PDA

View Full Version : Are Jet boats Really That Slow?

Dans66Stevens
03-03-2002, 03:11 AM
I was reading the thread about guys with 5 and 600 hp going like 65 mph. I always thought jets were more efficiant than that. Shit I got a V-Drive BBC and I have seen 68 on a gps. The motor is pretty stock? Im not trying to start shit just wondering what the deal is?

Unchained
03-03-2002, 05:23 AM
There's so many variables with both drives that it's incorrect to make blanket statements like "VDrives are always faster"
The guy I bought my 19' cheyenne jetboat from wanted a flatbottom because he told me the jet boat was boring to drive. He went 99mph at the drags with the jet boat, Put the same engine in a sanger flatbottom and went 88mph at the drags. He went slower and had a lot less practical boat,(no reverse, can't put it in gear w/engine running, no back seat, bone jarring rough ride).
Probably most jet boats are pretty slow because the owner doesn't tinker around with his setup to make it faster. They just go to the lake to ski and have fun and the boat serves that purpose just fine. But the guys who know how to set them up run real fast. Like "Risky Business", 133 mph, 7.70 ET carburated on gasoline.
Or "Homework", Wreigt v bottom hull, Olds engine w/single carb, 92 mph.
Or this boat from ARS Marine. 8.11 ET at 119 mph http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/ARSMarine.jpg Is this boat aired out or what?
[This message has been edited by Unchained (edited March 03, 2002).]

Dans66Stevens
03-03-2002, 08:02 AM
Yeah I geuss my Qeustion should have been maybe if the same motor was in a jet and then a v-drive. What is faster? But I know that there are still varibles.

Johnwithjm
03-03-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Unchained:
There's so many variables with both drives that it's incorrect to make blanket statements like "VDrives are always faster"
The guy I bought my 19' cheyenne jetboat from wanted a flatbottom because he told me the jet boat was boring to drive. He went 99mph at the drags with the jet boat, Put the same engine in a sanger flatbottom and went 88mph at the drags. He went slower and had a lot less practical boat,(no reverse, can't put it in gear w/engine running, no back seat, bone jarring rough ride).
Probably most jet boats are pretty slow because the owner doesn't tinker around with his setup to make it faster. They just go to the lake to ski and have fun and the boat serves that purpose just fine. But the guys who know how to set them up run real fast. Like "Risky Business", 133 mph, 7.70 ET carburated on gasoline.
Or "Homework", Wreigt v bottom hull, Olds engine w/single carb, 92 mph.
Or this boat from ARS Marine. 8.11 ET at 119 mph http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/ARSMarine.jpg Is this boat aired out or what?
[This message has been edited by Unchained (edited March 03, 2002).]
Unchained That boat is way up in the air. Do you know the guy who runs this boat? Also were does he race that boat?

froggystyle
03-03-2002, 10:48 AM
The other thing people are not getting at is that a lot of these 60 mph boats are very large for running jet power. I assure you that a 18' bubbledeck running 600 hp will run deep in the 70's or into the 80's, maybe better. My boat is a tug compared to a light little sprint, and the jet still pushes it 76 mph with 605 hp. Pump is set up correctly, and the boat rides well. The last boat I had was a 19' Pickelfork that was into the 100's with a jet. Like Unchained said, it is all in the setup. Not to mention practicality.

Dans66Stevens
03-03-2002, 11:33 AM
I have just started reading the jet section. The V-Drive side is dead.....I see some guys post huge H.P. #s with like 65 m.p.h. Of course some guys think a cam,holley carb and a set of accell plug wires makes big horsepower... So I geuss like you said lots of stuff involved.

SPECTRABRENT
03-03-2002, 07:24 PM
I was at the NJBA drags this weekend and there was a 21 foot Daytona (family boat with seats) with a 565 cubic inch Chevy (single Dominator) and it went 110 without nitros and I think 119 with nitros. This boat is no race boat. I could be wrong, but there might be a handful of boats v-drive, jet & I/O that would kick this guys ass in a race anywhere on the Colorado river. Unchained & Froggy are right its all how you set the boat up, most jets are plain jane stock and most v-drive cruisers (20 & 21 Schiadas etc) are set up to go fast and cost 3 times as much as the jet boat.
Brent

