PDA

View Full Version : what are stringers?

dean51267
03-27-2005, 05:37 PM
i know, I should know this, but I do not, so someone tell me, hell you guys are all in california, you will never be able to tell anyone how ignorant I am, I can ask all the dumb questions here...............

Tom Brown
03-27-2005, 05:38 PM
A stringer is a guy who makes up some line of bullshit just to screw with some new guy who comes on asking questions. The new guy who believes it is the stringee.

hoolign
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
When you jerk off it's the semen that is till attached to your unit!

Tom Brown
03-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey Hoolign, why do you think we get so many PMs telling us what ungracious jerks we are? :confused:

dean51267
03-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey Hoolign, why do you think we get so many PMs telling us what ungracious jerks we are? :confused:
Must be something in the water or something

Tom Brown
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Dean, a stringer is a structural hull element that gives the bottom of the hull it's strength. If you have a floor, they will be below the floor and out of sight but they are key to hull strength and if you have an inboard engine, they will be exposed in the bilge and the engine will be mounted to them.
This link has a picture that will show you how stringers might be arranged in a hull. (http://www.tritonboats.com/about_triton/)

moneypit
03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
A stringer were women brought to the united states in the 1950's soley for the purpose of running fishing lines through their mans rods. Not to be confused with the term "nutters". These were women who were also brought to the US and used to apply the bait to the hook. The bait often being called "the nut". :D :D

hoolign
03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
I was figuring they were wrong numbers :confused:

jlnorthrup122
03-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Dean, a stringer is a structural hull element that gives the bottom of the hull it's strength. If you have a floor, they will be below the floor and out of sight but they are key to hull strength and if you have an inboard engine, they will be exposed in the bilge and the engine will be mounted to them.
Tom brown is rite the boats stringers can be compared to the human spine so to speak the stringers run from stem (front) to stern (rear). the bulkheads usually attach to and are located on the stringers.

hoolign
03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
This link has a picture that will show you how stringers might be arranged in a hull. (http://www.tritonboats.com/about_triton/)
and just clarify..they dont usually have semen on them...hope that helps!

dean51267
03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Why is is big deal if they have been replaced?
I keep seeing ads that say they have been replaced, looking at the pic you sent it looks like major surgery to replace them..............

Tom Brown
03-27-2005, 05:50 PM
and just clarify..they dont usually have semen on them...
... just the offshore ones.

Tom Brown
03-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Why is is big deal if they have been replaced?
I keep seeing ads that say they have been replaced, looking at the pic you sent it looks like major surgery to replace them..............
... because they used to be made out of wood exclusively but recently it has become somewhat common for them to be made out of composite materials. It tends to stay wet under there unless you are really careful so after a few years, they will get soft and rotten. I've seen them completely gone and I've seen them with about the consistency of greep soup and smelly as hell.
I've done a couple of stringer replacements. It's a ton of work... A TON OF WORK... and it can go to crap in a few short years if they aren't kept dry. That's why I cut a couple of holes in the floor under the bow and mounted a couple of small box fans. Also, I removed the factory flotation that had petrified long ago. Unless it's PVC closed cell foam, it will just retain water, rot, and hold moisture against the stringers.
Personally, I'd be cautious about the quality of someone's stringer replacement job. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a boat with replaced stringers, just that I would look the work over as best as I could and try to determine how sharp the seller is with fiberglass work.