jobber with flowcoated flooring? I saw that boat a couple of weeks ago.
Bad ass boat.
Term I haven't seen...What is Flowcoated Flooring?

djdplacecraft
06-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Speaking of gullwings, do we know who scored the $3500 CP in the trader 2 wks ago with a running BBC and seating for 6?
Chris[/B][/QUOTE]
i called on it cause u cant have to many toys!The guy said he had to sell it cause he was going thriugh a divorce and the x wanted half of what he got for it.I bet they put it in one of his buddies names and showed the add to the judge and just gave her half of $3500.At least thats what i figured he did cause he told me what he had in it and it was'nt cheap.

Bense468
06-07-2002, 12:43 PM
I am still looking actually. I want a gullwing. It is the tunnel that hooks. The gullwings are pretty stable boats. I am pretty sure i want an 18 like wrightnows. But I have kind of been thinking about the 19 just for a little more room. They are both bitchen. I wish I would have seen it. I have been getting the boat trader also I guess I missed it. Was it a gullwing. How in the world can it seat 6 with a BBC? sounds like a 20. Thinking about talking to scotten to see how much a new one layed up with a set back pump less motor and rigging on a double axel trailer would cost? If any of you might have an idea feel free to post it for I am curious.
[This message has been edited by Bense468 (edited June 07, 2002).]

GM Killer
06-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Jim Guthrie has a nice 19 gullwing for sale. It is red with graphics, and complete minus the motor. The pump is fresh. If I remember he was asking 12500

HBjet
06-07-2002, 01:02 PM
A few years ago (4) I talked to Scotten about a 19 gullwing, the layup I wanted, the color, the interior, the pump set back, diverter, trailer, basically everything less motor was 17k.....again, that was 4 years ago.
HBjet

1quickjet
06-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by froggystyle:
Bad ass boat.
Actually, Froggy it was mainly green. It had some white and some different blues for accents, and a pinstripe of yellow. It doesn't sound so hot, but it really looked nice for a green boat. Very clean and different. This one had a BBC, single carb, no setback, ride plate, shoe, no droop. Looked like an immaculate river ride. He was just finishing it. Someone is having some fun about now. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Bense468
06-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by GM Killer:
Jim Guthrie has a nice 19 gullwing for sale. It is red with graphics, and complete minus the motor. The pump is fresh. If I remember he was asking 12500
Do you have any pics and how light is the lay up? I think I may have seen this somewhere before. If I remember right it had some wild graphics on the bow. Black and white checkered. I may be wrong

Bense468
06-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
A few years ago (4) I talked to Scotten about a 19 gullwing, the layup I wanted, the color, the interior, the pump set back, diverter, trailer, basically everything less motor was 17k.....again, that was 4 years ago.
HBjet
Right on Randy thanks.

1riverrat
06-07-2002, 04:16 PM
I'm the guy with the two gullwings that DJDplacecraft is talking about. In both boats I can back off the gas and the boat still goes straight. The light lay-up one I have has a stock 429 right out of a station wagon for now it does about 64 mph. I love the way they ride. Here is a crappy pic if you look close there is not alot of boat in the water for the speed.
http://home.earthlink.net/~riverratts/_uimages/river1.jpg
[This message has been edited by 1riverrat (edited June 07, 2002).]

1riverrat
06-07-2002, 04:17 PM
[This message has been edited by 1riverrat (edited June 07, 2002).]