Johnwithjm
03-03-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT:
I was at the NJBA drags this weekend and there was a 21 foot Daytona (family boat with seats) with a 565 cubic inch Chevy (single Dominator) and it went 110 without nitros and I think 119 with nitros. This boat is no race boat. I could be wrong, but there might be a handful of boats v-drive, jet & I/O that would kick this guys ass in a race anywhere on the Colorado river. Unchained & Froggy are right its all how you set the boat up, most jets are plain jane stock and most v-drive cruisers (20 & 21 Schiadas etc) are set up to go fast and cost 3 times as much as the jet boat.
BrentSPECTRABRENT I was there Sat. The 21 daytona jet is owned by Marty Strech it is 1050hp on pump gas and runs in the mid 8`s at 119+ mph. He is running Steve Shmidt pro stock heads and small NOS setup. Dave at DNE did the motor. That boat hauls A$$

disco_charger
03-03-2002, 08:08 PM
I think I've got about 450hp, but some good work in the pump. R&D Marine hooked up a good grate, droop, nozzle reducer and A impeller. Running next to a guy with a speedo, he says low 70's. But I have less than $4000 in the boat. Jets are just cheaper to make go fast than an I/O or V drive. You just got to have someone who has a clue do your set up.

Hallett19
03-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Not to be an ass, but why is everyone so concerned about going fast,isnt 60-70 more than enough if not already dangerous ? And why are us jet guys concerned about this guy with a v-drive? doesnt he know that we can run our boats in inches of water, jets are safer, much simpler,cheaper,easier to manuever,faster out of the hole,handle better,far more effecient,quieter,less maintence, easier to modify, we can make roosters(that is a big plus),damn, should I go on !?!?! big deal jets don't go faster,at least we make it back to the trailer in one piece, which by the way, jets are easier to trailer too. But those v-drives sure are good to wakboard behind (damn it!!)

Doug The Jeweler
03-03-2002, 10:33 PM
As a matter of fact a v-drive is faster out of the hole if you both start from a dead stop.I am an Ex-Jetman and it is my guess that you've never went 100+ mph in a jet boat while beating the snot out of a v-drive.It truly is a rush you keeping chasing after again and again.So I guess my answer to your question isn't 60 to 70 mph fast enough, is "NO".Just My Opinion
Originally posted by Hallett19:
Not to be an ass, but why is everyone so concerned about going fast,isnt 60-70 more than enough if not already dangerous ? And why are us jet guys concerned about this guy with a v-drive? doesnt he know that we can run our boats in inches of water, jets are safer, much simpler,cheaper,easier to manuever,faster out of the hole,handle better,far more effecient,quieter,less maintence, easier to modify, we can make roosters(that is a big plus),damn, should I go on !?!?! big deal jets don't go faster,at least we make it back to the trailer in one piece, which by the way, jets are easier to trailer too. But those v-drives sure are good to wakboard behind (damn it!!)

Cas
03-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Not to be an ass, but why is everyone so concerned about going fast,isnt 60-70 more than enough if not already dangerous ?
Hallett,
I always wonder the same thing unless you're a pro running under perfect conditions. To me running 70, 80, 90, 100mph in a lot less than perfect conditions with an untold amount of variables is far from safe.

Hallett19
03-04-2002, 07:52 AM
well, my 67.2 on gps is PLENTY fast for me, and it is my understanding that a v drive can be faster out of the hole.... with a 4 blade prop, but then you are lucky to see the thing hit 50, my dad had a v drive when I was a kid and that was always what he told me. He had a two blade prop for it he said was scary on the top end, but sucked from the start. Oh, and Doug, how does it feel not to blow a FAT roost any more ??? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif just givin ya a hard time

RiverDave
03-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens:
I was reading the thread about guys with 5 and 600 hp going like 65 mph. I always thought jets were more efficiant than that. Shit I got a V-Drive BBC and I have seen 68 on a gps. The motor is pretty stock? Im not trying to start shit just wondering what the deal is?
There lacking in "efficiency" but they do reach there peak "thrust" almost instantly which makes them quick accelerators..
Efficiency is where it counts to put horsepower to water.
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited March 04, 2002).]

Heads up
03-04-2002, 10:07 AM
No No my boat is better than your boat! No mines better! Hallet19 aren't you the one with your motor swinging from the hoist right now? That seems pretty reliable. I know for a fact that there are a ton of jetboats that will kick a v-drives butt and there are a lot of v-drives that will kick those same jets asses. Its all about the green backs, he who has the most will win.

