PDA

View Full Version : Timing BBC

mile2885
04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Ok, finally got the boat put back together and running. My issue is that I all I have for timing is an adjustable pointer and the mark on the balancer, no numbers or anything. How do I know when the timing is just right?? Any ideas. We'll assume the engine has a mild cam and other than that it's pretty stock. Thanks for the help! :idea:

BK
04-01-2005, 11:05 PM
You meen theres no #'s on the timing tab?

LVjetboy
04-01-2005, 11:37 PM
If you use tape, scribe some marks on the balancer too...in case the tape comes off.
jer

mile2885
04-02-2005, 12:11 AM
I have been looking for the timing tape but haven't seen any lately. Any ideas where to get it? Thanks.

LVjetboy
04-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Mr Gasket, MSD, Summit, etc...
Here's just one link: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2083&prmenbr=361
The ones I've used typically come off after a short time and end up in pieces in the bilge.
jer

Dana Marine Products
04-02-2005, 08:17 AM
With an adjustable pointer I would suggest double checking your TDC mark. There's a tool that inserts into your #1 spark plug hole, with the tool installed and the adjustable pointer set at zero, you hand turn the motor over until the piston stops on the tool, make a mark on the balancer in accordance to the pointer, then hand turn the engine over the other direction until the piston again makes contact with the tool, make a second mark on the balancer in accordance to the pointer. Then you simply split the difference between the two marks and make a mark exactly in the center of the two and that's your perfect top dead center mark for your balancer. I personally use a timing gun that has the dial adjustment to set total timing. Any time your dealing with a GM style rubber dampened balancer I always double check the TDC mark. Even if the balancer has a line in it, the rubber moves when they get old and it can affect your timing.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
04-02-2005, 09:02 AM
With an adjustable pointer I would suggest double checking your TDC mark. There's a tool that inserts into your #1 spark plug hole, with the tool installed and the adjustable pointer set at zero, you hand turn the motor over until the piston stops on the tool, make a mark on the balancer in accordance to the pointer, then hand turn the engine over the other direction until the piston again makes contact with the tool, make a second mark on the balancer in accordance to the pointer. Then you simply split the difference between the two marks and make a mark exactly in the center of the two and that's your perfect top dead center mark for your balancer. I personally use a timing gun that has the dial adjustment to set total timing. Any time your dealing with a GM style rubber dampened balancer I always double check the TDC mark. Even if the balancer has a line in it, the rubber moves when they get old and it can affect your timing.
I second that. It's the only way to take the varitables out. Don't worry about inital timing, just set the total. Budlight