PDA

View Full Version : tell me about Baja boats

dean51267
03-27-2005, 04:40 PM
everyhting I learned about performance boats I learned here.....
And after the flop with my last one I am heading to a better known manufacturer, around here the BIG name is Baja....
How good, or poor, a boat do they build?

Kilrtoy
03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
everyhting I learned about performance boats I learned here.....
And after the flop with my last one I am heading to a better known manufacturer, around here the BIG name is Baja....
How good, or poor, a boat do they build?
Production preformance boats.....

dean51267
03-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Production preformance boats.....
is that good or bad? I a minclined to believe is someone has a system that consistantly produces superior results, this is good. BUt does Baja produce superior or inferior results?
I do not know, do not even have an opinion, but I value yours.

KACHINA KEN
03-27-2005, 04:49 PM
They are a big name in the mid-west. All the Bajas I've ridden were not to impressive aesthetically, the 20' is a fun little rocket but i would put it in the same category as Sea Doo, just fun like a fat chick or a moped. You just don't wanna get seen on or in one. :D :D :D

KACHINA KEN
03-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Kilr means they are generic cookie cutter' ish

Mandelon
03-27-2005, 04:53 PM
I believe they are owned by Brunswick...? The same company that owns Bayliner. :supp:

Garrddogg
03-27-2005, 04:54 PM
They are a big name in the mid-west. All the Bajas I've ridden were not to impressive aesthetically, the 20' is a fun little rocket but i would put it in the same category as Sea Doo, just fun like a fat chick or a moped. You just don't wanna get seen on or in one. :D :D :D
Now that sh it was funny!

NashvilleBound
03-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Now being in the Mid West I am surrounded by Baja's. Most of my friends own them and i enjoy the smooth rides I have taken in them. I would own one tho it would be a one off. It seems that most of the owners are satisfied with factory power. Most of these owners have had a chance to ride in my Ultra....I have scared the krap outta most of them. Safely, thank you. 60-65 is pretty fast for these guys out here. If I had a choice of one....30' with twin Illmor 625's or equivilant. Tho I am not sure Baja would even consider something like that. And Dean...your first line scares me.....

Kilrtoy
03-27-2005, 04:58 PM
March 2005 HB mag has a 30 with twin 496's for 160K and it runs 77MPH... Seems a little pricey for this type of boat......

Mandelon
03-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Seems like they own a lot of boat makers
Sea Ray
Albemarle
Hatteras
Bayliner
Arriva
Challenger
Quantum Boats
Robalo
Boston Whaler
Maxum
Jazz
Baja too....
It helps that they also own:
Mercury Marine :notam:
Headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee, the Brunswick Boat Group is the largest maker of pleasure boats in the world. 2004 net sales were $2.2 billion. The Boat Group makes Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxum, Hatteras, Meridian and Sealine pleasure boats from 16 to 100 feet; Baja high-performance boats from 20 to 44 feet; Albemarle, Boston Whaler, Palmetto, Sea Boss, Sea Pro and Trophy offshore fishing boats from 13 to 41 feet; and Crestliner, Lowe, Lund and Princecraft fishing, deck and pontoon boats from 10 to 26 feet; Land ‘N’ Sea parts and accessories distribution, and Attwood, marine parts and accessories.

NashvilleBound
03-27-2005, 05:01 PM
March 2005 HB mag has a 30 with twin 496's for 160K and it runs 77MPH... Seems a little pricey for this type of boat......
Oh, I totally agree they are over priced. Cookie cutter is a really good analogy. I have to give them the marketing....they are very popular out here. They look at me(no comments) in my Ultra like I am....or the boat is... from another planet.

Kachina26
03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Are they hand laid, or are they chopper gunned? IMHO you just get a better boat when it is custom built for you. I don't know much about Baja or other production boats, but nothing beats the feeling you get when your boat was built for YOU

Dribble
03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Baja is owned by Brunswick. They also own Bayliner Maxim and Sea Ray. They own Mercury and Mercruiser. And they make one hell of a bowling ball.

moneypit
03-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Thats just it. They are a ready order boat. They probably have the one you want on the shelf. If you want a boat thats exactly like your neighbors, go for it.

