PDA

View Full Version : Bildge pump wiring

Danhercules
03-29-2005, 05:25 PM
I have a bildge pump, and a seprate float. The way it was wired in my boat is the you could turn on the pump from the switch on the dash,OR the float would kick it on.
The pump has 2 wires, the wire loom has 2 wires (goin up to the switch) and the float has two wires. Any one have a clue how it gets hooked up?

Havasu Hangin'
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
The bilge pump should have a positive and negative (ground the negative). The positive should go to one side of the float, and the "up" pole on the dash switch.
The other wire on the float should go to the "down" pole on the dash switch.
The dash switch should have 12+ volts (fused) constant.
If the dash switch is in the "up" position, the pump kicks on.
If the dash switch is in the "down" position, the pump will come on if the float rises.

OkieDave
03-30-2005, 07:52 AM
you need a switch with two "ons" and an "off".
that way you can set the switch in automatic mode or "manual on" mode. in the automatic mode, the float switch will activate the pump and if the float ever sticks on, due to debris or something, you can still cut off the pump.

Havasu Hangin'
03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
you need a switch with two "ons" and an "off".
that way you can set the switch in automatic mode or "manual on" mode. in the automatic mode, the float switch will activate the pump and if the float ever sticks on, due to debris or something, you can still cut off the pump.
Yes. I forgot to add that you need a three position switch (center is "off").
If you don't use a three position switch, you can just wire the float to the 12+ constant on the bilge pump ("on/off") dash switch- that way it is fused, but is constantly "on" in case your boat takes on water.

Danhercules
03-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Ok, now I am confused. Its not hard to get me that way. LOL
I have a 2 position switch. On/Off.

Taylor LP
03-30-2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3589bilge.jpg
You need a single pole double throw center off switch. (SPDT-CTR OFF)
Make sure you use the fuse rating specified by the pump mfr.

Danhercules
03-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Somthin aint right. The way it was before, was a 2 position switch. The pump worked by switch, or by float. The drawing show I need a 3 position switch, right?

Taylor LP
03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
If you want to be able to fully control your system you need a three position switch.
If you don't care about that, and want to do it the simplest way possible just connect one wire from the float to battery positive (thru a fuse), and the other float wire to the positive side of the pump.
Should the float stick or fail you have no option to turn the pump off, and could wind up with a run down battery. I want to be able to turn the system off when the boat is not on the water.
It's not really that much more complicated. You are only looking at replacing the switch and running one new wire from the dash to the float.