PDA

View Full Version : Goin NUTS!!! Alt and Wire help.

Danhercules
03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Ok, as most of you know, I am doin a rewire on the boat. Elsinore water is not good for wiring
I pick up a LnL wire loom. So far all is great exept this alternater crap.
The loom has a larger orange wire and a small purple wire. I know the purple is "key hot" The wireing on my existing alt has 3 wires. :confused: :confused:
There is also a black bock on the back of the head, I think is a votage regulater? Thats suppost to be wired up too, right?

Nucking futs
03-24-2005, 01:50 PM
does this help?wire diagram (http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/WiringDiagram.htm)

victorfb
03-24-2005, 01:56 PM
thats a diagram for a gm set up. dans alt. uses an external voltage regulater that i believe has a 5 pin connector. not sure yet what pins are used for a simple set up. id have to look at the book.

Nucking futs
03-24-2005, 02:00 PM
It should have a chevy in it anyways !!!!!!!!!

Zeug
03-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Dan, where did you get your wiring harness from? Do you like it?
I need to rewire and havent decided whether to use a prefab or not.

Danhercules
03-24-2005, 02:13 PM
O do like the harnes. Its clean.
Its hard cause I have a Ford, with a chevy style starter. So that was diffrent.
No futs and vic, dose not help. I have a orange wire. If I get a GM alt, do I jsut hook up the two wires? Thick orange lead to the Output and then is there a spot of the small key hot? Is there a trigger or somthing? why the purple key hot?

flat broke
03-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Dan,
Ditch the externally regulated alternator, pick up a self exciting single wire deal and you are good to go. I'd bet most of the new truck alternators would be close enough to fit? Call Paul up and he could probably even tell you what model and year to ask for!
On a single wire alternator, all you would have is the orange lead going to the alternator. My guess on that purple wire (common boat color code for 12v switched) is that it would be the exciter wire for multple wire setups. On a single wire alternator, you don't need the exciter wire, so you could just pull it back through the loom, or cap it off at the end so it doesn't short out against anything.
Hope that helps,
Chris

V1800J
03-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Try this site www.americanstreetmasters.com and look under the Wiring
section. They have all sorts of diagrams.

Sanger Jet
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Dan,
Ditch the externally regulated alternator, pick up a self exciting single wire deal and you are good to go. I'd bet most of the new truck alternators would be close enough to fit? Call Paul up and he could probably even tell you what model and year to ask for!
On a single wire alternator, all you would have is the orange lead going to the alternator. My guess on that purple wire (common boat color code for 12v switched) is that it would be the exciter wire for multple wire setups. On a single wire alternator, you don't need the exciter wire, so you could just pull it back through the loom, or cap it off at the end so it doesn't short out against anything.
Hope that helps,
Chris
This will work.........I run it!!! Good advise chris

Danhercules
03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Dan,
Hope that helps,
Chris
Thanks Someone told me what to do wiht my damn purple and orange wire. LOL
i am on it. Thanks

460 jus getn it
03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
if u want to get a 1 wire alt autozone has them. the part number is DL7140M. thos is the gm 1 wire alt. it goes for 84.99 and has a lifetime warrenty. not like i sell parts or anything like that..........

77Eliminator
03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Does this help
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/448Wiring_Diagram.jpg