LOWRIVER2
06-07-2002, 04:37 PM
The green one is a standard 19 gullwing and was delivered to it's happy owner Monday. It has a Scotten built 468 ski motor and the fades on the deck are really nice. The "hockey sticks" on the deck were modified and look really nice. The boat lives in Riverside Co. and will be at Lost Lake and other points south with a group who have 5 CP's. One guy has a new 18ft. on a race dolly so it fits in his new 26ft. Santek trailer. Real nice way to go different places.
B468,
Scotten does'nt usually take photos of his boats as he likes for them to all be a little different. He's made around 480 of them now and for the most part, they are. The price for a new 19 gullwing sans motor is right in the same ballpark HBjet was told four years ago.
HBjet,
Yeah, the deck is light but I got a picture with WN sitting on it and it did'nt crack (yet!). If you need to stand on your deck, it's time for an open bow! J/K
There are a lot of nice small jetboats to go fast in, I just think Wrightnow's is cool because it was so cheap to get all the types of use and reliability he got from it. I'm sure he'll show up to the Op6 meet. Go for a ride in it and be the judge. It can hang with the big boys off the line, that's for sure.
As far as I know (limited at that)the gull wings were started by Earl Smith of Texas Tunnel fame and the molds were bought by Scotten before he made some changes. Other gullwing companies who got molds were Sunkist, Mantra and couple others. The older ones were layed up lighter and you won't see a new one at those weights. The older ones also look a little wavy on the sides because of this (although wavy sides don't always mean it's a true light weight hull). The way to tell a CP from a another brand gullwing is by looking at the start of the "drop down" of the outside strake on the side. CP's drop down further back than the other brands.
The last new CP in Hot Boat mag. was June 97". It was a 19, red with a 509 that ran 94 in the test (standard, regular lay up hull). The owner sold it to make the 00 Blue,purple,wht. #36 18 that runs regularly at LL.
Scotten has just finished another 19 (yellow) for a customer and is gonna start soon on a new 19 to have in stock. Bense468, I think it's got your name on it!
LR

Bense468
06-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Oh I wish. Thanks for the info. I have wanted one of these since I was 19. I was mis-informed when I was 19 that they were to light for the river and they only made race light hulls until I was about 21 or so. I just turned 23 have had my beismeier since I was 18 and it is moving along really good but I would like to step up. I have the power plant. It is running real strong, should be running a lot better this year with the new heads, cam and intake. I don't have the cash for one right now (just bought a house)but maybe by winter or so I will be able to get rid of my hull and get on a CP. I have been going to the races watching them set, talking to as many people as I can about them. I want a gullwing I know that for sure. One that I can take to the river so a more solid built one. By any chance do you know how heavy wrightnows is? I talked to him a long time ago just forgot. Anyway I have learned a lot and done just about everything to my boat that I can do to learn. I even capped the boat myself. It does need new gell but looks ok. I just don't want to spend anymore on this hull. I want to build my dream boat. Thanks for the info.

Bense468
06-07-2002, 05:57 PM
If he is going to be laying one up soon I would not mind going down and seeing it and talking to him to get some ideas though of what we can do.

Jetmugg
06-07-2002, 07:20 PM
I had (past tense - boo hoo) a 19' CP Gullwing Open Bow I bought directly from Scotten in '98. The boat was absolutely beautiful, with about 7 shades of blue highlighted by yellow and green. It turned heads and dropped jaws everywhere I took it. The open bow area was very handy for floating and lounging, and the storage under the fold-up bow section was great. Scotten said he didn't like making the open bow model, because of the extra work involved and the added weight in the front end. Mine was fairly mild (about 475 HP) and had thru-transom exhaust for the "family" image. This boat was absolutely great for skiing, cruising, relaxing, and hot-rodding. It ran a best of 83 mph with the mild engine. I am still kicking myself for selling that boat, but I needed money at the time. A guy in Alaska bought it, and had it shipped all the way up there. He loves it. For my money, you won't go wrong with a Gullwing.
SteveM

DEL51
06-07-2002, 10:14 PM
WOW,What a great topic Lowriver!I am in the process of getting a 19 ft centurion tunnel hull.It is a 79 and appears to be in good shape.I think it looks like a daytona and was wondering if anybody has had any experience or opinions about this hull. Thanks,DEL51

LOWRIVER2
06-08-2002, 06:59 AM
B468,
I think he'll be laying it up in July. WN's weighs around 390lbs. which is a light layup. Wild Bill's dad is an original owner of a 79'19gullwing that weighs 400lbs.(!) They aren't that light anymore but there are some used ones out there that pop up and if you capped your own hull, you'd have no problem taking an old hull and making it as good as new. Scotten buys old ones and refurbishes them. It's not a bad way to go at all. If you've been to Ming, then you know what brand of jet boat is used by at least a 2to1 margin: CP's. If you can, come to the Manufacturer's Cup at Ming in Sept., a lot of CP's will show that don't run the whole season.
Jetmugg,
I love the open bow, most folks hate them but it is the best way to have a quick small jet boat and keep the family happy at the same time. There are less than 20 made and you don't lose much performance (if any) with the open bow. I stil have the printout of yours when it was for sale and I too kick myself for not BUYING it. The boating season in Alaska must be short!
The owner of Clay Smith Cams has a blown open bow CP and the owner of GS marine has a CP. I'd say there must be something good about a gullwing.
Del51, I'd bet someone at Banderlog.com at the Jet board would have info. for you. A lot of good jet history and knowledge over there.
Low-all small jet boats are great-River

