PDA

View Full Version : Oppinion Wanted, High Speed V-Hull ?

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Looking for personal oppinions, which I am sure I will find PLENTY of here...
I need an extremely stable 115mph 33-35ft Deep-V Hull.
This hull will never see off-shore salt-water use, and is intended solely for windy/choppy days on Havasu.
Ride Quality at speed is the #1 criteria.
Who makes the smoothest riding fast hull out there??

dicudmore
03-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Chris when you find it I want a ride :D
Maybe the 35' Flame.....
Never really seen a big V with HUGE power except for Jay's 42' Fountain (which is for sale by the way) :cool:
Oh he's got a 38' Fountain for sale too last I knew. It would need more HP to run 115. I think he said 95 w/575's

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Chris when you find it I want a ride :D
Maybe the 35' Flame.....
Never really seen a big V with HUGE power except for Jay's 42' Fountain (which is for sale by the way) :cool:
Oh he's got a 38' Fountain for sale too last I knew. It would need more HP to run 115. I think he said 95 w/575's
By all rights this guy should be looking for a longer boat.
BUT...
He wants to be able to take it through the channel, so he is limiting himself to 35' to make sure he is legal. And considering the size of Lake Havasu, the chop will never get all that bad, so i would think we should be able to find a hull that does what he wants. But I need some input from folks as to what works and where I should be pointing the guy.

FASTERDAMITT
03-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Phantom is probably the fastest IMO. I also like the Nordic Flame or Fountain for Havasu. Here's a link to Phantom and a pichttp://www.phantomboats.com/new/other-images/34-3.gif
http://www.phantomboats.com/new/index.html

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Phantom is probably the fastest IMO. I also like the Nordic Flame or Fountain for Havasu. Here's a link to Phantom and a pichttp://www.phantomboats.com/new/other-images/34-3.gif
So your suggesting the 34 classic?

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
There www site sure doesn't show much interest on the part of the company. Looks like they have not touched it in YEARS...
The 34 Classic is showing new prices for 2001 !!

FASTERDAMITT
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Ya I saw that to, but you asked for the fastest. They are very successful in racing. I think Teague race one for awhile also. If you want to see all the stable big V's then look at the this link. The F2 class has alot of stable proven V's http://www.apbaoffshore.com/teams.cfm
I'm having built this 32' overall Superboat. I don't know if this will what he's looking for? They also have a 34 but more conventional styling like Pantera.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/478r30d3.jpg

INSman
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I am not sure of fastest, most efficient hull or best handling, but the options I readily know of in NO particular order:
1. Hustler Cheetah 34'
2. Shockwave 34'
3. Laveycrafy NuEra 32'
4. Nordic Flame 35'
5. Magic Sorcerer 34' / Sleekcraft 32'
6. Hallett 360T 36'
7. Schiada 32' Offshore
8. Commander 32' Signature / 34' Offshore
9. Eliminator 340 eagle XP
I apologize if I left someone off the list, as I am sure I did (no offense intended). Isn't the max in the channel 36' ??

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Isn't the max in the channel 36' ??
Yes, I think that is the magic number.

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Ya I saw that to, but you asked for the fastest. They are very successful in racing. I think Teague race one for awhile also. If you want to see all the stable big V's then look at the this link. The F2 class has alot of stable proven V's http://www.apbaoffshore.com/teams.cfm
This is whats racing in F2 right now
Formula 36
Formula 382 Fastech
Phantom 34
Donzi 38
Fountain 35
Pantera 35

spectras only
03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
I think a 32 Velocity [ a very fast hull without steps ]
is channel size limit friendly and a very stable hull ;)

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
I think a 32 Velocity [ a very fast hull without steps ]
is channel size limit friendly and a very stable hull ;)
Your the 2nd person to suggest a NON-Stepped hull.
Another guy suggested that one of the older non-stepped hull will ride smoother and pound less at high speed, but at the cost of needing more HP to attain the same speed.