RiverDave
03-04-2002, 10:10 AM
No... Equal horsepower in similar hulls (providing the hull works well with both propulsions) the prop will win EVERY TIME.
RD

Hallett19
03-04-2002, 11:42 AM
well you got me pretty good with my engine dangling, but it wont be in a few hours, and it wouldnt be dangling if there was some competence over at rex marine.And considering your response does not make a DIME of sense, I think you should re-evaluate your situation. I never said my boat was better than anybodys boat, and in fact if you read back I have used such words to describe my boat as "disco" and "old" and "original": a.k.a.-ugly, I just have alot of fun with it and I ask all my boys here if they can help me keep it running right. I was just stating some of the pluses of jets. And to be honest, I think outdrives are probably the fastest boats on the planet, but who wants to have the fastest boat in the world, not me, and I don't think anyone else here does either.

superdave013
03-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Brent[/b][/QUOTE]SPECTRABRENT I was there Sat. The 21 daytona jet is owned by Marty Strech it is 1050hp on pump gas and runs in the mid 8`s at 119+ mph. He is running Steve Shmidt pro stock heads and small NOS setup. Dave at DNE did the motor. That boat hauls A$$
[/B][/QUOTE]
Now that sounds like the everyday ski boat to me. I bet he has more cash in the top end on that then HBjet has in his whole boat! And I'm not knocking HB's boat at all.
That pic of the boat that Unchained posted is no low buck deal also. Take a peek at that sheet metal intake. That will only set ya back 2,500 bones or so.
As far as what's faster out of the hole. When NJBA had the MPH brackets the jets were hard to beat.
But like Heads up says, $$$$ wins most of the time.

Slick
03-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Oh, and Doug, how does it feel not to blow a FAT roost any more ??? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif just givin ya a hard time
What makes you so sure he's not blowing fat roosters? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif Errrrr, you said "Roost". Sorry about that. I litterally read Roosters. Where is my head? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif Scary.

RH
03-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Maybe someone over here could answer this for me I didn't get any hits on the v-drive page. [Could someone describe the basic operation of a v-drive to me . I have owned an i/o and an outboard but know nothing about v-drives . I assume you have fow./rev. and neutral ? What happens when you add a trany. in there , can you add to any v-drive or do you need more space ?] I'm looking for the mechanical and ease of driving differences between say a spectra 18 v-drive and a spectra 18 jet . I'm trying to find an old daycruiser that's good for family , reasonably fast , lake boat , that when I suck my stomach in and cruz by the chicks I look totally bitchin . [ well reasonably bitchin ] [ well I don't look like a complete ass- wipe ]

spectras only
03-04-2002, 03:12 PM
RH, you can't beat the simplicity of a jet concerning maintenance and safety.Quick out of the hole,and good speed potential with high HP.The 19 footer would be faster than the 18 with same HP.If you find a V-drive with a casale box that has FWD neutral RW that's a bonus .Some early boats came with FW and neutral only.The V-drive would be more economical to operate ,because planes at lower speeds than the jets.The bigger boats 20/24 came with B&W silent drive transmissions with FW/N/RW and heavy duty Ace Champion V-drives that's flippable to change ratios without changing gears.

Harlem
03-04-2002, 05:39 PM
You know what they say," JETS GETS EM WET"
In more ways than one!!!

Dimarco Kid
03-04-2002, 06:31 PM
I think a jet is really the way to go when you want a happy medium of speed and practicality. The jets have it all over v-drive for lake playin'. I think you all will agree, that if your lookin' for the fastest thing you can put your ass in, you've got to rethink your plans. My hydro runs 130's all day (as long as it's calm all day!). My old jet would run 90+, but it was twice as fun and reliable. My hydro don't turn, no rewind, hates any waves over 6" etc..... But it hauls ass, and that's all it does. You come to a point where you can't have both. If I wanted a boat that went under a hundred, a jet tunnel would be my choice. Even a little over a hundred. But when I decided to start running the drags, and felt I needed to go as fast as my wallet would allow, I went hydro. Gave up ALOT to go fast. Like I said, I THINK, jets are better "***boats", bar none.

RH
03-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Spectras Only , are you pretty happy overall with the your spectra 20 , power , interior room , handling ? I am really leaning to a spectra 20 jet . I like your pic's keep them comming .
[This message has been edited by RH (edited March 04, 2002).]

SPECTRABRENT
03-04-2002, 07:56 PM
RH,
There is not a better 20 foot v-bottom jet hull on the planet than a Spectra 20.
Brent

HBjet
03-04-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
Now that sounds like the everyday ski boat to me.
Dave, that boat is an everyday lake/river boat that happens to have a very expensive, fast motor. There is no difference between his boat and say someone putting 1000HP plus in a 26' Daytona. He just decided to be different and make 1000HP's with a single carb and more expensive indivdual parts then going the blower route with dual carbs, or infection. Now, I agree, it isn't your typical lake/river boat, but he has taken that boat from the races on Sunday, put all the interior back in and run it at Parker on Monday with the same plugs and gas. So to me, that would be a everyday lake boat, not to mention it has running lights and the hull is standard production, not a lightend one for racing.
Oh, and I know, you could probably buy 3 or 4 of my boats for the price of that motor. Hell, you could buy 2 for the price of RR's motor.
HBjet