LOWRIVER2
06-08-2002, 07:22 AM
Oh, and for stability,
Scotten has told me and others that the gullwings and tunnels are meant to run up to 120mph. He does'nt like them going faster than that. There are a few who race tunnels up to 140mph and those racers know the risks. Any gullwing I've heard (10 that I know of, there are more) that crashed was operator error or, in one case, an older gulwing (that had been beat to hell) had the floor delaminate. That can happen to any hull that's been mistreated over 20yrs. I've wrote before that Scotten (and Jim Guthrie) are very cautious about not building a 100mph. CP and "handing it" to an inexperienced boater. They like guys that use their motors to build up a "learning curve" with power and grate upgrades over time which is something pretty unique (unfortunatley) in the performance boating arena. The only driver fatality I've heard of in a CP happened at Ming in 00 in a tunnel. Others have died in Texas tunnels and other brands. I know of a few passenger fatalities that occurred but were from accidents (ie: boat hitting shoreline, non mechanical error)
You can have seating for six in a "lounge seat" as Scotten calls it. It is a rear seat that goes from the side all the way around on a 19. I think a lot of the older jet boats had that.

Bense468
06-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Now do they do pretty clean gell. If I wanted my own gell scene made up which I already have designed would they work with it? This will probable be the deciding factor on if I go with a new one or find a refurbed one and have it re-gelled by barney. It is all in numbers as in cash numbers. either way I would not mind because I have no problem doing the work as long as they were both equal boats. The thing I am always afraid of with these used hulls is telling if it will be to light for me (used boats). I do run blythe a lot but I have been known to make it to havasu since thats where are place is. Usually on off weekends. My boat was pretty light and I made it stronger with some braces and glass work. It helped out a lot. There was not that much flex when I was done. Before that I thought my boat was going to break in half on one memorial.
[This message has been edited by Bense468 (edited June 08, 2002).]

jstwkd
06-09-2002, 10:23 AM
I called about two months ago.The price I was quoted everything less motor 18,500.I pick out the colors.But Ive also been told that they were unsafe so I started looking at eliminators.

LOWRIVER2
06-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Bense468,
If you like Havasu, the standard weight hull might suit you better. The lightweights are strong but I know how rough that lake can get. The red 19 I mentioned is a standard weight and the 509 in it was built by Scotten. That motor set up he makes is very reliable for all around use. If you end up going more to the lake down the road, a 21 Edge like Jet Boat Brian's might be a better pick for the rough stuff. But let me be the last guy from steering you from a CP!
Anyone,
As for stability, ride in any gullwing CP set up for the river and I'd venture to say you would find it as stable or better than any other 18-19ft. hull out there.

Jetboatguru
06-09-2002, 12:43 PM
LowRiver, I can't believe you are trying to talk Bense into a CP. Read what he says. He wants performance, and a comfortable ride for he and several passengers. Doesn't it sound more fitting to put him in Flatbottom?
FLATS RULE!!!!!!!!!.. Next weekend at Lost Lake Gary. Maybe you will hop in the Skid mark for a ride.

Bense468
06-09-2002, 02:29 PM
The guru. I have a flat sitting in my drive way right now. Been there and down that. I was right next to your ass at the njba races back in April for a long time and did not introduce myself because you were talking to some lady. Didn't want to mess up your game.
He does not need to talk me into a CP I have already been convinced, about 6 years ago I was out with my brothers girlfriends dad and he knew a guy with a blown grey CP running 118 on GPS. We were at lost lakes and I went for a high speed run. It planted and was gone. Set straight as in arrow.
My dad was in the boating industry when he was younger and knew a lot of people. Doug Durnell was his best friend. He used to race Blown fuel jet. We were always at the races when I was younger. My dad used to set up pumps at Harmin Marine. Ron Pace also worked with him, which eventually got involved with starting legend. Anyway I have always like pump boats. So Lowriver what do you think about their gell? I am still curious about what I mentioned above.

