PDA

View Full Version : noise laws...

DUNDUN
03-29-2005, 05:47 PM
theyve been around for a long time right? is it just me and my uninformed 16 year old self, or is it tougher to have a high performance boat on the water without being bothered by the police these days as opposed to say, 5 years ago? im not an expert on the subject by any means, im just trying to learn more about it so i dont make an ass out of myself. haha... :confused:

DUNDUN
03-29-2005, 06:08 PM
yeah uhhh..bump?

Moneypitt
03-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Kid, it seems that we all suffer for the sins of a few. The hot boating sceen has changed over the years, and once again, it is because of the actions of a very small percentage of ***boaters. All it takes is one jerk making a loud pass at 6AM, or earlier, to piss off the wrong person, (like the judge at Needles). The noise laws are being enforced because the areas that we choose to play in are rapidly filling up with people other than ***boaters that don't want to hear that beautiful screaming sound a ***boat makes as it nears peak RPM. Kinda like buying a house next to an airport, and complaining about the planes making noise. The haters are organized, we are not. We all saw this crap coming our way and didn't do anything to stop it. Sure we complained about it, but everybody figured someone else would write the necessary letters, send the emails,ETC ETC. Well now its here, new Motorcycles are allowed more noise than 30 year old boats........Because the biking public reacted, "Loud pipes save lives", and the right people listened. I try to push the "loud boats save lives" idea here, and just get BS responses. So, yes the days of being able to enjoy our loud boats are coming to an end......When loud boats are outlawed,(which they have been) then only outlaws will have loud boats............MP

Bling Bling
03-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Kid, it seems that we all suffer for the sins of a few. The hot boating sceen has changed over the years, and once again, it is because of the actions of a very small percentage of ***boaters. All it takes is one jerk making a loud pass at 6AM, or earlier, to piss off the wrong person, (like the judge at Needles). The noise laws are being enforced because the areas that we choose to play in are rapidly filling up with people other than ***boaters that don't want to hear that beautiful screaming sound a ***boat makes as it nears peak RPM. Kinda like buying a house next to an airport, and complaining about the planes making noise. The haters are organized, we are not. We all saw this crap coming our way and didn't do anything to stop it. Sure we complained about it, but everybody figured someone else would write the necessary letters, send the emails,ETC ETC. Well now its here, new Motorcycles are allowed more noise than 30 year old boats........Because the biking public reacted, "Loud pipes save lives", and the right people listened. I try to push the "loud boats save lives" idea here, and just get BS responses. So, yes the days of being able to enjoy our loud boats are coming to an end......When loud boats are outlawed,(which they have been) then only outlaws will have loud boats............MP
Well said MP, Fock em, stay an outlaw!!!

DUNDUN
03-29-2005, 10:38 PM
i concur.

Not So Fast
03-30-2005, 07:08 AM
And to add a little salt to your wound, the type of boat in your avatar is the most obvious to be cited (OverTransom) because it's right in the le's face. sad but true! NSF

Moneypitt
03-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Just a side note about the enforcement of the noise laws as they purtain to "***boats". Boat cop has said, and I think it applies, that if a boat owner has made an honest attempt to comply(and still fails) with the law, running water through the exhaust and using baffles in the headers, then chances are unless you really ask for one, a ticket will not be issued. A warning, yes. Purhaps a suggestion you try something else before you return to the lake/river etc. etc. The enforcers are not ass&#%$s, but if you push, they'll push back. The best thing I can suggest is that you pick and choose the times and places you take your boat. I will play musical baffles, switching them from boat to boat........And my boats will not pass the tests..............MP

DUNDUN
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Just a side note about the enforcement of the noise laws as they purtain to "***boats". Boat cop has said, and I think it applies, that if a boat owner has made an honest attempt to comply(and still fails) with the law, running water through the exhaust and using baffles in the headers, then chances are unless you really ask for one, a ticket will not be issued. A warning, yes. Purhaps a suggestion you try something else before you return to the lake/river etc. etc. The enforcers are not ass&#%$s, but if you push, they'll push back. The best thing I can suggest is that you pick and choose the times and places you take your boat. I will play musical baffles, switching them from boat to boat........And my boats will not pass the tests..............MP
we are currently running water AND baffles. but if we do get stopped with them, and the officer sees that we are attempting to comply, they mostlikely will not issue a ticket huh? that would be kind of nice. also, we are thinking about running over transom exhaust manifolds, depending how it runs with them, will they still bother us even though they are manifolds? my dad said that they may not care, if its over transom, its a no-no. i dont know though.

Moneypitt
03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
When it comes to the noise police, nothing is for sure. But I believe what boat cop has said "he would do", and that would be a warning if in fact the owner had made an honest attempt to comply. There will always be exceptions, but if you make the effort, I would think a warning would come before a ticket.........Just MY opinion...........MP

Oldsquirt
03-30-2005, 06:40 PM
.......my dad said that they may not care, if its over transom, its a no-no. i dont know though.
The law states the legal limit, in decibels, for exhaust noise level. It doesn't specifically ban over transom headers. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a suitable muffling solution for this this type of setup at this time. Log manifolds with OT pipes(I assume that's the option you were referring to) aren't much quieter than headers, and would not likely bring you under the limit.
Some jurisdictions seem to be saying they will only issue warnings in 2005, but I bet you only get one........then it's citation time.
Private lakes can institute their own, more restrictive rules. Perhaps that's what your dad was referring to? I know of a few lakes that fit this description. Most cater to the ski-boat crowd. Some restrict the actual makes and models of boats allowed.