PDA

View Full Version : C & H hydro Question

moneysucker
03-29-2005, 11:27 PM
I found a deal on a C&H hydro race lay up and have no info on them. Any info would be helpful as I know damn near nothing about them. I was told it would need a 10 degree v drive. I need to know where to get all the stuff to rig a completely de rigged hydro. Thanks,
Cy

BOAT ANCHOR
03-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Call Pete Flemming (818) 348-4958. He has the molds now and can tell you anything you want to know about a C&H.

pixrthis
03-30-2005, 07:13 AM
I drove one in Comp Hydro that was a good boat. They're not as quick as a 501 with same power but you can win races with them. Pete knows most of the tricks that help will you.
Sean

Kurtis500
03-30-2005, 09:21 AM
I think its a copy of the Kurtis, I almost bought one years ago. If its light, I would drag race it only. I dont think mine would last 5 minute in rough chop without breaking up. Someone even sat on the sponson and put a crack in the top side that I had to fix. You see and feel the flex just coming off the trailer when it starts to float and vice-versa.
You will go FAST in it!

BUSBY
03-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Capaldi & Hicks hull ... Ray Capaldi can give you all of the info you would want to know. I also know where a bare one is if anyone is interested. A friend of mine has it in his shop w/ no use for it. I don't have Ray's contact information though, sorry.
My brother-in-law ran his for the last couple of years w/ NJBA very consistantly, a very lightweight lay up ... fast boats w/ good air traps.
BB

moneysucker
03-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I am thinking that I will get a capsule and build a new motor, Blown Alcohol. It is totally race only. It weighs around 350 or so with no rigging. Lighter than any jet I have owned. I will call pete though, thanks. I need to know basically everything I need to rig this and want to buy the right stuff the first time. I am keeping the jet boat for the river and will be running the lights at ming this season in that. Get a little practice. Get some pix of the other one that is for sale, I may be interested in it too. Is it a 2 seater or 1? I might buy it so I can get some experience in these things before I get into the alcohol deal. That is how I do stuff, Buy it then learn how to drive it. Why not wreck your own stuff vs borrowed. Thanks for the info.

Kurtis500
03-30-2005, 02:25 PM
The one I almost picked up a few years ago (the last Castaic race) was from Capaldi. I talked to him for about 20 minutes about the boat and thier history. I really liked the boat and may have pursued it if the Kurtis didn't come along so conviniently. 350 is light, mine is about 380. Kinda funny how the thing flexes, I'm still not used to it.

BUSBY
03-30-2005, 02:41 PM
If I were you ... I wouldn't put a capsule in it. I would run it in Comp Hydro or Pro Gas Hydro. You will need a heavier hull for the capsule due to the speeds & impacts it will experience. A potato chip hull isn't the best idea for a capsule. Neil Emig has had his Pro Gas hydro running in the low 7 seconds at about 155 mph ... but it's a Kurtis 501 I think ... but you get the idea.
My Brother in Law ran low 8's in PGH @ 135-140 in his C&H ... and all he had was a BBC, 468 w/ dual 850's on race gas w/ a Lenco two speed. His lay up was about 340 lbs. He just sold it or I would have snapped a few pics.
I do have a external steering set up for that hull w/o the rudder that you might be interested in for cheap $$, PM me your e-mail and I can send you some pictures.
Capaldi's son used to run a blown alcohol application in one and ended up dying in it if I remember correctly. They are just too thin for that.
Brian

EXTREMEBOATS
03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
The lightest 18'6" Deaver Hydro Mike built weighed in at 490 lbs. Even that was a scarey view from the drivers seat when the deck flexed. If the bottom of the boat is built right you can go light , but a hundred pounds doesn't hurt a bit when it comes to the integrity of the hull. With today's advanced materials it is possible to build a 400 - 500 lb. hull with the same strength of the 700 - 800 lb. boat of yesterday. If you are looking at an older built boat that has never been rigged I would question the materials used when it was layed up. Not to discredit any boat builders but this just good information to have before the question arises at 140 mph! :eek: Mike

ACCEPTENCE
03-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Call Pete Flemming (818) 348-4958. He has the molds now and can tell you anything you want to know about a C&H.
Interesting!!!

BUSBY
03-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Interesting!!!
I saw that also and though it was pretty interesting.
BB

BUSBY
03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
The lightest 18'6" Deaver Hydro Mike built weighed in at 490 lbs. Even that was a scarey view from the drivers seat when the deck flexed. If the bottom of the boat is built right you can go light , but a hundred pounds doesn't hurt a bit when it comes to the integrity of the hull. With today's advanced materials it is possible to build a 400 - 500 lb. hull with the same strength of the 700 - 800 lb. boat of yesterday. If you are looking at an older built boat that has never been rigged I would question the materials used when it was layed up. Not to discredit any boat builders but this just good information to have before the question arises at 140 mph! :eek: Mike
I agree ... the earlier C&H hulls were potato chip thin ... you could actually get 3 inches of flex by pressing on the sponsons ... REAL LIGHT LAY UPS ... almost scary ... but they kicked some ass.
BB

Sangster
04-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Here's a pic of Neil's 501'...It's for sale on Dragboats.com
Best pass..7.12 @159..
Well the pics didn't work but take a look at dragboats.com

GofastRacer
04-01-2005, 07:30 AM
How's this!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Neil.jpg

coolchange
04-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I drove one in Comp Hydro that was a good boat. They're not as quick as a 501 with same power but you can win races with them. Pete knows most of the tricks that help will you.
Sean
Hey, Shouldn't you be over HERE (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10) ?

moneysucker
04-01-2005, 09:15 AM
When I get the time I will take it down to neil and see what he thinks. His shop is really close to me and I will get the hull weighed so I can know for sure what the weight is.