HBjet
06-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Bense468:
my brothers girlfriends dad and he knew a guy.
I love that part!
B468, as far as I know, they will do your gel as you want it, just as long as Scotten approves!
HBjet

SoCalPower
06-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Hey 19 Fans,
I have rigged over 100 CPs and they are awesome boats. My personal favorite is the 19'....fast, roomy and most importantly SAFE. Although I'm not crazy about doing it, I'm considering sellin my 19. It's an 82 on tandem trailer less engine, jet and seats. New stringers and carpet installed by G.S. Marine a few years back. Stringers have not been drilled yet. White w/ blues and pins in yellow and orange. Will take $7500.00.

HBjet
06-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by SoCalPower:
Hey 19 Fans,
I have rigged over 100 CPs and they are awesome boats. My personal favorite is the 19'....fast, roomy and most importantly SAFE. Although I'm not crazy about doing it, I'm considering sellin my 19. It's an 82 on tandem trailer less engine, jet and seats. New stringers and carpet installed by G.S. Marine a few years back. Stringers have not been drilled yet. White w/ blues and pins in yellow and orange. Will take $7500.00.
Can you post any photos?
HBjet

LOWRIVER2
06-10-2002, 03:53 AM
JBG,
I'll liberate Wild Bill's lifeline, ready to roll next weekend. Hey, ALL fast boats are fine with me, I may have a bias but you know if it's quick and has top end, I'm all for it.
Bense468, Yeah, one rumor about CP's that's true is Scotten is against totally wild (although sometimes cool) gel coats. Although there are a few that have been done under his approval and he's starting to try new designs. I'd bet you could get what you want. I'm just not sure about the tribal designs yet. (I think those are too big for the small boats anyways). If you did go used, There are some really good painters out there that'll do whatever you want. You just have to wait till winter when they slow down from the big company stuff. That SOCAL boat sounds good, bring on the pictures.

SoCalPower
06-10-2002, 06:44 AM
I'll take few pics this afternoon and post them tonight. Also, jet intake is setback w/ fiberglass T/A and has shoe/rideplate/cradle. Tanks are gravity feed with flush fills.
DB

djdplacecraft
06-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Here is a crappy pic if you look close there is not alot of boat in the water for the speed.
http://home.earthlink.net/~riverratts/_uimages/river1.jpg
[This message has been edited by 1riverrat (edited June 07, 2002).][/B][/QUOTE]
Hey dude u need to fire that photographer he sucks.are we going tov drive regatta this weekend?

Bense468
06-10-2002, 01:29 PM
I am intrested. I would like to see some more pics if you can post some. Thanks.

SoCalPower
06-10-2002, 07:15 PM
Here is a pic of the 1982 California Performance I have for sale. I'm located in Woodcrest (near Riverside, CA). The boat has not been in the water since 1995. Needs engine, jet-drive and seats. Here is my contact info: Dave Batista ~ 909/789-6179
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/front.JPG
[This message has been edited by SoCalPower (edited June 10, 2002).]

SoCalPower
06-10-2002, 07:19 PM
More to come........

SoCalPower
06-10-2002, 07:21 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/top.JPG

Oldsquirt
06-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Here ya go SoCal
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/side.JPG

SoCalPower
06-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Many thanks oldsquirt, missed it by a bracket.
Questions/comments/offers???