Kilrtoy
03-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh, I totally agree they are over priced. Cookie cutter is a really good analogy. I have to give them the marketing....they are very popular out here. They look at me(no comments) in my Ultra like I am....or the boat is... from another planet.
IT IS, THE WEST COAST...... THE BEST COAST

Kachina26
03-27-2005, 05:15 PM
232 baja, did you just pull your post???? You musta found this (http://sh.webhire.com/Public/250/)

hoolign
03-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I think the bottom line is buy what you like, obviously there has to be good points other wise they would not be selling so many. Don't worry what everyone puts there social status at. Buy what you like and can aford. I think alot people on here will be making big payments for many years. If your comfortable going in debt to have a one off boat by all means fill your boots..But myself i have never been one to care what anyone thought as long as I was content. I think the bajas look cool! talk to some baja owners! check out there website.

Tom Brown
03-27-2005, 05:34 PM
I think alot people on here will be making big payments for many years.
This is excellent advice. I wish I had bought something more affordable. :(
..But myself i have never been one to care what anyone thought as long as I was content.
That's a good policy, Sir Mixalot. :cool:

hoolign
03-27-2005, 05:36 PM
This is excellent advice. I wish I had bought something more affordable. :(
That's a good policy, Sir Mixalot. :cool:
EMPHASIS on the SIR!
:D

RiverOtter
03-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Now being in the Mid West .....
You're in the South East Dorthy :D Mid West TN maybe :D

DEEZ NUTTS
03-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Nothing wrong with Baja. I get tired of hearing the B.S. about custom boats. Whats so custom about all the west coast boats. One guy gets the green swoosh and the other guy gets the red flames with billet swim steps. So what, its the same damn boat out of the same mold.
Look in the traders or on line and see how many older West coast boats are for sale. Not that many have even been around that long or have not made bigger boats until recently. Check the Baja forums on offshoreonly.com lots of info and what to look for when buying any particular one.
I am shure that any used one will be just as "custom" as the west coast boats by now if the previous owner added an extra battery and stereo.

BoatPI
03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I visited the plant, in Bycrus, OH. Very clean and organized. Their boats are very strong and very quiet. Hand layed with blasa coring. they use pieces of blasa wood attached with cloth strings layed into the hull then glass over. It is a production boat, but of excellent quality. They make them strong as many Baja's are used on the Great Lakes. In production boats, the next and posigily top is Formula. They have a new 24' open bow.

Kilrtoy
03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Whats so custom about all the west coast boats. One guy gets the green swoosh and the other guy gets the red flames with billet swim steps. So what, its the same damn boat out of the same mold.
I am shure that any used one will be just as "custom" as the west coast boats by now if the previous owner added an extra battery and stereo.
That is what makes them custom, the ability to change what you dont like and add what you do...
Baja Salesmen, So you want one in red stickers or blue stickers, Hey buddy how about both, HAHAHAHAHAHA....
You cant customize a baja... im sorry, would you like a toilet also how about an upgrade to a C/D thingie.......... :D :D :D

Chromegorilla
03-27-2005, 06:32 PM
'Round these parts we call Baja's "Ha-Ha's" or "brand B"
As the saying goes.... Friends don't let friends drive Baja's!

jstwkd
03-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I thought customizing was when YOU did the work not ordered...Anyone can pick a pattern or an interior or a stereo...I wanna see you biuld it...Order a bare hull the finish it...then we can talk customizing....other than that they all go down some sort of assembly line.....NO? :hammerhea

DEEZ NUTTS
03-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I thought customizing was when YOU did the work not ordered...Anyone can pick a pattern or an interior or a stereo...I wanna see you biuld it...then talk customizing....other than that they all go down some sort of assembly line.....NO? :hammerhea
Nope. To be west coast custom you order one just like the guy down the street but with a louder stereo and one extra color in the swoop.

Sane Asylum
03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
So tell me about that ride in the 33' or 40' Outlaw........It wasn't impressive, aesthetically or otherwise?? Those are fine boats. They're just not from this side of the U.S..........The 33' Outlaw I tested ran like raped ape s/496HO's. They're engineered well, hulls are wind tunnel tested and they've got a dealer network that's second to none.......Try gettin the west coast custom serviced in Maryland........You can customize the bejeezus out of a Baja..........They are pricey but they price them according to what people are willing to pay, especially on the east coast.
Don't you just love an opinion..........