Bella
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
34' Magic/Sleekcraft

FASTERDAMITT
03-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Your the 2nd person to suggest a NON-Stepped hull.
Another guy suggested that one of the older non-stepped hull will ride smoother and pound less at high speed, but at the cost of needing more HP to attain the same speed.
Actually the steps in the hull would only make it land smoother due to the air cushion. The best riding V is going to be a stepped staight 24 deg. V narrow strakes, no reverse chine or pad. Speed also will depend largely on the beem of the boat. Narrow will be faster and land smoother. Balance is cruisial in a V hull. I prefer a minimal cabin for better speed, better balance.
Usually the older V's are heavier and will ride smoother for that fact
(older Cigarettes).

spectras only
03-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Stealth , local guy has a 32 with stock 525's running low
90's . Very stable and smooth in rough water. I'm sure a
little tweaking on the engines would make it to 100 :D

spectras only
03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Stealth , local guy has a 32 with stock 525's running low
90's . Very stable and smooth in rough water. I'm sure a
little tweaking on the engines would make it to 100 :D
This old narrow beamed Excalibur , with substantial power would make it an ideal boat on the lake.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/27excalibur.jpg

FASTERDAMITT
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Yes, Excalibur would be a good riding hull similar to what I descibed. Dana and Rayson Craft are using it now. I think the 28 Cigarette and Magnum was the same mold also. Not as fast as the Superboat but still in the right direction. I think he wan't bigger than 27.

Stealth Marine
03-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Yes, Excalibur would be a good riding hull similar to what I descibed. Dana and Rayson Craft are using it now. I think the 28 Cigarette and Magnum was the same mold also. Not as fast as the Superboat but still in the right direction. I think he wan't bigger than 27.
Not interested in anything less than a 33 and leaning more towards the 35.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Actually the steps in the hull would only make it land smoother due to the air cushion. The best riding V is going to be a stepped staight 24 deg. V narrow strakes, no reverse chine or pad. Speed also will depend largely on the beem of the boat. Narrow will be faster and land smoother. Balance is cruisial in a V hull. I prefer a minimal cabin for better speed, better balance.
Usually the older V's are heavier and will ride smoother for that fact
(older Cigarettes).
So step make it land softer? That's the first time I've heard that (since a step doesn't "trap" air)... :idea:
I'd say a non-pad, non-stepped bottom will land the softest...but like you guys mentioned earlier, it has less lift built in, so it takes more HP.

FASTERDAMITT
03-31-2005, 08:29 PM
HH, The multiple surfaces and airiation should cushion the re-entry to a small extent compared to a solid surface. Am I wrong?

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
HH, The multiple surfaces and airiation should cushion the re-entry to a small extent compared to a solid surface. Am I wrong?
Well, I'm not an expert, so I am in no position to say that you are wrong.
I would think that when a v-hull lands in the water, any air would be (or water) pushed away from the keel. Since there is no way to trap the air...there is no cushion. A cat is a different story, since it is built to trap air.
Most of the legendary wave crushers (Apache, Cigarette) were all heavy, straight 24 degreee bottoms. Builders have figured out that making them lighter, adding lift with a pad, and/or less deadrise can make a hull go faster, but may sacrafice some rough-water handling.
Steps can handle rough water as well as a straight bottom, but may create some handling quirks.
My boat is probably the softest landing v-bottom I've ever ridden in, but it's also very heavy by today's standards.
Like most things in boating, I'd say it's all about tradeoff (but I'm not an expert).

TPI
03-31-2005, 08:56 PM
This is really going to be a research project for you to find a 115+ mph combination in that size range. It is going to take AT LEAST 2000HP to run that kind of speed in the heat of Summer(IMO), and its going to take some time to get up to that speed. Havasu will be seeming pretty small. But good luck, I am sure with enough hands on research and honest test rides IN GLASS, you will find what you are looking for. Dont go for any rough water test rides if you can help it(Thats cheating), find a boat that will run the number in the glass and then you will have a good all around boat.

mbrown2
03-31-2005, 09:37 PM
I know he is limiting at 35, but I would really consider the Outerlimits 37 GTX ..(this a 42 pictured, but the same design is made in a 37)...
These seem to run really fast with mild power (mild is relative)....and have a very efficient hull and wind protection for high speed runs
http://www.outerlimitspowerboats.com/pages/product/images/42gtx-pic-boat.jpg

SoCalOffshore
03-31-2005, 10:29 PM
My 32 Schiada with twin 525's runs 92. Lee built one with twin 800 hp blower motors and it ran well over 100 mph. Give Lee Spindler a call at Schiada.

