PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Exhaust very disappointed..

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Yesterday we were out at Lake Elsinore.. I called Shawn Gibson and told him we were about to take some pics and that he should come down and bring some of his bullet tips so that they could go in the pictures.. He jammed down there and told me.. “now with your HP they may not pass.. but it should make a difference.”.. So.. he installed them in 5 minutes and we backed back into the water.. he stood on the dock …. As I started the motor.. my buddy was standing next to him..
I felt like my dog got hit by a car.. My buddy tells Shawn.. “Dude!.. I don’t think Marks likes them at all”.. then the water came out.. and it got even quieter..
Shawn laughed.. .. He came over and said.. “sorry man.. but that is the face I was looking for”..
Pissed me offÂ…lol
These things worked amazing.. I cant even hardly hear my boat.. I took it for a ride.. and didnÂ’t feel any performance loss..
The tips are big and shiny.. I think they look cool..
So for any of you who are on the fence.. these things are about $500.. Your first noise ticket will be $400..
My motor is a 540 with a quad whipple on it.. it dynoÂ’ed just under 1200 HP.. My boat was so loud before that I didnÂ’t expect it to be this quiet.. We didnÂ’t have a DB tester.. but I cant imagine it not passing.. Its amazing..
I want to thank Gibson for coming down to the lake.. Very good customer service.. and a Purdy smile :D
Mark

Moe_Havi
03-31-2005, 09:50 AM
How was the condition of the lake (floating things, launching at west etc). Thanks
Moe

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
nothing in the water and the west ramp had no issues other then more water then they have had in there in the last 10 years :rollside:

C-2
03-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Clever way to get people looking at the thread ;)
Great to hear the good news. Maybe not so great for some of the other manufacturers charging double that amount :hammerhea :D :D :D

69 Elim
03-31-2005, 10:32 AM
how about pics of them installed - glad they worked for ya.

dirty old man
03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
What make boat? Whose motor? Any RPM loss?

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Yesterday we were out at Lake Elsinore.. I called Sean Gibson and told him we were about to take some pics and that he should come down and bring some of his bullet tips so that they could go in the pictures.. He jammed down there and told me.. “now with your HP they may not pass.. but it should make a difference.”.. So.. he installed them in 5 minutes and we backed back into the water.. he stood on the dock …. As I started the motor.. my buddy was standing next to him..
I felt like my dog got hit by a car.. My buddy tells Sean.. “Dude!.. I don’t think Marks likes them at all”.. then the water came out.. and it got even quieter..
Sean laughed.. .. He came over and said.. “sorry man.. but that is the face I was looking for”..
Pissed me offÂ…lol
These things worked amazing.. I cant even hardly hear my boat.. I took it for a ride.. and didnÂ’t feel any performance loss..
The tips are big and shiny.. I think they look cool..
So for any of you who are on the fence.. these things are about $500.. Your first noise ticket will be $400..
My motor is a 540 with a quad whipple on it.. it dynoÂ’ed just under 1200 HP.. My boat was so loud before that I didnÂ’t expect it to be this quiet.. We didnÂ’t have a DB tester.. but I cant imagine it not passing.. Its amazing..
I want to thank Gibson for coming down to the lake.. Very good customer service.. and a Purdy smile :D
Mark
Nice hook in the title to lure all of us in to read your "Sterling" endorsement of them.

CJ
03-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Got me too!!! I will be installing some Gibson Bullets on my 525 tomorrow. Will report.

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
What make boat? Whose motor? Any RPM loss?
Its a Stoker SST 224
GT Performance built the motor.. its a 540 quadwhipple.. As far as RPM loss.. I was not able to tell with the conditions the way they were when we tested.. I took it up to 6k with the tips on with NO issues getting there... that gets me going pretty fast.. so I was not comfortable going any faster with the conditions not being as consistent as I would have liked..
Depending on power you may loose 3mph.. or not.. for my application we have not been able to wind it out..
If your looking for quiet.. you will not be disappointed..
I miss the loud crack and pop of my engine.. But its the law.. now I can go through the channel or launch at any ramp and not have any issue with LE.