NashvilleBound
03-27-2005, 07:14 PM
You're in the South East Dorthy :D Mid West TN maybe :D
Thanks for the correction...most of the time i still dont know where I am.... or where I am going for that matter.

skygod73
03-28-2005, 01:41 AM
I've had 3, they are a very solid boat especially in the chop. They are heavy and handle great with the straight hull. The advertised price is misleading cause you can really negotiate a much better price. They also offer a great deal of custom stuff if you order. Don't let the west coast bias on here form your opinion, go to the Baja section on offshoreonly.com or teambajamarine.com to ask owners directly. Most are repeat customers so that should tell you something.

Daytona19
03-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Around here we call them BOHO's, just because anyone that has one thinks 65 mph is REAL FAST. They cry bo-ho when the eliminator goes by like they are standing still. Honestly not a bad looking boat but heavy and custom to them means different stickers, and in the long run quality is just so-so. better than nothing to be on the water with but you will loose your ass when it comes time to say good by to it.

Jbb
03-28-2005, 03:42 AM
I have a Baja Bandit...454/Bravo one......First off....definately not a custom one off boat....But..you have a choice from a few gelcoat patterns...nothing custom by any means....you also get a pretty well built strong...ie heavy boat ..that in most cases is a very dependable, roomy ,comfortable boat...you can add power to them ...I have a friend with a supercharged 26 full cabin boat approcahing the mid 90's...but the return for speed dollars spent isnt that great... and how fast do you want to drive a vee bottom anyway...there are better venues if top speed is your goal....Bottom line ...well built, strong, dependable,...with stock power... roomy,comfortable boats for the average ...er East Coat boater...lol..Think about it...Baja has been around a long, long time....If customers were not happy with there products...they would'nt still be here.. Insurance is typically not a problem either....btw...and for the record I am a West Coast custom boat lover....But I also go to a lot of poker runs here on the East Coast.....and I see alot of Custom Boats .......Being towed back to the dock or marina......and in many cases.....they are being towed back.......by a "cookie cutter" Baja... :D

NashvilleBound
03-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Jbb...I would like to see some pics of your ride... and hopefully I will never be at the "other" end of a rope being towed. Tho, I have towed my share into the marinas.

Jbb
03-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Jbb...I would like to see some pics of your ride... and hopefully I will never be at the "other" end of a rope being towed. Tho, I have towed my share into the marinas.
I can post some when I get home ...Or If you go to my section at RRL....look at the thread...the new ride..pt 2 :D :(
Did I mention I had my own section.... :D :D :D

superdave013
03-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Whats so custom about all the west coast boats. One guy gets the green swoosh and the other guy gets the red flames with billet swim steps. So what, its the same damn boat out of the same mold.
Don't get me started. Allot of these so called "Custom Boats" are just like allot of so called custom choppers. It's an insult to the people that are building true custom stuff.
I can hear it now:
Hey, I just got an -- chopper.
Hey, I have an -- chopper too, what color did you get?
I got emerald green.
Hey, that's cool; I got satin black with a red pin stripe.
Same with boats, I have this gel scheme and picked my stuff out of the Eddie catalog so I’m custom because I didn’t use Dana like some of the other guys.
Cool boat I’m sure but not what I’d call a custom. But hey, it makes the owner feel good and that's what counts I guess.
We do have some good custom shops out here. But there are others all over the US. Beautiful thing isn't it.

superdave013
03-28-2005, 06:24 AM
BTW, I grew up in the mid west. Just about every weekend I got woke up by either a nasty lil Baja or Checkmate with outboard power chine walking past the house. I can still see that rootbeer brown Baja with the Merc tower of power in my mind to this day.

