PDA

View Full Version : Trailer electrical help

clownpuncher
03-26-2005, 06:16 PM
My trailer lights are intermittent. Sometimes they're barely lit and when I hit a bump they get to their correct brightness. When they're dim and I hit the brakes the lights turn off. When I hit the turn signals all the trailer lights go dim-bright-dim etc......
I checked all the grounds and they seem good. Must be a short? Any easy tips to find the little bastard?
Help. I gotta get to Havasu tonight
Thanks in advance
Roland

clownpuncher
03-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Sumbitch.....that has to be it. I'm gonna check it now and let ya know. Thanks

Dr. Eagle
03-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Sumbitch.....that has to be it. I'm gonna check it now and let ya know. Thanks
That is why you really need to have a dedicated ground that goes through the wiring harness. The hitch ball is a bad bet for a ground.

Forkin' Crazy
03-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a ground. Probably best to make sure you have a ground at the truck connecter (white wire male pin) and make sure the pig-tail on the trailer's ground (white too) is grounded.

Dr. Eagle
03-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a ground. Probably best to make sure you have a ground at the truck connecter (white wire male pin) and make sure the pig-tail on the trailer's ground (white too) is grounded.
Probably should check the ground wire connection on the trailer. Mine is pop rivited and it can rust around the rivet.

Moneypitt
03-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Nooooooo! Do not use the ball/hitch as the ground. Run a wire through the connector, 4 way, left.....right(turn/stop) tail,running, AND GROUND. Ground the trailer end to the trailer frame, and the truck end to the truck frame. Your problem is probably a bad connection somewhere in the system, corrosion creats resistance, which creates all sorts of grimlins. Use a seperate 12V source, and touch off on the trailer pins one at a time, and see the results. (don't forget to ground the trailer to the seperate 12V source.) and don't test the ground from the trailer with 12V.!! This will tell you if the problem is the trailer, or the truck......Its kinda hard to trouble shoot your trailer from here, but good luck............MP

clownpuncher
03-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Think I have it fixed. Off to Havasu and then to Vegas. :D

Dr. Eagle
03-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Think I have it fixed. Off to Havasu and then to Vegas. :D
Have FUN!!!!