BUSBY
04-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification ... I remember Capaldi but wasn't sure of the other name. I was also not 100% sur that Tim was driving a C&H or not.
BB

pixrthis
04-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey, Shouldn't you be over HERE (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10) ?
I like all boats and still love V-drives. I don't own one now but I will buy at least one more before I die.
Don Shapen has a C&H with a Watercraft capsule that was raced in BAH. It never did that well due to the 3 push rod Arias that was in it. With good power I think it could of been competitive.

coolchange
04-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I like all boats and still love V-drives. I don't own one now but I will buy at least one more before I die.
Don Shapen has a C&H with a Watercraft capsule that was raced in BAH. It never did that well due to the 3 push rod Arias that was in it. With good power I think it could of been competitive.
Bet your kid gets one before you do!

pixrthis
04-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Bet your kid gets one before you do!
if I'm lucky they'll let me drive it.

EXTREMEBOATS
04-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Tim Capaldi died in a boat called"Mission Possible", but drove A C&H boat called "A Shot In The Dark" :D

rcrchk
03-13-2006, 11:12 PM
C & H hydro is Capaldi & Hindes (spelling)
Capaldi & Hicks hull ... Ray Capaldi can give you all of the info you would want to know. I also know where a bare one is if anyone is interested. A friend of mine has it in his shop w/ no use for it. I don't have Ray's contact information though, sorry.
My brother-in-law ran his for the last couple of years w/ NJBA very consistantly, a very lightweight lay up ... fast boats w/ good air traps.
BB

shirkey4750
03-14-2006, 04:43 AM
I think PE 066's C & H boat has some Capaldi history.

meaniam
03-14-2006, 08:48 AM
funny how the c&h hydro pops up all of a sudden. i was just talking to someone how i bought one in 99 for 1500.00 out of the recycler. never was and still hasnt been ran. never even had a motor bolted to its rails. gave it to my dad when his rayson was stolen. when the police found the boat in 00 he sold or gave it to his buddy in paso robels. talked to him about 3 weeks ago. he said his motor is almost done. ill be waiting for those pics. i was always amazed by the looks of that boat. just opening my garage door to see it was exciting. unfortunatly i lived in apartments so it was never meant to be.
that boat was super light and easy to bounce the boat on trailer around to fit it in the garage. and the solid shaft steering to the rudder i thought was cool.
wasnt the c&h hydro accident at puddingstone and isnt that why they quit building boats?
do they raCE AT PUDDINGSTONE ANYMORE?
ill see if i can find the picture of it being towed by the vet when i first bought it. i dought i will find it.

wizz
03-14-2006, 09:09 PM
funny how the c&h hydro pops up all of a sudden. i was just talking to someone how i bought one in 99 for 1500.00 out of the recycler. never was and still hasnt been ran. never even had a motor bolted to its rails. gave it to my dad when his rayson was stolen. when the police found the boat in 00 he sold or gave it to his buddy in paso robels. talked to him about 3 weeks ago. he said his motor is almost done. ill be waiting for those pics. i was always amazed by the looks of that boat. just opening my garage door to see it was exciting. unfortunatly i lived in apartments so it was never meant to be.
that boat was super light and easy to bounce the boat on trailer around to fit it in the garage. and the solid shaft steering to the rudder i thought was cool.
wasnt the c&h hydro accident at puddingstone and isnt that why they quit building boats?
do they raCE AT PUDDINGSTONE ANYMORE?
ill see if i can find the picture of it being towed by the vet when i first bought it. i dought i will find it.
did ya have fun bouncing it on the trailer in the garage? "Tards" :rolleyes:

Bite the Bullet
03-15-2006, 11:55 AM
C & H hydro is Capaldi & Hindes (spelling)
Tim Capaldi and Art Hendey built the C&H Hydro. It is not a Kurtis splash. Pete Fleming would know all the boat's history.

haulina29
03-16-2006, 05:48 PM
:argue: The C and H hydro was a Kurtis splash and it was splashed by Haskell for Capaldi and Hendey . Hicks now thats a good one :rolleyes: .

Bite the Bullet
03-16-2006, 07:46 PM
:argue: The C and H hydro was a Kurtis splash and it was splashed by Haskell for Capaldi and Hendey . Hicks now thats a good one :rolleyes: .
I recall the Haskell connection, but I thought the bottom was a Brendella. You sound quite a bit more positive than I and you're probably correct. My memory is fading!

finaleffort
03-17-2006, 11:42 AM
It Was Not A Splash Of A Kurtis. The Sponsons Are Totally Differnt. It Have Been A Kurtis They Cut Up And Made All The Changes Too. But The Air Traps Are Differnet Sponsons Are At Differnet Angles. Alot Of Little Changes But Enough Changes That You Can Tell The Differnece.

haulina29
03-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Final Effort I know who and how that boat was made and it was tooled off a Kurtis Nobody ever said they didnt change a few things or that i was a carbon copy of a Kurtis. Half of what is posted on this thread is wrong but if I didnt know I wouldnt post it .

Marty Gras
04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Jamie (Brendell) rented the mold to Timmy, he had George Haskell take out a part. George narrowed the hull and then cut back (out wider) the sponsons.(more air) He then extended the 'feet' on the back of the sponsons. I have sold/ rigged Arlens boats, they don't have that much rocker in the bottom. The molds were stored (after use) at Ultimate Trailers for over 6 months. I saw them, they were the Brendella big rocker, big power hull. Timmy told me he wanted to lower the shaft angles, he didn't like the way the Kurtis hull responded to the low shaft angle, so he was looking at the big rocker to 'pick the boat up'. I wish he (Timmy) were here to tell you what he had in mind. I still miss him.