Pointerman
03-28-2005, 08:10 AM
I own an Outlaw 20'. I like my boat very much thank you everyone. It is not as fast as a lot of other boats on the water, but you also get what you pay for. My boat takes some pretty rough water that most other 20 footers would have to slow down for and stick the bow into the sky. That is what I bought this boat for. Got sick of getting soaked and taking a pounding when it gets a little windy or when I need to pass a cruiser.
Bajas can be customized quite a bit. They have a custom shop and will do pretty much anything you want to your boat. Most people don't go that route because the boats are very reaonably priced when compared to other offshore hulls and that is why people purchase them. All you folks bagging on the Bajas speed capabilities need to understand what these boats are built for. They are built for safety and comfort. No steps in the hulls and deep Vs to handle the rough stuff.

ECeptor
03-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I believe they are owned by Brunswick...? The same company that owns Bayliner. :supp:
yep...and Mercury Marine and many others:
"Mercury Marine is a division of Brunswick Corporation. Headquartered in Lake Forest, Ill., Brunswick Corporation endeavors to instill “Genuine Ingenuity” in all its leading consumer brands, including Mercury and Mariner outboard engines; Mercury MerCruiser sterndrives and inboard engines; MotorGuide trolling motors; Teignbridge propellers; MotoTron electronic controls; Northstar marine electronics; Navman GPS-based products; IDS dealer management systems; Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxum, Hatteras, Meridian, Sealine, Bermuda, Ornvik, Quicksilver, Savage and Uttern pleasure boats; Baja high-performance boats; Arvor, Boston Whaler, Palmetto, Sea Boss, Sea Pro and Trophy offshore fishing boats; Crestliner, Lowe, Lund and Princecraft aluminum fishing, deck and pontoon boats; Attwood marine parts and accessories; Land ‘N’ Sea marine parts and accessories distributor; Life Fitness, Hammer Strength and ParaBody fitness equipment; Brunswick bowling centers, equipment and consumer products; Brunswick billiards tables; and Valley-Dynamo pool, Air Hockey and foosball tables."

Chase
03-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Dean, buy what you can afford, buy what YOU like.., and don't worry about what others have to say about your boat...in my opinion it doesn't matter what you are floating, we are all boaters and should love what we are doing....BOATING

gnarley
03-28-2005, 10:03 AM
That is what makes them custom, the ability to change what you dont like and add what you do...
Baja Salesmen, So you want one in red stickers or blue stickers, Hey buddy how about both, HAHAHAHAHAHA....
You cant customize a baja... im sorry, would you like a toilet also how about an upgrade to a C/D thingie.......... :D :D :D
So what happens when you want a single color hull laid up in the same mold as a few hundred other hulls and everything on it is also available off the shelf? Is that still a custom?
What do you call a production hull with custom paint or gel work with non-factory add-on’s?
Granted many or most production boats aren't built with the quality of the smaller builders, but wouldn't the term custom be defined as something customized also meaning it may have been customized after it was originally built?
I bet most members here have a customized boat meaning it is now a custom and no longer the same boat as originally delivered.
Maybe there should be a distinction between generically produced boats and those built by craftsmen.
IMHO you can customize anything, but would you want to?

Roxysnow
03-28-2005, 10:11 AM
PM GHTRIM. I think he had one before he bought Ken's boat!

Kilrtoy
03-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Don't get me started. Allot of these so called "Custom Boats" are just like allot of so called custom choppers. It's an insult to the people that are building true custom stuff.
I can hear it now:
Hey, I just got an -- chopper.
Hey, I have an -- chopper too, what color did you get?
I got emerald green.
Hey, that's cool; I got satin black with a red pin stripe.
Same with boats, I have this gel scheme and picked my stuff out of the Eddie catalog so I’m custom because I didn’t use Dana like some of the other guys.
Cool boat I’m sure but not what I’d call a custom. But hey, it makes the owner feel good and that's what counts I guess.
We do have some good custom shops out here. But there are others all over the US. Beautiful thing isn't it.
Interesting, It was once on a production line, whether a big one or small one, still on a production line, whether you pay someone or do it yourself, its still custom....
Walking into a show room and driving off with the blue instead of the red pinstripes, is not custom.....

