PDA

View Full Version : Calif state wants 17K from me

Mr.Havasu
03-31-2005, 08:58 AM
:( My son just faxed me a notice from the state of Calif stating that I owe 17,597.44 for taxes, penalties and interest for the tax year 2003.
I left Calif in June of 2002.
After I had the "Heart Attack" and read the fine print it turns out that they are billing me because I have an active real estate brokers license in Calif. and based on the average brokers income they estimated my income at 169,229. gave me the standard deduction(nice of them) of 3,070 and said I owe them taxes of 13,536.00 on the remaining 166,159.00 plus penelty and interest for not filing a return. :skull:
I can't flippen believe Calif. how desperate can it get? I've never made that kind of money in my life. To top it all off they sent the notice to my ex-husbands house. Now I got to pay an accountant to get them off my back. What a bunch of crap.
end of rant!

Garrddogg
03-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Somebody has to pay to fix my street!
J/K thats fugged up ,I got a 5k increase on my property tax on my house..

Mr.Havasu
03-31-2005, 09:06 AM
I though Arnie was suppose to fix thing!

jdogginla
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
The state of California has a tax amnesty program that actually ends today. As long as you fill out the form and have it post marked today u should be good. But it waives all penalties and interest from the tax year or years you owe for. It also gives u a payment plan through 2006 to pay it. Regardless........if you decide to fight it or not, it's worth it file that piece of paper. As long as u file it, u have until May15th (not sure on exact date) to file for that year.
Good luck

Mrs.Racer277
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
That is crazy. :confused: I am so sorry this happened to you. Hope it all gets worked out.

bigq
03-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Why do you think you received that letter? :D
Sounds like you have the proof to get rid of the bill. unfortunatly you will need to pay to get rid of the problem. Look on the bright side....at least you don't live here anymore. :D

bigq
03-31-2005, 09:13 AM
The state of California has a tax amnesty program that actually ends today. As long as you fill out the form and have it post marked today u should be good. But it waives all penalties and interest from the tax year or years you owe for. It also gives u a payment plan through 2006 to pay it. Regardless........if you decide to fight it or not, it's worth it file that piece of paper. As long as u file it, u have until May15th (not sure on exact date) to file for that year.
Good luck
but she did not do any business in 2003 in california.

Filmwritin
03-31-2005, 09:18 AM
It's my understanding all you need to do is send them a copy of your AZ taxes with a statement of AZ residency and they drop it immediately. It's SOP for CA to assume you're evading just because you stopped filing there.

jdogginla
03-31-2005, 09:28 AM
It's my understanding all you need to do is send them a copy of your AZ taxes with a statement of AZ residency and they drop it immediately. It's SOP for CA to assume you're evading just because you stopped filing there.
Yeah........I just noticed that. But anyone else that has outstanding shizit should take advantage of it..

Dave C
03-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Yes write CA a letter telling them to go f-ck off, noting you have no Ca income and you are NOT a resident of CA. Thats all. Its better that you you acknowledge them by putting the f-ck off in writing.
Their big dumb stupid computer is almost but not quite as stupid as the ones the IRS use. :boxingguy
Assuming that you owe CA tax and have CA income is a crock of sh*t. This is one area of the law I don't agree with. You are basically guilty until proven innocent.
This is how the catch tax cheats that hide income. They assume you have income based upon your peers or assume you have more income than you declare by your "lifestyle." (i.e. do you have a nice car, boat and do they "fit" you declared income)
So for all you fawkers with 30 ft boats that declare AGI of $20,000 you better get a good attorney. ;) :boxingguy

Mr.Havasu
03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm really not worried about it since I know I didn't have any Calif income. I had very little AZ income that year as a matter of fact. But it just pisses me off that I have to jump through a few hoops now to get them off my back.
They stated in their letter that this was my second notice and since I didn't respond to the first they are going to proceed with the proposed assessment. I think I'll tell them to send me the 169K and I'll send them back the 17K. (I wonder what my Ex did with the first notice?) :eek: He's probably thinking...Shiat! she made that kind of money!
I was thinking of renewing my Calif Brokers lic when it expires this Dec because you never know when it might come in handy, but now I'm not so sure I want to deal with the Calif Tax man every year.