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 10:58 AM
how about pics of them installed - glad they worked for ya.
we'll get some pics up this afternoon or tomorrow.. ;)

dirty old man
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
WOW, that Stoker with a GT motor at +1200 hp has got to be incredibly quick and a good handler as well, a lot like his ski race boats, right?

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 11:19 AM
WOW, that Stoker with a GT motor at +1200 hp has got to be incredibly quick and a good handler as well, a lot like his ski race boats, right?
Yes sir..thank you.. same bottom .. just built for an I/O and a little more engine weight..
with a stock hp500 they gps the boat at just under 100mph in a magazine test

superdave013
03-31-2005, 11:26 AM
All these nice words about a company sure is keeping the bandwagon empty. I bet if you were mother focking them this thread would be at 5 pages already. :notam:

Tom Brown
03-31-2005, 11:29 AM
hmmm... all positive??? :idea:
There's no need for me in this thread. :D

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
All these nice words about a company sure is keeping the bandwagon empty. I bet if you were mother focking them this thread would be at 5 pages already. :notam:
LOL.. sad but true

C-2
03-31-2005, 11:31 AM
:D :D :D
it wasn't the booze damnit!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
03-31-2005, 11:33 AM
So true.

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 11:40 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2679100_0555-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2679100_0554-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2679100_0553-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2679100_0552-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2679100_0551-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2679100_0550-med.JPG

JB in so cal
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
How secure are those on there? I'm thinking someone going onto your swim step might fall/lean/grab (after they've cooled) and nudge them loose. No??

dyam
03-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Nice info.
Hey do you have a picture of your engine hatch in the up position?
Does the hatch run in front of the blower belt cover?
I need to re-do my hatch and I'm looking fo ideas.
Thanks.

Sleek-Jet
03-31-2005, 12:50 PM
FOCK WHIPPLE.... oh wait wrong thread... :hammer2:
... Let's see here.. I read the title, but not the entire first post.... ummmm....
ok..
FOCK GIBSON... no that doesnt' seem right either....
... hold on let me go read the entire thread...
FOCK PG&E... Somehow this is all PG&E's fault.... yeah there ya go... I blame big business. :D
Sounds like Gibson has a pretty good product on their hands if they can tame that beast. Good show everyone. :chi:

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Nice info.
Hey do you have a picture of your engine hatch in the up position?
Does the hatch run in front of the blower belt cover?
I need to re-do my hatch and I'm looking fo ideas.
Thanks.
Here's a pic with out the belt guard on it yet.. but its cut out.. THere are many more in the image center for HB or hotboatpics.com
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943Motor_shot.JPG

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Whose boat was that? :D
Your wifes :jawdrop: :D

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 01:43 PM
FOCK WHIPPLE.... oh wait wrong thread... :hammer2:
... Let's see here.. I read the title, but not the entire first post.... ummmm....
ok..
FOCK GIBSON... no that doesnt' seem right either....
... hold on let me go read the entire thread...
FOCK PG&E... Somehow this is all PG&E's fault.... yeah there ya go... I blame big business. :D
Sounds like Gibson has a pretty good product on their hands if they can tame that beast. Good show everyone. :chi:
LMAO.. thats funny right there

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
How secure are those on there? I'm thinking someone going onto your swim step might fall/lean/grab (after they've cooled) and nudge them loose. No??
They are extremely secure.. we used a rubber mallet to get them on.. then they have two bolts to tighten them down.. My exhaust have water running through them.. so the only time they get hot is when they sit in the sun..

SoCal_fun
03-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Very nice Mark. So I take it you're leaving them on. I can't wait for another ride in that thing!! :D

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Very nice Mark. So I take it you're leaving them on. I can't wait for another ride in that thing!! :D
Yea.. I'll just get used to not hearing the motor anymore.. are you going to be out at RWYB this weekend?.. Im going to do a DB test and see where it is

SVO 540
03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Jackpunx,
Are your mufflers the 4 inch or 4.5 inch clamp ons? Glad they are working for you.

