PDA

View Full Version : HELP with trailer electrical

clownpuncher
03-26-2005, 06:20 PM
I posted this in the Sanbbar, but, you guys might be some better/faster help.
My trailer lights are intermittent. Sometimes they're barely lit and when I hit a bump they get to their correct brightness. When they're dim and I hit the brakes the lights turn off. When I hit the turn signals all the trailer lights go dim-bright-dim etc......
I checked all the grounds and they seem good. Must be a short? Any easy tips to find the little bastard?
Help. I gotta get to Havasu tonight
Thanks in advance
Roland

steelcomp
03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Roland, it sounds like a ground problem, even though you can't see it. I'd undo any screw connection for ground that you have and check for corrosion. I never depend on the trailer for a ground for that very reason. I always run a continuous ground wire, but it's a little late for that, right now. Check for broken wires, too. They can be broken inside the insulation where your pig tail bends a lot, or anywhere else for that matter. Check for loose or corroded crimps, loost light sockets, etc. You're going to have to get real close to all your connections and check them visually, as well as wiggle them, pull on them...see if you can get the condition to repeat itself while sitting there. 99 out of 100 times, it's a ground problem.

1HOTGMCJET
03-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Agreed - actually, it's probably a combination of your main ground (usually white) and various other areas in the harness that have probably cracked and weathered, causing false grounds/shorts as well - clean up the main ground best you can, then add some dielectric grease, both there and in your trailer connector to help - then as soon as you can, just get a harness and rewire, it's not a bad job, took me about 3-4 hours to do mine.......Good Luck! :shift: :shift: :shift:

clownpuncher
03-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the quick help. Problem seems to be much better, not perfect, after cleaning the ball and hitch. I gotta check it when I have time and light for the continuous ground.
I'm hopefull of little traffic tonight on the roads from Palm Springs to Havasu.
Roland

steelcomp
03-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you're using your hitch as the ground connection between your vehicle and the trailer which means either you have no ground wire between the two, or if you do, that's where the problem is.