spectras only
03-04-2002, 09:33 PM
RH ,playing with three Spectras must TELL YOU http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif something.I had the twenty footer since the summer of 1978.Bought it with a mere 15 hours on it.Was bought at the Portland Boatshow in 1976 .The previous owner had two toddlers and his wife got scared of the boat doing 63 MPH ,so they stored the boat for a whole year in a barn before he got pressured to trade it in for a cabin cruiser.I traded a 24 foot cruiser [S/D] boat for it at Marineland [Thunderbird Formula dealer].The boat has only 12 degrees of deadrise ,but the 1" bottom makes up for pounding in the rough stuff.I have full lenght stringers thats a must if you plan to run in the ocean,which I do .I also put Bennett tabs on ,so I don't have to fiddle with trim when cruising in two foot chop [I used to have a manual placediverter before] .I've aquired my 24 Spectra to be able to stay for extended periods,a boat with amenities like port-a-potty and a decent size cabin.I love the rush of the 19 jet,but that's strictly a lake boat. Overall the 20 footer is the most versatile boat,with a low cuddy that can accomodate two people in absolute comfort and relatively good performance.When we used to camp ,I always opt for the cuddy to sleep in.Here's a little teaser http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectra20.3jpg.jpg
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 04, 2002).]

DEL51
03-05-2002, 01:43 AM
I recently sold my 75 sanger jet.This hull was completely redone with mahogany flooring and stringers, new paint,dominator pump,billet aluminum "A" impeller,place diverter,and a 871 blown 468 chev. The engine made around 800 hp.It turned the impeller at 6300 rpm.Gps registered 97 mph with full tanks and 3 large adults.I sold the boat cause of rules regarding blower motors in v- type hulls.At the races in St.Louis, the jets were far in front until about the last 100 yards, then the v drives were catching up at a rabid pace.The races were Et Brackets and the winners were a toss up.A well tuned jet has unreal acceleration.A well set up and powerful v-drive will go 140+ mph.I like them both and I am considering a nice cougar v-drive as my next ride.However,That does not mean I am thru with jetboats.They Are FUN!

Hollis
03-05-2002, 06:27 AM
Attilla, Your boat has nearly the same lines as my 20'Checkmate w/ford 460. Nice paint job...

spectras only
03-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Hollis.thanks for the compliment, BTW there is no paintjob [unless you're comment was on the boat's colour] ,it's the original gelcoat http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 05, 2002).]

racingrascal
03-05-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave:
No... Equal horsepower in similar hulls (providing the hull works well with both propulsions) the prop will win EVERY TIME.
RD
Win what? The top end? Out of the hole? What are you talking about Mr. wrong x demension? We want to know with your wealth of knowledge on this.
RR

spectras only
03-05-2002, 01:06 PM
RR, I think RD meant top end ?! I'll be interested to find out the performance with your boat. I've been in 19 foot pickleforks in the seventies running 427 BBC's running in the high 80 low 90 with Berks N/A .
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 05, 2002).]

RH
03-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Spectras Only , That looks like a real beauty
Heh ! What do you think it sold for new ? RH

spectras only
03-06-2002, 12:24 AM
RH, Brent has the prices with options on his website for the 20 and 24 footers.They weren't cheap .I paid around 20.000 1978 CDN dollars.It was quite bit of money then.A new house in Richmond {vancouver suburb]was about 30.000 .If I bought a house then,the same house would be worth 300.000 today http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

RiverDave
03-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by racingrascal:
Win what? The top end? Out of the hole? What are you talking about Mr. wrong x demension? We want to know with your wealth of knowledge on this.
RR
Just like I said.. EVERY TIME! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Most props are propped pretty tall becuase the owners are trying to get every last mph out of them..
I'm sure all I'm gonna hear about how jets leave harder or something..
BOTTOMLINE, Go look at the fastest classes in ANY kind of boat racing (with the exception of shallow water racing, or that roadcourse looking racing) and the best way to put Horsepower to water is a prop.
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited March 06, 2002).]

rivercrazy
03-06-2002, 10:04 AM
RD when jets first hit the racing scene they dominated out of the hole performance to the point that they were split into different classes. That to me is proof that this particular drive is better out of da hoe. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

JohnATJmmarine
03-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave:
Just like I said.. EVERY TIME! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Most props are propped pretty tall becuase the owners are trying to get every last mph out of them..
I'm sure all I'm gonna hear about how jets leave harder or something..
BOTTOMLINE, Go look at the fastest classes in ANY kind of boat racing (with the exception of shallow water racing, or that roadcourse looking racing) and the best way to put Horsepower to water is a prop.
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited March 06, 2002).]RD if your the expert on speed and power when are you going to break 65mph. Yah jets are slow if you say so. LMAO