PDA

View Full Version : diverter problems

mile2885
03-25-2005, 08:10 PM
ok, just wired up the pump. I triple checked the wiring and it is all correct. The problem I'm having is that the only time I hear the pump going is when I press down. When I hit the up switch nothing......just a clicking noise. I assume it is suppose to pump up AND down. WTF???? Help!!! Thanks!!!! :mad:

jdf
03-25-2005, 08:29 PM
check the hyd. lines you may have them backwards???

mile2885
03-25-2005, 09:03 PM
don't think it has anything to do with the lines. I was under the impression that the pump would pump both up and down. I'm only getting down with no lines attached.... :confused: Maybe the battery is tits up

malcolm
03-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't know exactly how that setup works (I have a cable). So does it have 2 relays (one up/one down)? Sounds like maybe the up relay isn't making a connection. I would think you could find that pretty easily with a cheap test light. If I wasn't so busy right now I'd come down and give you a hand.

Dana Marine Products
03-26-2005, 07:51 AM
If you're using the Bennet pump that is supplied by Place Diverter it will operate both directions. Your problem is electrical, not lines. If your using the standard toggle switch that comes in the hydraulic kit you've got a bad solenoid on the pump. Place Diverter can help you with a replacement solenoid. If your using some sort of steering wheel mounted switch that is requiring the use of a diode kit, you can have a bad diode or a bad solenoid. The fact that you hear a clicking noise would lead me to think it's a solenoid. Either way, it's about a 15 minute fix. If you need any additional help, let me know. Bob @ Dana Marine

mile2885
03-26-2005, 01:10 PM
The pump works fine. It's a problem with the diodes. No clue where to go from here.

Dana Marine Products
03-26-2005, 02:23 PM
If the pump is operating both directions you're probably right about the bad diode. It happens. Depending on which diode kit you have it could be simple or a pain. Most of the new diode kits use an inline diode you can get from any electrical supply. I would get two, (that's how many are in each kit) and if your handy with a soldering iron you can replace them (1 at a time) within minutes. Be sure to note the grey circle around the diode's black body, that is signifying the direction the electricity flows. Make sure they go in the proper direction - which allows the power to flow to the pump from the switch.

mile2885
03-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the help. It's funny how a $1 part can cause so much frustration! Works good now. Now for the rest of the boat :idea:

Hallett19
03-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Are those diodes supposed to get hot ? I have the steering mounted switch and one of th wires came apart from the unit today while I was out :(
So I rewired it, got it rigged up real nice and was trimming and rewiring and noticed that those diodes get fairly warm with good use of the diverter. Is this normal ?

mile2885
03-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Ya, I think it is normal. The diodes are doing their job by acting as a check valve so the current can only go one way. When they are used they do get warm.