Trigger
03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting, It was once on a production line, whether a big one or small one, still on a production line, whether you pay someone or do it yourself, its still custom....
Walking into a show room and driving off with the blue instead of the red pinstripes, is not custom.....
What I don't think you understand is that Baja has a custom shop. You can order a Baja with your choice of graphics if you like (pick your own designs, whatever) and they will do that, if you want a bathroom put on it they will, etc... Or you can just go into a dealership and buy one off the floor at a big savings. To me it is good marketing. They can hit both sides of the purchasing market, the ones on a limitied budget that can't afford too much custom and those that can and pay for Baja to do it at the factory. How is this a bad thing? Bang for the buck.

Pointerman
03-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Heres a link to their custom shop page.
http://www.bajamarine.com/index.asp?display=customshop&tab=0&

Goodtime$
03-28-2005, 12:23 PM
I have to side with Kilrtoy that everything is some what production. Boats just dont fall out of the sky without a mold or gel coat etc, and than we rigg them in a barn. NO
Some boats have MORE CUSTOM features than others, to call them a totally custom boat. thats close.
Eliminator has over 26 dealers, Baja probably has 1million. To debate custom over production levels will go on forever.
DCB has tons of custom features, along with Hallett, and all the others. If you are looking for a more production level CUSTOM BOAT. i think a lot of us here would side with NORDIC, best of luck. Bajas are nice, the outlaw series seems the best imo. CHEERS
its your money, fuk ive seen nice bayliners, as long as its payed off than who cares...just no sea doo boats K

gnarley
03-28-2005, 12:28 PM
So if the manufacture built a boat like this and you found it in a show room would you call it a custom though they built it on their assembly line???
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111post-2-30441-kilrtoy-med.jpg
I remember years ago you could special order lots of different packages on cars built on the assembly line like L-88 or ZL1 etc. They were special options but not custom, though they were different and rare. The cars with those options shared the same body or chassis as other production cars.
If your boat has a special hull and it is only shared by a few others or a hand built one off engine and drive package it might be a custom IMHO but if the same mold is used to produce other boats for sale and stock factory assembled engines it is no different than the production cars built on an assembly line, it is still a production boat.

franky
03-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Having just writtten " I will not boat bash any more" a 100 times on the black board (following the Cheetah boat crash thread), I have just this to say, buy what you like but know what your buying.
Go bang on the sides of brand x and then bang on brand y and check out the difference. Know that quality costs money and the limitations of what you get and what you can afford.
Any boat is a good boat if it get's you on the water safely. The rest is all you. Go talk to someone at a reputable fiberglass repair shop, they see first hand how they hold up.

Back Forty
03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Baja, right here in Ohio... I can only say a few things about Baja from an unbias opinion and then I'll say some things from a bias opinion.
Unbiased.
Good boat for somebody who wants a "sporty" looking boat. Lot's of cup holders and will pass as a "high dollar" boat to the average person or boater.
Mass produced, wood screw (non through bolt) everywhere.
Layup... I wouldn't know but I have never heard of delamination problems and living in Ohio I know many people pushing these things kind'a hard. HOWEVER... If you know Allan4 he can tell you about stringer "ripouts" and that it seems to be common when you run one hard in the rough stuff. The stringers do not continue to the transom at least in the older Outlaws. Just a bulkhead forward of the little tiny engine stringers. The main stringers are forward of that. This is where the stringers come loose. Allan4 is running a warm 502 with dyno results somewhere over 600hp. .
Rigging is very half ass like most of the mass production boats. I have personally seen some things that make me think very low of the Baja product.
It is a "Boat" and will act like a boat. If you want a "boat" Then a Baja will be just fine for you.
Bias'd opinion.
Baja's are low quality shit heaps. If you're into boating from a "high quality" standpoint then Baja is not for you. You can't go to the factory and demand perfect rigging, one off items or anything else. At best you can order from their options list but thats about it. If you pulled up to even a mild custom like you'll find on these boards or several others you'll feel somewhat ashamed of your high speed cup holder boat. Baja is suckering people every day with the crap they put out. Compare pricing to a "custom" versus the Baja line up and ask yourself what the hell you'll be paying for..? The pricing will be cheaper of course but not by much considering the heap you'll get from the Baja factory. It's like buying a surf board from the local storefront "Ron Jon" or ordering a custom from G&S built to your perfection. No comparison period. The Baja prices are set to bring the average boater into the high end boat market while undercutting the "custom" shops. I am still amazed at the crap Baja "sells" people on.
Conclusion
Some people demand a boat that drips perfection and others could care less if the boat drips or not... It just needs to be a boat. Look at your average used Baja and take note of how the owner has taken care of the boat. Take a look at a used custom boat and note the average condition. Then decide who you are most like, make a choice and have fun. I think thats what it's all about in the end.