spectras only
03-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Faster, if the water was aerated before the boat landed ,your theory would work.High divers have the water surface aerated to lessen the impact on entry [ I think the record is over 150' in height ]. A boat with forward moving needs a narrow and sharp entry with minimum 24 degree deadrise [some boats have 28 degrees like the Levi designed "Barbarina";) ] to slice through .Stepped bottoms are great for breaking surface tention when the water is like glass .Velocity seem to be able to achieve great speeds without steps [Steve is against steps for obvious reasons ;) ].

spectras only
03-31-2005, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin']
Most of the legendary wave crushers (Apache, Cigarette) were all heavy, straight 24 degreee bottoms. Builders have figured out that making them lighter, adding lift with a pad, and/or less deadrise can make a hull go faster, but may sacrafice some rough-water handling.
This is what started it all in america . Dick Bertram's Moppie
in the Nassau race
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Bertram%20moppie.jpg

Stealth Marine
04-01-2005, 10:24 AM
My boat is probably the softest landing v-bottom I've ever ridden in, but it's also very heavy by today's standards.
Like most things in boating, I'd say it's all about tradeoff (but I'm not an expert).
And in this case the goal is SMOOTH RIDE AT SPEED.
Doesn't want the boat to handle like a race boat.
FAST and STABLE.

Stealth Marine
04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I know he is limiting at 35, but I would really consider the Outerlimits 37 GTX ..(this a 42 pictured, but the same design is made in a 37)...
These seem to run really fast with mild power (mild is relative)....and have a very efficient hull and wind protection for high speed runs
It would be SOOOO much easier to go that fast with a LONGER boat.
But one of the stipulations he put on me was that it HAD to be Channel Legal.
So 36 is realisticly the outter limit if we want to be 100% sure he can take it in the channel.

Stealth Marine
04-01-2005, 10:32 AM
My 32 Schiada with twin 525's runs 92. Lee built one with twin 800 hp blower motors and it ran well over 100 mph. Give Lee Spindler a call at Schiada.
Do you have an active WWW site address for them?
http://schiada.com/Pages/About.html appears to be dead.

SoCalOffshore
04-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Call Lee Spindler at 310-530-4669

Stealth Marine
04-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Call Lee Spindler at 310-530-4669
Thanks

flat broke
04-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe GT could correct me, but wouldnt a 28' Howard Bullet do the trick? I've never driven one, but everything I've heard about them sounds similar to what your friend is looking for.
Chris

TPI
04-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Maybe GT could correct me, but wouldnt a 28' Howard Bullet do the trick? I've never driven one, but everything I've heard about them sounds similar to what your friend is looking for.
Chris
I think he is looking for something bigger, With twins. A Howard 28 Bullet is an awesome boat at 100 mph+, If it fits into your size catagory. Once again, It is going to take a VERY good hull in that size catagory to achieve the 115 mph goal in the dead heat of summer, and a lot of power. The boat and the reliable power is available($$$$$), its just going to take some serious research and hands on proven FACTS to make a solid choice. All of the input from these boards is great, there are some sharp guys here, but I would put my money into a proven running combination(not a race boat nor a race boat's stats). Good luck. If you(The buyer) decide you would like a smaller boat, and are ever at the lake while we are there with our 28 Bullet, Please flag me down and I will take you for a ride. You will be impressed. I would have never thought 10 years ago I would call a 28 small(Thats funny).

Havasu Hangin'
04-01-2005, 06:11 PM
This is what started it all in america . Dick Bertram's Moppie
Yep.
Stealth- don't forget the 34' Eliminator Eagle.
Like GT said...big power (and sixes) is needed to get the big number.

spectras only
04-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Just want it to share this with you guys. This is a one of boat
that I would give an arm for :wink: .It's about a 35 year old
design[36'] .Didn't need steps to make it fly .Four engines
with a total of 1600 HP .Imagine what it would do with modern
power!
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Barbarina.jpg
V-drive guys would drool all over it :D
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Barbarina.2.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/barba.jpg

Burley1
04-01-2005, 08:59 PM
http://img214.exs.cx/img214/5429/teamn3yf.jpg

TPI
04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Just a thought...................................
I think the Kachina 34 Bolero runs well. There was one at the Powerboat 100 mph round up last week that ran over 111 mph with twin Gary Teague 975's. Maybe that would be an option for you. I am sure I could put a couple of EFI quad-Rotors in it and it would run very well. Maybe a couple TP1100's? Let me know...................................I would definately check into that hull.

