PDA

View Full Version : Attn: A catered life

Wet Dream
03-27-2005, 07:09 AM
In your signature it reads: Remember to tip the caterer. I agree completely. What if you get the bill (statement) and it has gratuity on it and it is already filled in for you? :confused:

a catered life
03-27-2005, 05:06 PM
lol........some restaurants do that for large parties but its on our contact before u sign with us..... :eek: but we only add 10% most caterers add 15-20% and i give it all to my staff but off course i make my money on the initial contract :frown:

SoCal_fun
03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Can I get a cut of that buddy??

mike37
03-27-2005, 06:46 PM
OK how come a tip is mandatory now
a tip was for extra good serves
now every one wants a tip for just doing there job in a half ass way

Wet Dream
03-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I was just curious. They were great to us and the food was excellent. They added a 15% tip and that wasn't a problem at all. We even did the dishes before they came to pick it all up.

a catered life
03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
tipping is a industry standard now. :frown: i cant explain why this happened :hammerhea but i can say for us we usually get a tip on top of the contract tip. its all in the service. people dont hire a caterer only for their good food they hire one for the service and no hassle anyone can food cook decent food but to do it for 500 people thats a different story to set up ,display it, refresh, serve, wash dishes, clean facilities, and take out trash.... dont you think they deserve a tip.
i tip the guys who repair my boat when i go pick it up i stop and get 2- 18 packs of beer and two bottle of tequilla one for the head service guy and one for the real guy who worked on my boat

a catered life
03-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Can I get a cut of that buddy??
what up larry long time no hear from hows the family?

mike37
03-27-2005, 07:07 PM
tipping is a industry standard now. :frown: i cant explain why this happened :hammerhea but i can say for us we usually get a tip on top of the contract tip. its all in the service. people dont hire a caterer only for their good food they hire one for the service and no hassle anyone can food cook decent food but to do it for 500 people thats a different story to set up ,display it, refresh, serve, wash dishes, clean facilities, and take out trash.... dont you think they deserve a tip.
i tip the guys who repair my boat when i go pick it up i stop and get 2- 18 packs of beer and two bottle of tequilla one for the head service guy and one for the real guy who worked on my boat
I only give tips for serves that is above standard
if some one gets payed to do a job why would you tip them
a tip is for better than average serves
and that person that gives above average serves should get a good tip because you are getting more than you pay for

a catered life
03-27-2005, 07:11 PM
sorry to hear you feel that way :frown: how do you gage standard service dennys? but how would you like to spend $25 per plate and get service like you get at mickey D's
the old says goes you get what u pay for :hammerhea

mike37
03-27-2005, 07:25 PM
sorry to hear you feel that way :frown: how do you gage standard service dennys? but how would you like to spend $25 per plate and get service like you get at mickey D's
the old says goes you get what u pay for :hammerhea
Im not saying you don't do good serves and you and your employees probably do great work and if your getting tips over and above your standard 10% that id say you deserve it
the cost of the plat has nothing to do with serves
if I'm at Denny's and the waitress has a lot of tables I expect to get served to the best she can and will get a good tip
but if she has two tables to serve and I cant get a refill then no tip for her
we would go to sizzler to eat and there was a waitress there that could keep every one in her zone Happy and would pick up the slack in other arias
I would give her 30% or more and verbally tell her how good her serves was
and mention to the manager on occasion the good job she was doing

DEEZ NUTTS
03-27-2005, 07:26 PM
So what do you guys do at Sonic drive ups? I always give em an extra buck but then feel like I over paid for the same crap I could get at any other drive through. Do you tip just because somebody brought the food to your car instead of handing it through a window?

Racer277
03-27-2005, 07:52 PM
I was told in CA its a state law that party's of 8 or more at a restaurant they can add their own gratuity of 15%.
I've had good enough service that I added to that sometimes.
But if it's in the quoted price, then I knew the price ahead of time. That makes sense to me, you're just showing me a labor price you pass thru to the worker, no problem.

mike37
03-27-2005, 08:01 PM
I was told in CA its a state law that party's of 8 or more at a restaurant they can add their own gratuity of 15%.
I've had good enough service that I added to that sometimes.
But if it's in the quoted price, then I knew the price ahead of time. That makes sense to me, you're just showing me a labor price you pass thru to the worker, no problem.
you just reminded my why a tip is added in Calif wants to tax it if its a cash deal like it was then they cant tax the tip the waitress receives
hey A catered life do you have to pay payroll tax on the tips?????
and do the employees pay tax on the 10%

a catered life
03-28-2005, 07:29 AM
you just reminded my why a tip is added in Calif wants to tax it if its a cash deal like it was then they cant tax the tip the waitress receives
hey A catered life do you have to pay payroll tax on the tips?????
and do the employees pay tax on the 10%
no i dont we only have one fulltime employee on pay roll so we dont need to do that the fact of the matter is tipping is a courtesy if you dont want to do it then you dont have to, but i have the right to not do business with that person if a person complains over a 10% tip from us when the next caterer maybe charging 15% to 20% i may not want to do business with that person anyway. 100% of our business comes from word of mouth (may be the great service we provide :D )we have been in business for more than 9 years we started with small events and built up our customer base. we provide a personal service to all of our events we never book more than one event on a week this allows us to give personal attention to all events and not treat them like a regular client or customer. thats the main reasoning behind the name of our company Food4u Catering service. we provide food and a service for you and your honored guest from our hearts not costo or some factory food store. all of our items we serve are home made and we stand behind everything we do. i understand your questions about tipping but it a industry standard now. i didnt make the rules i just play by them. :frown:

Speedin' Ian
03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
While I was in college I worked as a waiter and bartender, and I can tell you that I always tip between 20-25%. When I am at a restraunt I know why my server is there, and I also know how tough the job can be, so I always give them the benefit of the doubt and tip them well. In the end $5 extra bucks doesn't mean much to me, but %25 vs %15 make s a big difference to the server.
As a side note I could always tell which customers had worked as servers and which had not.

a catered life
03-28-2005, 09:10 AM
good point speedin :p i also started in this industry working in restaurants and i feel the same way good service gets a nice tip bad service gets a lower one but i always tip something and for those that do a extra great job i talk to the manager and the server