MsDrmr
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree, assume I make as much money as you want, doesn't mean I made that much, and if you were not workin here, then there is no tax to pay.. good luck girl go kick some ca butt. :hammerhea

Kilrtoy
03-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Arnie is a joke he is screwing everything up and people are too blinded by his movie star status to realize it..............
Sorry to hear this michelle

Big Warlock
03-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Gray Davis was soooooo much better!!! hahahahahaha
Politicians are politicians!!
The answer is to write a letter, or better yet, have your accountant write a letter, include your Az income filing and they will be off your back. I left Ca. 6 years ago and they ask me every year if I have anything to contribute to the state. NOT!!!!
:) :hammerhea

Dave C
03-31-2005, 07:19 PM
it has nothing to do with Arnie ya big knee-jerk. :notam:
It is a declared policy of both the State and IRS to go after "undeclared" income or those of us who under-report our income (i.e. tax-evaders/cheats). It happens mostly with self-employed individual (i.e. real estate agents) who can "hide" their income.
If you get a W-2 you can't hide nothing. But if you collect cash from sales, you can hide alot (GET IT?)
This means they think Real Estate Agents, AS A GROUP, have a lot of "undeclared" income that they would like to tax.
This is how they find tax evaders....... :sqeyes: kind of like my clients ;) :idea:
Arnie is a joke he is screwing everything up and people are too blinded by his movie star status to realize it..............
Sorry to hear this michelle
The former commission of the IRS was on TV recently. He has a book. He estimates that lost tax revenue to the IRS is somewhere in the neighborhood of $330 Billion last year from this type of under reporting. So it has become a priority for them.

INSman
03-31-2005, 08:47 PM
No problem Michele, I'll shoot a check out to ya' in the overnight !!!
Oh scratch that, I didn't win Lotto last night ($60 mill), but maybe on Saturday night ($72 mill), I'll keep you posted !!! :hammerhea

Kilrtoy
03-31-2005, 08:53 PM
it has nothing to do with Arnie ya big knee-jerk.
I never said ARNIE had anything to do with her problem, you skip reader.....
But he is screwing up the state..............

little rowe boat
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
All F'n Arnie is going to do is screw up alot of peeps retirements.

Kilrtoy
03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
All F'n Arnie is going to do is screw up alot of peeps retirements.
retirement is only the tip of the iceberg....
Nurses(MEDICAL FIELD), teachers, firemen and cops are just the tip.
What about all the state workers..
There are so many workers that people could care less about, until its their family in need and then you could never pay these people enough to help you.....

jdogginla
04-01-2005, 03:50 AM
I'm not a state employee...........but I agree with Kilr. Arnie is sugar coating alot of things, and people are eating it right up.

dc96819
04-01-2005, 04:01 AM
When your dead the still try to get money from you,but grandpa been gone for 7 years :coffeycup

Dave C
04-01-2005, 01:47 PM
The state was screwed up BEFORE Arnie got a hold of it. All he is trying to do is fix the mess that was created by others while the Sacramento bureaucrates and crybaby unions fight him.
Since I'm not a member of any public employees' UNION or nurses' UNION or teachers UNION then I could care f-ing less where they cut the money from as long as they cut it.
CALPERS has the best damn racket in town. Who the f-ck has a cost of living increase in retirement? Answer: no one but public employees. :idea:
Those of us the the private sector had to get a haircut in 2000-2002 all the while dutifully paying our taxes while all the public employees got a raise or were not cut.
Well its time for the public employees to share in some of the pain because it was deferred until now. Does it suck, YES IT DOES.
I'm sorry you don't like it but I already paid for mine. I think its a little bit childish for the public employees to go crying to the taxpayers. :hammer2:
We will see what happend to CALPERS but changes if any will be minor.

missboatnam1
04-01-2005, 01:50 PM
fuccking bastards they ruined my credit over a 200 boat tax bill i never got.

HYPNAUTIC
04-01-2005, 01:56 PM
HEY... i thought we were all friends in here!! You know friends dont talk politics... Besides California's problems were here long before Davis or Swartz!

Kilrtoy
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
The state was screwed up BEFORE Arnie got a hold of it. All he is trying to do is fix the mess that was created by others while the Sacramento bureaucrates and crybaby unions fight him.
Since I'm not a member of any public employees' UNION or nurses' UNION or teachers UNION then I could care f-ing less where they cut the money from as long as they cut it.
CALPERS has the best damn racket in town. Who the f-ck has a cost of living increase in retirement? Answer: no one but public employees. :idea:
Those of us the the private sector had to get a haircut in 2000-2002 all the while dutifully paying our taxes while all the public employees got a raise or were not cut.
Well its time for the public employees to share in some of the pain because it was deferred until now.
I'm sorry you don't like it but I already paid for mine.
We will see what happend to CALPERS but changes if any will be minor.
Seeing how you have no clue as too what you are speaking about.....
I'll help you just a little. no-one has had raises. In 1994 the state was in the same crisis and a hell of alot of employees took pay cuts.
I took a 22% pay cut.. So for the past 11 years they have been giving us raises. B.S. They have simply restored our pay to where it was. Now again, they are try to solve the states problems again on the backs of empoyees. Enough is enough....
and since you don't care, god forbid you may need help some day from some fireman , nurse, cops or state, city or county worker. The teachers already helped you, You can read and write........Guess that ruins your theory :hammer2:

