PDA

View Full Version : Alloy river boats

Kiwi Legend Jetter
09-21-2001, 12:51 AM
Hay Jungle Boy
I'm in NZ, i have an interest in 'beer can' boats, is there a board other than this one for info regarding these boats?
I've checked out nzjetboating.com and jetboatracing.com
Only two weeks until the Worlds!!!! Yeehaa!

Jungle Boy
09-21-2001, 05:48 AM
Hi there Kiwi Legend. I don't of any other boards out there. There isn't enough of us I guess. I am suprised that there is not more people involved in this type of boating. There is more people in the States that race lawn mowers than race river boats!! Are you going to be racing in the Worlds? Most of the guys from here are leaving today or yesterday. The boats should be there today, I think. So testing and setup should beginning soon. Let the noise begin. I will be there on the 4th and will be real thirsty. See you there.

smokin
09-21-2001, 06:26 AM
hey jungleboy how light are them beer can boats they must be super light to run as fast as they do for a vee hull?

Jungle Boy
09-21-2001, 07:00 AM
Smokin; A typical 19' sport stripped to race will be about 1500+- lbs dry with a iron small block (no back seat, floor boards, carpet, side panels and cooler of beer). A fully equipped 19' will be about 1600 lbs. My fully loaded 21' sport is about 2100 lbs and still runs 68 -70 mph with a pretty much stock ZZ4 crate motor (port matched heads and 1.6 full roler rockers) and powerflow exhaust, timed at 34°. These boats work real good and are very tough. We jump beaver dams, trees and even bounce of the bank every now and then at speed and inflict very little damage.

smokin
09-21-2001, 07:12 AM
jungleboy that sounds pretty wild i bet its a blast i run a river that is real shallow you need to no where the channel is it gets pretty challenging sometimes mostly sand bars and logs i dont want to hit logs i have 19ft picklefork 496 bbc roller motor. craig

Joker
09-21-2001, 08:20 AM
I recently spent about four hours straightening my intake grate and grinding the freddy kreuger gouges out of the bottom of my boat after making a trip up to the falls on the mighty clearwater...Made a few bad navigational changes but the rush and the view were worth it

Jungle Boy
09-21-2001, 09:00 AM
The Clearwater must be getting and bit skinny by now. The rocks in that river are like razors. Did you go up from Rocky Mtn House? But you are right, the views are worth it. I have been to mighty nice places and you don't see any cops to take the beer away.

smokin
09-21-2001, 09:14 AM
cops can take your beer thats a bummer take my old lady but dont take my beeeer.

Kiwi Legend Jetter
09-21-2001, 02:11 PM
I dont race, but will be following this year, we spoke in an earlier post, i think you are naving for Sam strain in the Eagle/Merc hull. Is your sport hull a step tech?
It's the same down here with not many people racing, in fact jet boating is quite small compared to egg beaters. It's a pain in the ass trying to get good service when fixing or buying parts, but it is good to keep numbers on the rivers down. I say lets keep our secret safe!!!!
I only have a family boat (under construction) check it out www.nzjetboating.com/ham132.htm (http://www.nzjetboating.com/ham132.htm)
In fact you can find out more about "beer can boats" at www.nzjetboating.com (http://www.nzjetboating.com)
Hay Joker,
Many glass boats down here have a 'bizalloy' wear strip down the keel to protect the glass when bashing over rocks etc. It works very well, there will be one of these boats racing this year, in fact the boat won the NZ marathon last year. It wouldn't take to much effort to put one on your boat if you where doing a major rebuild on the hull, but then again you can't beat aluminium for strength.
[This message has been edited by Kiwi Legend Jetter (edited September 21, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Kiwi Legend Jetter (edited September 21, 2001).]

Jungle Boy
09-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Kiwi Jetter. Yes the 16 footers are a step-tech hull. They are a wild turning machine. At 65 mph, you crank the wheel as hard as you can and it will not break loose. With that little sportjet package, they will go from a standing start to top speed in about 100 ft. Lots of fun, but me personally, I prefer a V8 motors.

timitunnel
09-21-2001, 06:15 PM
I had that splashed my boat in tin and the haul weight 450lb. Wild lake ride! The river is something else!

nwjetboat
09-21-2001, 07:45 PM
Try Yahoo Aluminum jetboat club. Its a forum type board that deals with the more family type "beer can boats" running whitewater.
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/aluminumjetboats

Joker
09-22-2001, 07:24 AM
Hey Jungle boy what do you know about Malaysia...we may have a mutual freind. Kiwi I have never seen one of these bizalloy hulls up here everything is aluminum except for the water crafts.

Jungle Boy
09-22-2001, 08:01 AM
Joker, Never worked in Malaysia, But know few who have. Right now I work in Ecuador. Bit of a hot place but it gives me lots of time off to go boating when I'm on time off. Currently working a 21 days on, 21 days off rotation. I think Marathon is building a aluminum bottom, glass top side boat these days. I have seen an older one and it looked not too bad.