ELIMINAT THIS
04-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Sounds like what he realy wants is a cat.If that isn't a option.The dude with Bad hair and Mr T jewlery makes a bad ass 35' ( 2xhp500 alum.edelbrock heads with whipples runs 109 at lake tahoe 7000 ft. elev.) my .02

pixrthis
04-02-2005, 06:59 AM
a 35 Fountain would be real easy to drive that fast with whippled 500 or 525's and XR's will live if you don't hammer it out of the hole. These things are for sale for really good prices too.
Cigarrette Gladiator has a great bottom but no cabin, if that matters.
I went with a fountain and couldn't be happier.

Stealth Marine
04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
a 35 Fountain would be real easy to drive that fast with whippled 500 or 525's and XR's will live if you don't hammer it out of the hole. These things are for sale for really good prices too.
Cigarrette Gladiator has a great bottom but no cabin, if that matters.
I went with a fountain and couldn't be happier.
The guy is a airline pilot and owns 4 airplanes., so he has some cash to spend.
He currently has a Nordic 28 and considers it too small in the cabin and in general.
He wants to be able to run FAST and SMOOTH on choppy days at Havasu.
Wants 6 peaasenger seating with a reasonable amount of room for them to move around. Didn't seem very concerned with cuddy space or interior accomodations.

Magnuman
04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Spectras,
I thought I have seen it all, but never that one!
Great looking boat.
Can you give me any more info on it?
Thanks.

UBFJ #454
04-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Hewitt Custom Boats is currently tooling to build a new 35 ft. stepped bottom that you might want to look at ... Bobby Hewitt (602) 463-1895.

spectras only
04-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Magnuman , Barbarina was designed by Renato Levi. He
was working at the Cantieri shipyards as a naval engineer.
He also designed Virgin Atlantic . I have an older book that
has a lot of info on him.Search google, there's a website about him. How's that Donzi of yours coming along? I'm
surprised your Magnum hasn't got to a good home yet.

SoCalOffshore
04-04-2005, 12:34 PM
The guy is a airline pilot and owns 4 airplanes., so he has some cash to spend.
He currently has a Nordic 28 and considers it too small in the cabin and in general.
He wants to be able to run FAST and SMOOTH on choppy days at Havasu.
Wants 6 peaasenger seating with a reasonable amount of room for them to move around. Didn't seem very concerned with cuddy space or interior accomodations.
If he wants cockpit room, look at the 32 Schiada for sure. It has more cockpit room than any boat in its class. Allot more room than a 35 foot Fountain. I would say atleast twice the cockpit of a Fountain. The closest in roominess would be a Baja.

spectras only
04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
SCO , what 's a 32 going for ? Knowing how much a 21
RC cost ,the price on a 32 must be astronomical ;)

Havasu Cig
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
My choice would be a Gladiator. 36' (at least that's what it says on the sides) so he should be ok in the channel, fast hull (runs about 92 with 525's) and can handle rough water very well. It has the same bottom as the twin step gun but it is cut down thus making it a shorter boat.
Fountain will also get you the speeds you want, but it's a Fountain. Not to get down on Fountains but they are production boats and I have been less than impressed with the ones I have driven. Fast hulls but the fit and finish, and some of the equipment they use leave a little to be desired IMO. You can't beat the re-sale of a Cig either. Probably one of the strongest out there.

Powerquestboy
04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Scarab. The 33 with the AVS Hull is one of the nicest riding boats I've ever been in. You can find them used between 90 & 100K. A little motor & Drive work, and I think it would be a very nice, very fast boat for the money.

SoCalOffshore
04-05-2005, 03:32 PM
SCO , what 's a 32 going for ? Knowing how much a 21
RC cost ,the price on a 32 must be astronomical ;)
Less than a Cig and less than a DCB. One would need to talk to Lee for sure as the engine options change the numbers, but I found the pricing reasonalbe relative to the competition.

DogHouse
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I think I'd call Howard and ask when they plan to supersize the Bullet...
:cool:

INSman
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I think I'd call Howard and ask when they plan to supersize the Bullet...
:cool:
Funny you should mention that as I heard that they are planning on building either a 32' or 34' Bullet in the future. They have to get their 28' deck done first and then I have no idea how long it will take after that. That boat will be bad ass for sure !!!

