PDA

View Full Version : I know it's expensive but it will save your ass.

KACHINA KEN
03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=12387&subdeptNum=106&storeNum=8&productId=221657
I am getting 6 of these for my new 34' Kachina, I will be doing alot of offshore stuff and SCOPE stuff so it seems like a natural choice. I know they arent attractive but I want all my crew to live in the event of a stuff, crash or ditch. These are great for doing your runs up the river to the sandbar or out on a run to catalina where you can get into some big stuff. They dont take up much space as they stay uninflated until you splash in the water, they are supposed to turn you "face to sky' if you are knocked unconcious and even if you get them in black they inflate in bright yellow. i guess they are also real easy to repack in the event of an accidental inflation. Take it for what its worth, I just know that a big reason people dont wear there PFD's is because they restrict their movement.

Phat Matt
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=12387&subdeptNum=106&storeNum=8&productId=221657
I am getting 6 of these for my new 34' Kachina, I will be doing alot of offshore stuff and SCOPE stuff so it seems like a natural choice. I know they arent attractive but I want all my crew to live in the event of a stuff, crash or ditch. These are great for doing your runs up the river to the sandbar or out on a run to catalina where you can get into some big stuff. They dont take up much space as they stay uninflated until you splash in the water, they are supposed to turn you "face to sky' if you are knocked unconcious and even if you get them in black they inflate in bright yellow. i guess they are also real easy to repack in the event of an accidental inflation. Take it for what its worth, I just know that a big reason people dont wear there PFD's is because they restrict their movement.
$200! Damn, can I just borrow yours? :wink:

Sleek-Jet
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
200.00 ain't bad... aren't the poker run Lifeline's around 500.00 a piece??
Might look into a couple for the boat this spring... thanks Ken...

Garrddogg
03-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Them are pretty nifty gonna have to pick up a couple!!

Magic34
03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
[url]. i guess they are also real easy to repack in the event of an accidental inflation.
Watch your back.... They might "accidentally" inflate a lot. :D

KACHINA KEN
03-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Watch your back.... They might "accidentally" inflate a lot. :DOnly if you throw water on me :idea:

Sleek-Jet
03-29-2005, 11:47 PM
So do they have to be submerged to inflate, or how much water does it take to get them to go off??? :confused:

Magic34
03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Only if you throw water on me :idea:
Forget running the boat in the poker run... I'll be in the helicopter with a water gun.

superdave013
03-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Those might work if your boat sinks. If you crash at any speed I would think they will come right off. I don't see leg straps on those and they sure won't help you out with any impact.
If you are going to go fast get a real jacket.

PHX ATC
03-30-2005, 06:00 AM
It's a Kachina. :D :D :D
Just kidding Ken.... :D

jdogginla
03-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Them are pretty nifty gonna have to pick up a couple!!
Ahhhhh the only great big blue u need to be thinking about is that bad a$$ blue thing under the hatch! YOU are not allowed to be in the big blue pacific. Doooah!@!%^$ :hammer2:

Havasu Hangin'
03-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Those might work if your boat sinks. If you crash at any speed I would think they will come right off. I don't see leg straps on those and they sure won't help you out with any impact.
I agree...get some Lifelines. Those are great for sailboats, but probably won't help much if you get outta the boat in a hurry.

GHTRIM
03-30-2005, 07:03 AM
As discussed earlier in the thread... How much water does it take before they inflate? Next thing is they seem much less restrictive than a normal / regular vest, which is nice. I bought 6 neaprean (sp) vest for $130 ea and I am guilty of not wearing these while under power. The vests Ken is letting us know about is a SH1T load more protection (less restrictive) than not wearing one at all (which is what everyone I've seen at Hava doing). Thanks for the info. Ken I'll be looking in to getting a couple myself. Will it give my wife tan lines????? :D :D :D

KACHINA KEN
03-30-2005, 07:13 AM
This one is for Magic34
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=66451&catalogId=10001&classNum=12387&subdeptNum=106&storeNum=8

OGShocker
03-30-2005, 07:17 AM
:hammerhea This one is for Magic34
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=66451&catalogId=10001&classNum=12387&subdeptNum=106&storeNum=8 :hammerhea
:D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
03-30-2005, 07:24 AM
I got mine with the harness... it is good to use the front D ring to hook to the lanyard. I don't really need them now for the Ultra, but I'm keeping em in case I get back into an offshore type boat.

prosthogod
03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Ken isn't it great that you can come on this site with a very positive, admirable post and get berated by a bunch of idiots.

LakeRacer
03-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Don't just wear them offshore either. Wear them all of the time you're under power at any lake.

superdave013
03-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Ken isn't it great that you can come on this site with a very positive, admirable post and get berated by a bunch of idiots.
I hope that was not directed at me as that was not my intent. I've crashed a few boats before.

Havasu Hangin'
03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
You have to remember...those jackets are activated by a pill that dissolves in water- if any of that gets damaged when your getting out of the boat, they are useless.
Although it is better than nothing (and I commend Ken for that), for a performance boat, a jacket that would hold together in a high-speed impact, and keep you upright if you are unconscious, would probably be a safer choice.
Like I said...lots of "offshore" sailboat and fishing guys wear those...but I'm not sure those boats go as fast as Ken's.
If I am an "idiot" for trying to help...I'll take that title gladly.

KACHINA KEN
03-30-2005, 08:11 AM
You have to remember...those jackets are activated by a pill that dissolves in water- if any of that gets damaged when your getting out of the boat, they are useless.
Although it is better than nothing (and I commend Ken for that), for a performance boat, a jacket that would hold together in a high-speed impact, and keep you upright if you are unconscious, would probably be a safer choice.
Like I said...lots of "offshore" sailboat and fishing guys wear those...but I'm not sure those boats go as fast as Ken's.
If I am an "idiot" for trying to help...I'll take that title gladly.
Settle down all of you over testoseroned freaks :D
The USCG has certified them as a class V and a class III device but only when worn. If the USCG certifies it then I believe em' the boys know their shit.
Saying that, if you want to modify them so they rack the shit out of you while your being ripped out of your boat at 77 ( thats my top speed HH, not exactly blistering is it ;) ) then i guess you could.

KACHINA KEN
03-30-2005, 08:16 AM
I got mine with the harness... it is good to use the front D ring to hook to the lanyard. I don't really need them now for the Ultra, but I'm keeping em in case I get back into an offshore type boat.
I dunno, I want to make it a habit to wear mine, so comfort is a high priority. I have been pulled over for gettin on it too quickly out of a no wake and the cop said he was pleased to see the 2 kids on board all buttoned down in theirs.

superdave013
03-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Must be good then. I thought you were one of those guys that really hulling ass.
My Lifeline chute jacket is not USCG certified at all!

Havasu Hangin'
03-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Settle down all of you over testoseroned freaks :D
The USCG has certified them as a class V and a class III device but only when worn. If the USCG certifies it then I believe em' the boys know their shit.
Although I dearly love and respect the Coast Guard, they classify the vests based on flotation capability, and not necessarily impact resistance.
Once again, nothing against the Coast Guard, but I don't think Lifelines are even Coast Guard approved.
Like I said, those are better than nothing, though.