PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "safe way" (simpler) to invest in a commodity?

MagicMtnDan
04-24-2006, 05:09 PM
There's a commodity I want to invest in but I've never done it before and from what I've heard it sounds very complicated. Is there a simpler way to invest in a commodity? I suppose I could invest in a company involved in that commodity but I'd like to find another more direct way.
Thanks

It's Only Money
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Save your money and buy a boat then you can actually have some credibility here.

moneypit
04-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I suppose I could invest in a company involved in that commodity
Thanks
I have done it this way. Mostly through gold.

HM
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Options. Your cheapest way to an investment. But, it is like betting on Red or Black as you either win or lose.

HM
04-24-2006, 05:56 PM
I have done it this way. Mostly through gold.
Now I know where you get your HB name. Gold....the ultimate money pit! (Atleast as a long term investment....perhaps you have done well in the short term.)

moneypit
04-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Now I know where you get your HB name. Gold....the ultimate money pit! (Atleast as a long term investment....perhaps you have done well in the short term.)
And I know where you got your name Holy Moly. When you look at what im talking about. Tell me where the money is being is being lost (Long term of course). :p
Vista Gold (http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=vgz&sid=0&o_symb=vgz)

NOCTURNAL
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
If you do not know much about options, then I would not invest in commodities. There is more to it than betting on red or black. You can buy a position in a commodity and then buy a put or call to hedge. You can also buy both to "collar" your position to limit losses (or gains). If you like risk, you can short the commodity - but the downside is unlimited liability.
Have fun - and remember - buy frozen orange juice concentrate.