PDA

View Full Version : Going to Manhatten NY...anything you recommend?

Kurtis500
03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm taking my family to NY this Friday for a week. I've never been anywhere near the place and dont know what to do. We are staying in the theater district across the street from Carnegie Hall. Going to do a concert at Carnegie Hall Tuesday night, a Yankees/Red Sox game on Wednesday, then a Broadway show Wednesday night. Other than that, a full 7 days and nothing planned. We are 2 streets from Central Park, so I'm taking my running shoes. Let me have some suggestions on things to do or recommendations on good food in Manhatten. I want to see the statue, Empire State building, Ground Zero, but I want to avoid the tourist traps. I got 3 young kids too....Ages 2-4-6, then one friend going with us. I'm thinking about things like ice skating at Rockefellar Center and cool stuff like that.
Let me hear some advice.

That Guy
03-30-2005, 09:20 PM
I guess that means Scores is out cause of the kids.... :D Have a great time anyway. NYC rocks......

racecar.hotshoe
03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Dont go!............... :coffeycup :D

MsDrmr
03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Wish I could be of some help, never been myself, my advice...don't plan it all out, let ideas come to you and the family and just have fun with it.

racecar.hotshoe
03-30-2005, 09:27 PM
What is that guy with the big Cig name he lives there he would help ya!..................What was his name. :hammerhea

TCHB
03-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Get a bus pass for the family. You can grab a bus and go anywhere in the city. It is a great place to visit and lots to see.

blown428fe
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Make sure you take a cab ride, thats always an adventure in NYC. :2purples:

SoCalOffshore
03-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Times Square for sure. Great food and great shows. Although, many of the places you mentioned are touriest traps, you have to go anyways to see the stuff. Be sure to take a city tour, maybe Ellis Island, carraige ride in Central Park and the taping of the Today Show and David Letterman. Althoug, doubt you can get tickets for Letterman at this late date. have fun.

Tom Brown
03-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Going to Manhatten NY...anything you recommend?
Body armor.
I haven't been there since the early 90s when I said I'd never go back. We were OK but we saw some scary shit. I think it's better now because they hired a bunch of LEOs but do be careful.

SoCalOffshore
03-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Oh Yeah, go to Macys, it is 11 stories tall and is the largest department store in the world. Be sure to hit up some of the historical sites from the Revolutionary War. You can even take an hour or so train ride into Philly and see Constitution Hall and the Liberty Bell.

IN2-IN2MX
03-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Ray's Pizza...but there is like a million of them so ask the concierge which one is the best. Which show are you watching...just curious. We saw Hairspray there a few months ago and it was awesome. Don't know if they kids would sit through a play though.
Have fun!

RiverN00B
03-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Dont go!............... :coffeycup :D
I agree...I'd rather visit Florida...or go out of the country...but thats just me..

Trigger
03-31-2005, 06:52 AM
What is that guy with the big Cig name he lives there he would help ya!..................What was his name. :hammerhea
Not me. I don't live in NYC. I don't like the City. I live almost 3 hrs North of it in the country. Been there, don't need to go back unless for work meetings.

racecar.hotshoe
03-31-2005, 06:54 AM
Not me. I don't live in NYC. I don't like the City. I live almost 3 hrs North of it in the country. Been there, don't need to go back unless for work meetings.
Havent heard from ya in a while how ya been?.......... :D

Powerquestboy
03-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok close to central park is there is FAO Shwartz which is pretty cool. Directly across from that there is a famous hotel that I forget the name of but on each side of the hotel is 2 great places. 1 is Mickey Mantels looks out over the park great for food and beers. They other is a restraunt called Jennifers that has excellent italian food. Definitly hit Little Italy, they close off the streets on the weekdends sometimes and there are a lot of street venders. Old school bars that are great, some of which are regularly on the sopranos. Not really nice places but definitly old New york style. China town is ok if the family is into to shopping all the street venders for purses ETC. Time square is ok. If you go to Battery park have a boat tour thats pretty cheap and it takes you around and shows you the Brooklynn bridge, takes you past the statue of liberty it was a pretty cool way to see that stuff without wasting too much time. Good luck

Racer277
03-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Ground Zero is a must, also Wall street and the docks were interesting to me.
As was said, cab rides are a must! Really exciting!
Metropolitan museum of art was actually cool, and the guggenheim, depending on if you are with artsy people.
It's an interesting place, don't plan too much, just stay on your toes and notice everything.
Plan to take the subways, they are necessary, and not as bad as you might think.

RiverToysJas
03-31-2005, 08:48 AM
You can visit my favorite bar - the Dakota Roadhouse on Park Place. With luck Lara will be there...
http://www.op6c.com/NewYork_04/images/DSC01067.jpg
RTJas :D

riverracerx
03-31-2005, 08:48 AM
The SoHo Grand has the best $12.00 Margaritas. I have one every time I am in town. Just a cool little bar to hang in.
Take the kids to Toys R Us in Times Square. I think our JoJo Circus display is still up on the jumbotron outside.
Times Square is fun to cruise through. Lots of eats and shops.
Chelsey has some nice little Italian places to eat. Forgot the names?
I have to go back in June for a week.

Mr.Havasu
03-31-2005, 09:05 AM
If you get upstate you can say Hi to my daughter, She is the Sushi chief at Kabooke in Skiniatlis (sp) on the finger lakes. Oh I can almost taste the sushi now :D

NoCal NoBoat
03-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Kurtis:
My in-laws live in Manhattan, and I go back every summer.
With your kids and their ages, I'd recommend the "Museum Mile", especially the Museum of Natural History. You could easily spend the whole day, so budget your time if necessary. Right next to Central Park, so you can duck in
and cool off if you need to. Nice little zoo in Central Park for the kids...
My favorite place to visit is Ellis Island. You get the boat at Battery Park, and get a nice view of the Statue of Liberty on your way to Ellis Island. My great grandmother immigrated through Ellis Island in 1901. It's amazing to walk up the stairs to the "Great Room" with my daughter, and stand where she did over 100 years ago. Even if you don't have a family connection, it's
well worth the visit.
If you're on the Lower East side, Pete's A Place, East 14'th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A is the best pizza place in the world !
It doesn't get any better than Yankees - Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. If you have time, look into taking the "Yankee Clipper" boat up the East River from South Street Seaport. Great scenery from the river, have a couple beers and enjoy ! Beats the hell out of the subway - and, after all, this is a boating forum...

Moe_Havi
03-31-2005, 11:27 AM
guns and rubbers and a map of 42nd St.
Moe

HYPNAUTIC
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
we like the skating in the park instead of rockefellar center. rockefellar center is just to crowded (although we are always there for new years). up for a nice dinner try the resturant at the top of the marriot marquie in times square (the resturant and bar spin). hosre buggy ride though the park (wife likes it). shopping, eating, and sightseeing in SOHO (stands for south of Houston Street). if your wife was a big sex and the city fan there are tours of some of the famed filming locations. lastly, when going to locations like staue of liberty, ellis island, and others pack lightly some still have restrictions about carring oversized bags. have fun !!!

JB in so cal
03-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Put your wallet in your front pocket. :D

Rod-64
03-31-2005, 12:26 PM
If you see Trump tell him he's fired and to buy a comb.

It's Only Money
03-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Stay home. Don't go. I hate the place. Been to many cities in North America and NYC is the worst.