jackpunx
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Jackpunx,
Are your mufflers the 4 inch or 4.5 inch clamp ons? Glad they are working for you.
4"

dyam
03-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks! that will help.
Hey, what do you think about the short Gibsons for the 496 and sbc motors?
If I were to use them, would it restrict the exhaust too much or would it just not be as quiet?
Mine exit below the swim step and I use the Rex inserts.
I was thinking just in case.
LMK

Dana Marine Products
04-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Depending on the tip location compared to the water level, the 496 muffler may or may not get you legal. I sound tested a set on a 540 aspirated motor and they passed the 10ft 86 db test. There's no way to provide a guaranteed anser without trying them. One thing I can guarantee is they'll be much less restrictive than your current mufflers.

dyam
04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Depending on the tip location compared to the water level, the 496 muffler may or may not get you legal. I sound tested a set on a 540 aspirated motor and they passed the 10ft 86 db test. There's no way to provide a guaranteed anser without trying them. One thing I can guarantee is they'll be much less restrictive than your current mufflers.
Because my exhaust exits below the swim step I don't think I will have a problem with noise if I use some kind of muffler.
I think the regular clamp-ons will extend to the edge of the swim step and someone might hit them with a leg when they get on. Yeah, I know, but I'm not going to tell the wife to "Be more careful!"
That's why I thought the 496 clamp-ons would be better. Because they are smaller, would they hurt performance or would they just be louder?
I guess what I should do is install the transom mounts but I kinda like the idea that I can remove them if I want. Are the transom mounts 12" total length? or are they 12" outside the boat?
Thanks for all they info.
Oh yeah. Is this stuff in stock?

Thunderbutt
04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Doesn't Gibson also make the ones that turn down. How are they?

Dana Marine Products
04-01-2005, 06:22 PM
The mufflers are 12" outside the boat. In stock....Absolutley.
Thanks

Beer-30
04-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Dana Marine Products; is this Bob from Dana Marine Products?

Cs19
04-01-2005, 10:54 PM
they passed the 10ft 86 db test.
Is there an actual law stating they will be testing 10 ft.off the transom? I dont recall seeing that particular test.
Im working with some people on muffler testing, we are following the laws EXACTLY so our tests are accurate, but I dont recall the 10 ft. test.
thanks.
Cs

Essex502
04-04-2005, 06:20 AM
A HP525 with the Gibsons passed the Lake Havasu Marina's bull$hit 10' test on Saturday. Look pretty good too.

Dana Marine Products
04-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Beer-30, yeah, I'm Bob from DMP.
When administering muffler testing you'll find that the 10 feet @ 86 db is the same as 3.3 feet @ 88 db. The extra 7 feet back is almost exactly perfect for a 2 db drop. The 10 foot test is often referenced on the forums because that is the way Havasu Marina is conducting their test.

Essex502
04-04-2005, 06:36 AM
The biggest problem with the Marina's testing is its inconsistency. Friday I personally witnessed them testing boats from the courtesy dock when the boats were in lane 2 and lane 3. This additional distance DRASTICALLY reduces the measured noise level. They also are not measuring the distance but in fact just estimating how far away they are from the boats. The procedure varies greatly with who is performing it.

Dana Marine Products
04-04-2005, 06:41 AM
It would be so easy for them to have two painted stripes on the dock, on for the transom and one for their footing. Ten feet exactly each time. It seems so simple.

Essex502
04-04-2005, 06:44 AM
They don't care to be exact since they don't have any authority to test anyway! The Marina is not law enforcement. The Marina is on public land. The Marina is in VIOLATION of the concession contract by refusing the public launching for any reason except "cause".

CJ
04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Installed my Gibson Bullets on the 525 and passed the Marina test with an 85db reading. Previously my boat blew 96db's.
I did ask them about other boats and they said they were being pretty lenient due to other inputs, and that other boats did not make a drastic difference, that they could swing the meter over and easily see the other noise. Bla Bla Bla.
Don't really care, I passed. Lots o people out there saying they are not going with Mufflers until forced to. Even tho my boat is a lot quieter, there is seemingly no HP loss and I honestly didn't notice a difference in my boat . . . mainly in my well-being. I was no longer stressed out about passing, tickets, etc.
I suggest getting some Gibson's.