KACHINA KEN
03-28-2005, 01:00 PM
So tell me about that ride in the 33' or 40' Outlaw........It wasn't impressive, aesthetically or otherwise?? Those are fine boats. They're just not from this side of the U.S..........The 33' Outlaw I tested ran like raped ape s/496HO's. They're engineered well, hulls are wind tunnel tested and they've got a dealer network that's second to none.......Try gettin the west coast custom serviced in Maryland........You can customize the bejeezus out of a Baja..........They are pricey but they price them according to what people are willing to pay, especially on the east coast.
Don't you just love an opinion..........
Please re-read my post.

Back Forty
03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Baja, right here in Ohio... I can only say a few things about Baja from an unbias opinion and then I'll say some things from a bias opinion.
Unbiased.
Good boat for somebody who wants a "sporty" looking boat. Lot's of cup holders and will pass as a "high dollar" boat to the average person or boater.
Mass produced, wood screw (non through bolt) everywhere.
Layup... I wouldn't know but I have never heard of delamination problems and living in Ohio I know many people pushing these things kind'a hard. HOWEVER... If you know Allan4 he can tell you about stringer "ripouts" and that it seems to be common when you run one hard in the rough stuff. The stringers do not continue to the transom at least in the older Outlaws. Just a bulkhead forward of the little tiny engine stringers. The main stringers are forward of that. This is where the stringers come loose. Allan4 is running a warm 502 with dyno results somewhere over 600hp. .
Rigging is very half ass like most of the mass production boats. I have personally seen some things that make me think very low of the Baja product.
It is a "Boat" and will act like a boat. If you want a "boat" Then a Baja will be just fine for you.
Bias'd opinion.
Baja's are low quality shit heaps. If you're into boating from a "high quality" standpoint then Baja is not for you. You can't go to the factory and demand perfect rigging, one off items or anything else. At best you can order from their options list but thats about it. If you pulled up to even a mild custom like you'll find on these boards or several others you'll feel somewhat ashamed of your high speed cup holder boat. Baja is suckering people every day with the crap they put out. Compare pricing to a "custom" versus the Baja line up and ask yourself what the hell you'll be paying for..? The pricing will be cheaper of course but not by much considering the heap you'll get from the Baja factory. It's like buying a surf board from the local storefront "Ron Jon" or ordering a custom from G&S built to your perfection. No comparison period. The Baja prices are set to bring the average boater into the high end boat market while undercutting the "custom" shops. I am still amazed at the crap Baja "sells" people on.
Conclusion
Some people demand a boat that drips perfection and others could care less if the boat drips or not... It just needs to be a boat. Look at your average used Baja and take note of how the owner has taken care of the boat. Take a look at a used custom boat and note the average condition. Then decide who you are most like, make a choice and have fun. I think thats what it's all about in the end.
EDIT: Ok so there's a custom shop. Another thing. My experience is only with the Outlaw.

superdave013
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Kilr, I never said you have to do the work yourself. But to me it needs to be different then the others. Changing colors and a little bought billet does not make something custom to me. This is not a slam to DCB. I love the stuff they do. But your hull is just like the one before it and the one after it other then color.
Just one of the things that makes me feel my boat is a "custom" is the fact that I had it fliped up side down and did allot of bottom work to it. Don over at Pat's Fiberglass not only straightend and sharpend the chines but also put some rocker in the bottom. My hull is not like a production 20' Schiada because I had it customised to my spec.
I made most of the hardware and designed all of the turbo system. But I didn't make every part. Schiada96 made a custom prop strut and fin for me. Prime Marine made a one off shaft log. Those are still custom parts because you won't find one sitting on the shelf that's for sure.
I did buy some thru hull dumps from Rex. As soon as I opend the box I chucked them in a lathe and changed them so they won't look like the other guys.
That's what custom is to me. I'm sure it means something totaly different to someone else. But hey, that's what makes it so great!

superdave013
03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Now here is a custom boat. Done by GT Marine.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72452

NashvilleBound
03-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Now here is a custom boat. Done by GT Marine.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72452
Damn!! 1500 HP....thats nuts!

