PDA

View Full Version : Need help with box design

Greaser
04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
My lil brother want to build a box for his truck. He asked me if I could help, I'm thinking fine, I'll help out lil bro. Well, he wants a ported box. Which I know nothing about. So, I figure I could ask you guys for advice.
Here is what he's got. Its a 92 chevy regular cab truck. He bought a Kicker solobaric L7 sub, and he is using a Rockford Fosgate 2400 amp.
How should I go about building a ported box? :confused:

ROZ
04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
So he has a p8002? Which L7? Will it even fit back there?

NOTALENT
04-01-2005, 12:46 PM
no way it will fit back..there..theres not enough depth unless he remounts the seat or scoots it up all the way...plus the air space right???

STV_Keith
04-01-2005, 01:28 PM
If it doesn't fit, let me know. I still have a box sitting from when I had a std cab Dodge. Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 in it. $125, come pick it up. Was used for 3 months.
Sub Box Pics (http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/sub-box/index.htm)

ROZ
04-01-2005, 01:52 PM
no way it will fit back..there..theres not enough depth unless he remounts the seat or scoots it up all the way...plus the air space right???
Depends on the size of speaker... The 8L7 would fit....
Keith, looks like a well constructed box.

rivercrazy
04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I may be interested in that Keith if Greaser ain't

Greaser
04-02-2005, 07:13 AM
So he has a p8002? Which L7? Will it even fit back there?
Not sure, I'll ask him

Greaser
04-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I asked my lil bro which one it was, and he said it was the s10L74-1.
IDK, Back in my day, it wasnt tat complicated. You just get some speakers and some wood, and build a box.

ROZ
04-02-2005, 05:11 PM
still not that difficult, but getting that speaker the correct ported enclosure may be a challenge... I think you need about 1.75 ft^3 plus the port dimensions... No program here while on vavation.... You can try termpro to get the measurements for both port(s) and box...

Greaser
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but whats tempro?

ROZ
04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
www.termpro.com There should be a couple enclosure programs there to use...

h2oski2fast
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
You can squeeze about 1.5 cubic feet of box behind that seat. I wouldn't recommend a ported enclosure, for the simple fact that there is no place to put the port that would be effective. The port should never have any obstructions within the distance of the diameter of the port. Meaning if the port is a 3'' port, then there should not be anything covering the port closer than 3" from the port, otherwise it will intefer with the functionality of the port. I would say build a sealed enclosure, and keep in mind that the correct airspace is needed to get the optimum frequency response from the speaker.

cruser
04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I am building a box for my sub and am wondering if, when figuring out the volume of the box, do I subtract the volume of the sub? In other words, I can easily calcuate the dimensions required to get a box that has an interior volume that the speaker manufacturer says is required if I ignore the space the speaker occupies. However I am wondering, since the speaker is inserted into the box, should I increase the volume of the box to account for the area the speaker displaces. The instructions say the speaker requires 1^3 foot including the volume of the speaker.

STV_Keith
04-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Yes, the airspace is deminished by the volume that the sub occupies.

h2oski2fast
04-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Usually the speaker takes up approximately .03-.04 cbft. Also don't forget to figure in the displacement of the bracing if any is used. If you are building a ported enclosure, which I don't recommend for a beginner, you also have to factor in the port displacement.
Some design parameters from manufacturers include the speaker displacement in their box volume.

motocrossguy25
04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Usually the speaker takes up approximately .03-.04 cbft. Also don't forget to figure in the displacement of the bracing if any is used. If you are building a ported enclosure, which I don't recommend for a beginner, you also have to factor in the port displacement.
Some design parameters from manufacturers include the speaker displacement in their box volume.
i dont really think the l7 whould fit and if it did the air space whould be off big time those solo subs need the air space to breath if you know what i me i whould switch subs

ROZ
04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Cruser, What sub are you using? I know the amps, but don't remember the sub....
Chances are that what H20 says here is right on....

cruser
04-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Roz,
Infinity 120.3vdc sub. Built the box at just a bit more than 1^3 ft. I thjink it's probably close enough that I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.
cruzer

h2oski2fast
04-14-2005, 08:36 AM
i dont really think the l7 whould fit and if it did the air space whould be off big time those solo subs need the air space to breath if you know what i me i whould switch subs
I think you misread. I was commenting on the displacement of the speaker, not the actual air space needed for the enclosure. And, your right about the L7 needing more air space. The 12L7 needs from .88 - 2.0 cu.ft.

ROZ
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I think you misread. I was commenting on the displacement of the speaker, not the actual air space needed for the enclosure. And, your right about the L7 needing more air space. The 12L7 needs from .88 - 2.0 cu.ft.
And their slogan use to be, "More bass in less space" :D

h2oski2fast
04-14-2005, 01:40 PM
And their slogan use to be, "More bass in less space" :D
Yeah, back then their solos sounded like something out of a cartoon.......boing, boing, boing.