PDA

View Full Version : hard starts

dean51267
03-26-2005, 08:04 PM
twin 454's, 1993 vintage, carb motors, very hard to start when cold, once warm starts easy, idol's easy, top end seems okay, but choke appears to work just fine. All I can think is the fuel pumps are not priming carbs well, which looks like fuel pressure, but under power boat performs fine.
Your thoughts?

Floored
03-27-2005, 10:17 AM
do you have mech. fuel pumps? if so then it has to fill the carbs up which takes awhile. if electric pumps maybe a weak spark to plugs to fire the cold mixture. in older motors if compression is a little lower it doesn't heat the mix as much when compressing and its harder to fire. If Q-jet carbs maybe loose throttle shafts causing vacuum leak enough to defeat the choke somewhat. just tossing some out need more info.

Moneypitt
03-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I need a little more info on the circumstances that lead to the "hard starts". Like after sitting all winter, or just the next morning after running? More info.........MP

dean51267
03-29-2005, 07:16 PM
I need a little more info on the circumstances that lead to the "hard starts". Like after sitting all winter, or just the next morning after running? More info.........MP
after sitting a few days, acts like when the carb bowls empty and take a LONG time to fill up............

GofastRacer
03-29-2005, 08:53 PM
If you have electric pumps, turn the power on and listen to them, they will slow down to almost nothing when the bowls are full, then give it a couple of shots of fuel should start right up!.. If not check ignition system!..