Dave C
04-01-2005, 02:17 PM
cuts huh?!? I really find that hard to believe but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Unions seldom agree to wage reductions without a concession.
every single public employee that I know got a raise or works so much OT that they pull close to six figures or more. Cuts in benefits - none!
They recently did a study of the number of public employees that make six figures around here and its alot, including those not in administration.
I don't know about your department but the departments in the cities that I live in or do business with are a gravy train.
Now I will admit most have hiring freezes in place to protect salaries and benefits and consistently have to ask for more money to fund retirement shortfalls. Some cut their staff but most did not.
SF has such a big problem with OT now they have to beg the police department to help control it.
Now teachers IMO are perpetually getting screwed and I feel sorry for them (but not their union)
Most nurses I know make more than I do so I can't feel sorry for them.
I really don't fault the public employees but rather the bureaucracy that employees them. I really wouldn't put up with this nonsense either.
Seeing how you have no clue as too what you are speaking about.....
I'll help you just a little. no-one has had raises. In 1994 the state was in the same crisis and a hell of alot of employees took pay cuts.
I took a 22% pay cut.. So for the past 11 years they have been giving us raises. B.S. They have simply restored our pay to where it was. Now again, they are try to solve the states problems again on the backs of empoyees. Enough is enough....
and since you don't care, god forbid you may need help some day from some fireman , nurse, cops or state, city or county worker. The teachers already helped you, You can read and write........Guess that ruins your theory :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow so the people that are highly trained to save your life you dont feel sorry for them.....
I guess when you need, if that ever arises, help, but the nurse is to busy with her other 6 injuried people, maybe that day you will care..
And yes people who work ot can easily make 6 figures. Too bad their health is crap, they have no life other than work and sleep. NO THANKS. I enjoy life to much to live at work......
Now as for your statement, it is the problem at the top9I AGREE), but it is always the worker bees that suffer......

Dave C
04-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I just said I don't fault the workers they are the ones getting screwed by the system that employees them.
and its not at just the top. it IS the workers bees that are making the big bucks and are not subject to cuts
actually aren't we all highly trained therefore by your definition we should all be highly paid?
Why fault someone who is willing to work a little extra to earn some more $$ and get ahead...... thats awfully judgemental.
Isn't that how it works, put in a little extra effort get paid more? :notam: Oh wait we are talking about public employees, forget it.

Kilrtoy
04-01-2005, 02:48 PM
So public employees make more than you so you are upset.... I see
Where you live public employees make double than what they do down here, but damn, the cost of living up there is also double.....

ROZ
04-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Wow so the people that are highly trained to save your life you dont feel sorry for them.....
I feel sorry that "worker Bees" are about to be screwed because both unions and gov't together are the people who made very bad deals over the past, present, and soon future...
Problem is that both unions and gov't tell members and constituants what we want to hear to keep us loyal while the crap we should really worry about mounts up until the system breaks... it's broken...

Kilrtoy
04-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I feel sorry that "worker Bees" are about to be screwed because both unions and gov't together are the people who made very bad deals over the past, present, and soon future...
VERY VERY TRUE

Dave C
04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
actually no they don't I was just trying to make a point.
As for double I think it has less to do with the cost of living and more to do with the level or corruption up here.
Maybe your right if it wasn't for the level of corruption up here they may be in the same boat as you.
So public employees make more than you so you are upset.... I see
Where you live public employees make double than what they do down here, but damn, the cost of living up there is also double.....
I don't mean to take a personal stab at you BUT for someone complaining about being paid so little your a pretty big baller yourself considering you have over $150,000 in vehicles and boats in your signature line. :rolleyes:
sorry about the dig but I had to. :notam:

ROZ
04-01-2005, 03:00 PM
VERY VERY TRUE
My wife works at UCSD meedical center and was recently offered an insult of a raise(less than 2%)... Days later everyone hears of trivial bs purchases that were made when when worker compensation and patient care really need the monitary help... Mismanagement of public services runs rampent...
Ihave to figure out how we're going to pay for private school because public education now sucks beyond the 4th grade... That ain't how it's suppose to work...
When my pops(CPA by profession) was in local politics, he'd get frustrated with city management/services and how money is blatantly wasted.... While he misses the position, he doesn't miss the arrgivation of helplessly watching the city waste away it's resources..

Kilrtoy
04-01-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't mean to take a personal stab at you BUT for someone complaining about being paid so little your a pretty big baller yourself considering you have over $150,000 in vehicles and boats in your signature line. :rolleyes:
This is what is amazing. Because someone chooses to work for a specific employer, this now means they cannot have nice or expensive items in their lives..... Please explain this mindset, as I am truley perplexed as too this way of thinking.....
ALSO I NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT WHAT I MAKE.......Now you on the other hand have.............