PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Livorsi Controls

vegasriverjunkie
03-28-2005, 07:55 AM
I have a Livorsi offshore controls that is stuck in forward drive. It's jammed and I can't seem to get it back into nuetral and reverse. Anybody know a solution to get it back on track?

phebus
03-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Don't force it, you will just stretch the cable and possibly break something.
Try having someone turn the prop while you try to take it out of gear (for safety, activate kill switch). The other option would be to disable the neutral safety switch, start it in gear (hooked up to water), and shift out.

vegasriverjunkie
03-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Which way should I spin the prop, counter clockwise or clockwise?

phebus
03-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I really don't know if it matters, but since it's stuck in forward, I would spin the prop in the forward direction, as if the boat was driven. That could be clockwise or counter clockwise depending if it is a right or left hand drive. Most likely right hand, so spin it clockwise.
Did this happen because the boat was shut off with the drive in gear, and now you can't get it out? That is the scenario I'm working under, and is a common one.
If the boat was being driven , and while running, you couldn't shift out of forward, different problem alltogether.

phebus
03-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Take a look at this thread......
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71535&highlight=gear+stuck

vegasriverjunkie
03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Yea the boat engine stopped on the water when I had just picked up someone from the dock. On these controls there is no nuetral lock. I thought had shift it to nuetral and when I started the boat I tried to rev it a little then it kick hard going forward meaning it was still in forward. The boat was still running so I just cruise past the bouys and headed toward the channel. It wasn't untill I tried to go to nuetral is when I found out it was stuck in forward. The steering is to the right so I'll try to spin it clockwise.

phebus
03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
So, did you ever get it out of gear?

vegasriverjunkie
03-30-2005, 10:07 PM
nope, I even used a strap wrench to spin it and it wouldn't budge. I talked to Offshore here in Vegas but they can't even look at my boat till April 18 :( . I would attempt it myself but I have so much work right now I might as well catch up while I can.

rpm2
04-09-2005, 05:44 AM
If you can't get it in neutral with the engine running, the problem is in the drive. Based on your description of events, the clutch is stuck in the bottom of the forward gear.....$$$$$ new gear set.
Don't force the handle. You will have to pull the top and back covers off the drive and remove the shifting mechanism to release the cable in order to get the drive off. The shift cable will be junk. Make sure that whoever does this and installs the new cable goes through the proper setup procedure.
Good Luck