Goodtime$
03-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Superdave...I am the biggest fan of Schiadas and there is no comparison even in this conversation. Every piece is perfect and a one off, even more so with anything with no mercury parts to it. Congrats on the 20ski, im still looking but we will see what pans out. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my lady thinks they are the ugliest things ever, i just laugh to myself.
Now that we have all bashed and loved Bajas, they do what they do best. Entry level production level Boats, read about them in ***boat and Powerboat, boating, trailer boats etc. They bring offshore excitement country wide. They are no cigarette nor do they compete with them.
They move #s and move them well.
Lastly, looking for something a little more custom touch, than take a look at a Nordic. I know no one here will bash that idea. Its your money, get what you love. Dont listen to the custom yayo opinions, i have a pic of a custom painted bayliner, dont push me to post it. Have fun and summer is coming, so get ready.......CHEERS

NashvilleBound
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
....... i have a pic of a custom painted bayliner, dont push me to post it. Have fun and summer is coming, so get ready.......CHEERS
I double dare you.....

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
I did buy some thru hull dumps from Rex. As soon as I opend the box I chucked them in a lathe and changed them so they won't look like the other guys.
That's neat. I went the other way. I tried to make my CVX look as stock as possible given some of the changes I wanted to make. I added a pad, straightened the bottom, sharpened the chines, etc... My paint scheme isn't stock but I'll bet most people assume it is... and that's what I wanted. It's just a plain old Carlson CVX-16... like everyone had when they were kids. You know, 40 mph and goes all day on a tank full of gas. Well, I actually only get about 25 minutes. :D
I guess I like the sleeper thing. :)

superdave013
03-28-2005, 02:12 PM
I double dare you.....
heck, I'd love to see it too.
Sorry to high jack the thread (not) and Goodtimes is right. Get and do what makes YOU happy. Some of the best times on the water for me was in a 14' Starcraft.
Man, I can still see that 17' Baja with the tower of power going by in the back of my mind.

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Some of the best times on the water for me was in a 14' Starcraft.
Ditto. Holiday 14/Evinrude 70. :cool:

GHTRIM
03-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Just sold my Baja 252 (cuddy) had a 454 efi and my wife and I loved it.... Very dependable and rode great. Just not as good as the new 30' Kachina :D :D . Thumbs up for Baja......

Chase
03-28-2005, 02:23 PM
CAMPION RULES!!!!! :D :D :D
And that is my final answer...

gnarley
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
i have a pic of a custom painted bayliner, dont push me to post it.
I double Dog dare you

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
CAMPION RULES!!!!! :D :D :D
I was extremely impressed with them when I toured their Kelowna facility two years ago. They are definitely trying hard to build a good quality boat.
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/campionFloor.jpg

Chase
03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the back up Mr. Brown. I toured the plant as well and........well I am not going to make any comparisons to other manufacturers (production boat builders)....I have already expressed my feelings.
Go to the website for a look (http://www.campionboats.com)

Jbb
03-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Baja...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF000996.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF001096.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF000696.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF000596.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF000296.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF000196.JPG
custom...lol

NashvilleBound
03-28-2005, 03:03 PM
See....That is a VERY nice baja. I like them...its just not what I am after. What part of the country are you in???

Jbb
03-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Atlanta :boxed:

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 03:07 PM
See....That is a VERY nice baja.
Agreed. :cool:
Hey Brian, what was the deal on that twin Arenson drive boat you posted pictures of a few months ago? I asked you if it was a new toy for you but you didn't respond.

Jbb
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Agreed. :cool:
Hey Brian, what was the deal on that twin Arenson drive boat you posted pictures of a few months ago? I asked you if it was a new toy for you but you didn't respond.
NO COMMENT.... :D

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 03:10 PM
NO COMMENT.... :D
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. :D