DogHouse
04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Or there's always this little beauty...
https://www.eliminatorboat.com/_photo_archive/380-Eagle1.jpg
https://www.eliminatorboat.com/_photo_archive/380-Eagle2.jpg

DogHouse
04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Funny you should mention that ...
Well I do know this one guy that has been known to sometimes pimp for Howard and might have the inside info!
:D

INSman
04-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Well I do know this one guy that has been known to sometimes pimp for Howard and might have the inside info!
sometimes ??!!?? :D :D
Might that be the walking billboard for Howard, GT ??? :idea:

roln 20s
04-05-2005, 07:42 PM
sometimes ??!!?? :D :D
Might that be the walking billboard for Howard, GT ??? :idea:
I'm probably the second walking billboard. You are correct, Howard is supersizing the 28 Bullet, raising the freeboard (not to scale like the 25 and 28, truely adding more), widening the boat and adding approx 6'. Gene told me just last week to expect a 34' Howard- but unfortunately, its atleast a year away (LA Boat Show 2006 would be a miracle). As an update, they have completed the plug for the deckboat and should lay one up relatively soon. I would expect to have some pics out of the mold within the next month or so.
As for GT's comment, we spoke with the couple who owned that 34' Kachina that ran SUPER fast with twin 975's and was smooth. The hull is proven and provides an exceptional ride. In fact, I just stopped by Kachina today to make a delivery and checked it out again. A killer boat and an exceptional buy at $119K (I think) with a pair of 496 HOs (must get Boatbling covers though :D )--Call Shannon at Kachina and talk to her, or call Louie Majors, the owner. They are great people and would be happy to chat with you. Tell them Patrick sent you.
Good luck-
Patrick
AKA Roln 20s

INSman
04-05-2005, 07:46 PM
A 34' Howard will be the absolute "Sheat" !!!!!!!!!!!!!
That may well be my next boat, maybe with a pair of Merc 850's !! :idea: :D

DogHouse
04-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, a year away, interesting... So what sort of special intro deal could a number one Howard slut arrange on a pre-production version for someone who was willing to help with some r&d?
:idea:
What am I saying, I'm a CAT guy! :hammer2:

INSman
04-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Second thought, that would be WAY too much money !!! :cry: :cry:
I'll will go with a pair of Ilmor MV10-625's !!!!!! :cool:

dicudmore
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Second thought, that would be WAY too much money !!! :cry: :cry:
I'll will go with a pair of Ilmor MV10-625's !!!!!! :cool:
with your money? Just buy it already :D

INSman
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
with your money? Just buy it already :D
I still have to pay for the Shocker !!! Maybe in (2) years... :rolleyes:

Stealth Marine
04-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Seems like we are beginning to generate a few more real possibilities here.
But its going to be hard to guess at the engine/speed combination without some HARD facts.
I need to find a Hull that WILL go 115mph with a known powerplant behind it.
So it needs to be something that already exists and someone has driven at that speed and can honestly say "IT WILL DO IT, and it DOES ride smoothly".

RiverDave
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Looking for personal oppinions, which I am sure I will find PLENTY of here...
I need an extremely stable 115mph 33-35ft Deep-V Hull.
This hull will never see off-shore salt-water use, and is intended solely for windy/choppy days on Havasu.
Ride Quality at speed is the #1 criteria.
Who makes the smoothest riding fast hull out there??
Pretty sure a 32 Schiada would probably meet your criteria. If your looking to license hulls though or something I doubt that'd be an option with them. They are kinda sticklers about that sorta stuff.
RD

DogHouse
04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
But its going to be hard to guess at the engine/speed combination without some HARD facts.
So it needs to be something that already exists and someone has driven at that speed and can honestly say "IT WILL DO IT, and it DOES ride smoothly".
Sounds like you're looking for gold chains and bad hair to me. :D
... A Fountain would be a safe bet if you don't mind boats with beaks.
You're a boat builder, think about what makes a boat ride good. Most big offshore Vs are 24 deg at the transom and significantly more at the front. More strakes and pad bottoms make for flat running surfaces and more speed, but compromised ride quality in rough water. Realistically though, any of those 34+ footers will be fine on Havasu. Assuming the hull is well built and not too heavy, given the right setup, weight and balance, it will perform. Just because you can't find an example of brand XYZ that runs the numbers you're looking for, doesn't mean you can't build it and achieve your goals. All you have to do is understand the concepts and throw enough money at the problem!
;)