MissHBjet
06-10-2002, 07:43 PM
HOLY CRAP....That SWEET thing needs to be in the water!!!
MissHBjet

djdplacecraft
06-10-2002, 08:21 PM
HEY 1RIVERRATT U SHOULD BUY THAT U NEED ANOTHER BOAT AT YOUR HOUSE THEN YOU WILL HAVE MORE BOATS THAN SEADOOS

djdplacecraft
06-10-2002, 08:30 PM
OH IM SORRY I FORGOT THERE YOUR WIFES

LOWRIVER2
06-11-2002, 03:39 AM
Great looking boat SocalPower,
The dual hockey sticks look real sharp.
The one thing Scotten says at Ming when asked about his boats:"Sooner or later, you'll own a Performance"

SoCalPower
06-11-2002, 04:14 AM
Thanks LR2, this is my second and I'm sure I'll build a third one day. This boat works very well. I'm going to be sure and measure installed intake angle and shoe depth precisely before cutting it loose.
DB

Bense468
06-11-2002, 11:40 AM
So Cal you are Dave? I used to talk to you a long time ago. You own or run Boatpart right? I bought a crossover from you guys when you first started and thats how you got me hooked up with John. I have had my boat in to him. He helped me with all my braided lines. I remember talking to him back then about CP's He told me he used to rig for them or something like that. Anyway that CP looks clean. So it is a 19? You are going to pull the pump?

Bense468
06-11-2002, 11:45 AM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/7cf30d/bc/My+Photos/P1010002.jpg?bc31eL9Al2FkiK9G
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/7cf30d/bc/My+Photos/P1010003.jpg?bc31eL9AO5v5XG1f

SoCalPower
06-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Bense468:
So Cal you are Dave? I used to talk to you a long time ago. You own or run Boatpart right? I bought a crossover from you guys when you first started and thats how you got me hooked up with John. I have had my boat in to him. He helped me with all my braided lines. I remember talking to him back then about CP's He told me he used to rig for them or something like that. Anyway that CP looks clean. So it is a 19? You are going to pull the pump?
Its amazing who you run into on these boards. Yes, I'm Dave and yes, it's a 19. The pump that is in the pic is just a suction piece with a short shaft that I use as a jig for making rail kits, mounting engines and making transom plates. I'm keeping the jet-drive from the boat because I have way too much time in it and I don't want to start from scratch when I build another boat......whenever that will be. I leased out the the domain name, Boatpart.com, and its up and running again. I am continuing to manufacture the crossovers (looks good on your engine by the way) and will have a new version with a built-in heat exchanger soon. I'll post a pic of the prototype if anyone is interested. There is a older version in the media center now.
Also, John closed his shop about 6 weeks ago.

1quickjet
06-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi Dave. You might remember me as well, although I was just a little dude last time you saw me, but I am sure you remember my family.
[This message has been edited by 1quickjet (edited June 11, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by 1quickjet (edited June 12, 2002).]

Havasu_Jet_85
06-11-2002, 07:06 PM
About 3 weeks ago there was a 1985, 23' California Performance in the boat trader for $3,500

SoCalPower
06-11-2002, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1quickjet:
[B]Hi Dave. You might remember me as well, although I was just a little dude last time you saw me, but I am sure you remember my family. Jeff Rounds
I remember you and your family very well and yes, you were a very little dude then. Send my regards.

SoCalPower
06-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Jet_85:
About 3 weeks ago there was a 1985, 23' California Performance in the boat trader for $3,500
I can't believe someone went through the trouble of streeeeeeeetching a Performance. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif Unless, BS worked a deal and allowed someone to use his CG numbers on a one-off???

LOWRIVER2
06-11-2002, 08:31 PM
I do know that there was a California manufacturing co. that made 18ft. tri hull runabouts in the 70's and, when Scotten bought the name, those tri hulls were then technically CP's! My buddy still has one with a little 302 ford and I/O. Scotten has told him he would do repair work on it if he wanted. It is definately the slowest "CP" around.

hwyman
06-12-2002, 09:03 AM
I'm very happy with mine. It's a 19' gullwing openbow with the manufactured name of Predator. Lowriver is right in respect to being just about the best all around small jet boat for the amount of money spent.
As far as a claim of these boats being unsafe, my experience is quite the opposite. I was driving mine back in '96 at about 60 mph when the fuel pump quit.
The boat stayed straight as an arrow and just settled in the water. Heck, i did'nt even take water over the transom and it did'nt have a splash guard.
I run pump gas in mine and 2 years ago it ran 84.6 mph on gps. Now i just rebuilt the pump and it responds alot better. Time to do a little set up and see where she will run now. All in all, for the price you can't beat a gullwing for speed and safety with alot more room than most other boats http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif