PDA

View Full Version : Costco BBQ Grills

cdog
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Went down there today to buy the $389.00 stainless model and they don't have them anymore. All that is left is the $799 stainless grill. Does anyone have one of these? How does it work? Are you happy with it? The big one is a little much for me and the wife, but the construction looks alot better than the home depot ones. I really want a all stainless grill with stainless grates because the cast iron rusts real bad when the marine layer comes in at night. Any comments?

riverroyal
03-31-2005, 01:26 PM
i bought a homedepot expo one,,it lasted about 2 years,,the gas valves went bad,i built a island now so the old one just taking up space,,,,,,go with costco,,they will take it back anytime,,

cdog
03-31-2005, 01:32 PM
At first I was lookin at the home depot ones but I noticed how the doors were'nt boxed. The stainless felt flimsy because the sides of the doors were just folded over. I've got this crazy ass weim dog who gets into everything so the sealed storage compartment is important to me.

WYRD
03-31-2005, 01:32 PM
At Costco if you see it you better buy it cause when you go back it will be gone and never restocked!!

cdog
03-31-2005, 01:34 PM
At Costco if you see it you better buy it cause when you go back it will be gone and never restocked!!
Why? Is there something wrong with them? Will I be able to get replacement parts?

WYRD
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Why? Is there something wrong with them? Will I be able to get replacement parts?
Oh yea my friend has one and he likes it and Costco will stand behind it. I am just saying everytime I see something I like at costco by the time I go back to get it they are sold out :D I think my friend has the 400 dollar one though but they are the same manufactur I belive.

riverroyal
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
if it breaks they will give you all your money back,,,,,years from now

Waist Deep
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Bought the one for 300 and returned it and got the $$ back. Igniter broke and the friggin stainless tray at the bottom is one pain in the butt to clean. Went to depot and bought a black one. Much happier

Garrddogg
03-31-2005, 02:14 PM
I bought one of the ones from Sams club paid 7 or 8 bills for it, and it smokes my buddies $1500 he bought at a BBQ store!
four years and still kickin azz like new!

MudPumper
03-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Went down there today to buy the $389.00 stainless model and they don't have them anymore. All that is left is the $799 stainless grill. Does anyone have one of these? How does it work? Are you happy with it? The big one is a little much for me and the wife, but the construction looks alot better than the home depot ones. I really want a all stainless grill with stainless grates because the cast iron rusts real bad when the marine layer comes in at night. Any comments?
They have this $599 model for sale at Costco.com
Stainless Grill (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11027607&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=115&hierPath=114*115*)

HYPNAUTIC
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
i got the black weber from target!!! $50.00!!!
sorry just f**kin around :D

ROZ
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Got the 400.00 model 2 years ago.. Like it so much I'm going to get another one... That's a grill for Carne asada, and a grill for pollo :D

C-2
03-31-2005, 02:51 PM
I have yet to see ANY grill outperform a Weber Genesis series, period.
I've cooked on many, many different grills, including built-in's that costs thousands. None have been as effecient or cooked as evenly as a Weber Genesis. They cost about $450-$500 and even have a bling model if you feel the need.
I too got swindled into a nice, big, bad-ass looking que wich tuned out to to be the biggest piece of crap. In fact I'm breaking it down and sending all the parts back to the manufacturer, despite the fact I'm getting a Genesis this season.
Grills are like boats - they might all look the similar, but they aren't built the same, and most assuredly don't perform the same.
But then again I'm really into cooking.... so maybe none of this means anything. :eek: :eek:
Anybody else??

JB in so cal
03-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I have yet to see ANY grill outperform a Weber Genesis series, period.
I've cooked on many, many different grills, including built-in's that costs thousands. None have been as effecient or cooked as evenly as a Weber Genesis. They cost about $450-$500 and even have a bling model if you feel the need.
I too got swindled into a nice, big, bad-ass looking que wich tuned out to to be the biggest piece of crap. In fact I'm breaking it down and sending all the parts back to the manufacturer, despite the fact I'm getting a Genesis this season.
Grills are like boats - they might all look the similar, but they aren't built the same, and most assuredly don't perform the same.
But then again I'm really into cooking.... so maybe none of this means anything. :eek: :eek:
Anybody else??
I just gave away my Genesis to my "Mow and Blow" guy - still working after 12 years - and got a Summit Silver. Weber makes the best grills hands down. Can you say flavorizer bars?

cdog
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
I just got back from costco in corona. They had 3 left. Now I have to assemble this thing. I let you know how it works after tonight. :)

MsDrmr
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
I bought the mr one of the 389.ers for fathers day/ birthday gift. He will have had it a year in June, He used it all the time and loved it, it cooked well and evenly, the only thing we had a difficult time doing was smoking meat with it. other than that it was durable and he just loved using it...I can't remember cooking a meal in the house once he bought it..Well worth the $$ IMOP

superdave013
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
marine layer in Anaheim Hills? lol
BTW, your dog does look crazy. I have 2 dogs and one is a freak like that. Get's into everything too. They say she will settle down when she gets older. Going on 11 years old and I'm still waiting for the settling down part!

cdog
03-31-2005, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=superdave013]marine layer in Anaheim Hills? lol
Wrap you bottom lip around your head and swallow. :D

Mandelon
03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Sounds like you found one. I was going to suggest you go to the customer service desk, they can look up inventory at other Costco stores and send you to one that has some in stock. ;)

cdog
03-31-2005, 09:13 PM
Grilled up some costco chicken on costco grill. Good stuff. The smoker chip trey does'nt work that great, but over all not a bad grill. I beileve this thing is made by charbroiler. The last one hung in there for 7 years. Funny. I actually feel like I got my money's worth out of something today. Good deal.

gnarley
03-31-2005, 09:39 PM
I've had my $389 Costco grill for a year now and it is great! The damn thing will outlast me and I will need to leave it in my trust, it has a 99 year warranty!
I just did the clean up on it and it almost looks like new! For the price how do you beat it? It comes with a rotisserie, stainless grill, cast iron burners, wood chip smoker tray and a sliding propane tray. Oh I forgot to mention the rear burner for the rotisserie. Turn on all 4 burners and it's 450 degrees in 5 minutes!
To make the cleanup a little better just line the drip pan with aluminum foil, work smarter not harder. :cool:
I am really happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

cdog
03-31-2005, 09:42 PM
I can't believe the price of some of these grills. 1000 bucks on a grill is just way too much money for me. I'm not a cheap guy, but come on I just don't see the value in them. Anyway i'm happy with this one so far.

Outnumbered
04-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Home Depot has some crap but they do carry a higher-line BBQ that I thought was a great deal for the quality. Its a Vermont Castings. This thing is solid and is built better than the Webber I think. They have them side by side at the Depot and you can compare. I have an enamel grill but here is a pic of the stainless version:
http://images.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/600.0.90.0/Retailers/HomeDepot/ddb_vermont_casting_4800.jpg

Just Tool'n
04-01-2005, 06:36 AM
My neighbor across the street had bought 1 costco BBQ, Stainless steel unit, 3 month later they have to take it back, because they said the valves failed, so they bring another one home, 5 months later bring the 2nd unit back again.
They bring a 3rd unit home, this time 6 months it lasted. So fianally they take it back & get their money back.
How do I know this, because I have to go help my neighbor load & unload it everytime because he has a bad hip.
I do not know if I would buy a Costco BBQ?
My Weber Gas BBQ is 4 years old & still cooking up some mean tri-tips :D

a catered life
04-01-2005, 07:07 AM
the ss grills are are cool looking and nice looking but generally thin if you really want a great grill that smokes really good try the black one at costo with the really heavy lid i dont know the name on it but i was there last weekend and go it. :p and feel in love with it........... it has two separate sides that have seperate coal height adjusts and is made from really heavy gaugu steel which holds the smoke in so you use less coals and it produces a good amount of smoke.....that really s my 2 cents but it may be worth 3 since i'm a caterer good luck with whatever you buy

SSTahoe
04-01-2005, 07:07 AM
My girl pick up the $400.00 model for my B-day last year from Costco we use it 3-4 times per week the thing work great! You have to keep the catch pan clean or you will be cooking with just a staight grease fire instead of gas. The bad thing about the Stainless its a pain to keep it looking new, it get a lot of finger prints and the front control's get grease splatter all over them. I love it thought!

Beer Factor
04-01-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm building a masonry BBQ in my back yard. I need a drop in unit. I looked at Home Depot and they had a stainless one made by Bullet. It looked nice. The price was $999.00 Does anybody know about this unit?

a catered life
04-01-2005, 09:06 AM
nice i grow up with one of those my dad was a builder and made a bitchin one in the back yard goo luck when its finished i like mine medium rare

Outnumbered
04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
My girl pick up the $400.00 model for my B-day last year from Costco we use it 3-4 times per week the thing work great! You have to keep the catch pan clean or you will be cooking with just a staight grease fire instead of gas. The bad thing about the Stainless its a pain to keep it looking new, it get a lot of finger prints and the front control's get grease splatter all over them. I love it thought!
Buy Zep Stainless cleaner at Home Depot in the janitorial section. Its in an airisol can. Works killer. We use it on the SS appliances--we have two kids. Tried the other stuff at the grocery store and nothing compares.

One Particular Harbor
04-01-2005, 01:32 PM
I picked up one of the JennAir grills at Lowes about a year ago. Stainless steel, boxed doors, very easy to assemble. 42" grill with a side burner and the rotisserie burner for under $800.
It's a great looking grill and cooks very well with a good amount of grill surface area. Everything is very heavy duty and I expect it will hold up very well. Also, it has a nifty sliding mount for propane tank that makes it easy to swap out tanks when you run out of gas.
They have a smaller version that's about $400 and a larger one that runs about $900. The larger one also has an integrated smoking box.
OPH