roln 20s
04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey Chris-
Definately call and talk to Shannon at Kachina. Their 34 (driven by Bob Teague for the powerboat trials) ran 111mph +. It was powered by a pair of GT Perf motors (975hp+) and she said the cost was LESS than $200K. What a steal. Base price with HO's for the Bolero 34 is $115K and the Drone 34 (canopies) is approx $128K. Add power from there for $$$$$. I'm very impressed with these guys, and its openly known that I LOVE Howards. The quality, value and performance seems to be unbeatable.
Roln 20s

TPI
04-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Definately................Stay with the facts, when it comes to how fast a boat goes(or has gone). This is not going to be a cheap project, so you will definately want it to run well right out of the box, without to much extra effort. 2 good size quad-rotor efi's will probably be the motors of choice with a couple of good solid drives. I am sure someone out there has to have a nice, well rigged hull running those numbers in that size range. Maybe someone on the east coast?

Stealth Marine
04-07-2005, 08:52 AM
The situation I find myself is a bit odd, but seems to be happening to us more and more often.
The customer likes "us" and wants us to build him this particular boat.
Well, there is NO chance of us laying up a 1 time hull, nor will I have the opportunity to do all the Trials & Errors to shake a new hull out. 35' boats are just not what we are all about right now.
So I need to find a PROVEN solution for this guy.
If I am able to buy a finished hull, even at a small premium, that would work fine. Rigging the boat and the custom interior is right up our alley and it would make a nice winter project as well next year.
But again I need to be 100% sure, that when we fire the engines the boat WILL PERFORM as advertised, and that make picking out the hull life or death in this situation.

spectras only
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
SM , you can buy a velocity hull unrigged. I'm sure with a twin QR setup it will be in the ballpark speedwise what your customer wants.

Havasu Cig
04-07-2005, 01:55 PM
If you plan on re-rigging the boat anyways I would say go Fountain. Like I said before I am not a Fountain fan, but they are fast hulls. I would not recommend one for a lot of ocean use though in the 35' range.I ran a new 35 lightning off San Diego on a pretty calm day and IMO it handled the water poorly. You could probably pick up a used one pretty cheap and re-rig it, or you might be able to buy a blank hull.

TPI
04-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I have heard(key word heard) that the Kachina 34 Bolero has a bottom very similar to a fountain shape. I also know that if a company has a good reputation for rigging show quality high performance boats, they can buy a bare hull just about anywhere(with some exceptions). You might have to sign a legal agreement with the MFG to disclose the fact that you will not "splash" the boat, but that should be ok right? Also(speaking from experience here) a good manufacturer knows exactly how may boats they can build in a year, and they will build that amount only. Building a bare hull costs a lot of money because it pulls one boat out of the loop at the end of the year. The MFG has to justify this somehow, so the hull can be pretty expensive sometimes, to cover the loss and the overhead.
I am really interested in your project, and want to hear how this comes out. Good luck, and have fun with it.

FASTERDAMITT
04-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Did Kachina change the way they build boats? I remember seeing the fiberglass matt show through the gel on one of thier boats beached next to me in the channel in the 90's. The same the next time I looked at one.

TPI
04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I personally am not familiar with their lamination schedule. But they are the only "local" 32-35' boat that I know of that has canopies and runs over 110 mph. Just laying some options out on the table.

Stealth Marine
04-09-2005, 09:27 AM
If you plan on re-rigging the boat anyways I would say go Fountain. Like I said before I am not a Fountain fan, but they are fast hulls. I would not recommend one for a lot of ocean use though in the 35' range.I ran a new 35 lightning off San Diego on a pretty calm day and IMO it handled the water poorly. You could probably pick up a used one pretty cheap and re-rig it, or you might be able to buy a blank hull.
Client has vetoed the "Fountain" hull as he does not like the style.

Stealth Marine
04-09-2005, 09:29 AM
I am really interested in your project, and want to hear how this comes out. Good luck, and have fun with it.
Its a strange situation and I am not sure anything will come of it.
But the guy is for real and he does want to do the deal.
So i am willing to do the leg work to try and put something together.
And in all honesty, it would be just plain FUN to put something like this together as a mid-winter project when we are slow anyway.