PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

Kachina26
04-02-2005, 08:42 AM
What is a K boat?

Moneypitt
04-02-2005, 09:03 AM
April fools day was yesterday. But, I'll try anyway. A K boat is a heavier SS type flat bottom with a 500 (?) cu in limit, alcohol is allowed, and a blower. The APBA just about killed the class when they mandadated capsules, the west coast guys said no to the capsule rule, and the class has about died as far as APBA goes. The IHBA has startred running the Super Stock circle boats at their drag events, and more recently, the K boats, (without APBA, or capsules) have also been adding to the show at the drag events. They are awesome to watch, as are the SSers, and will run in the "shit" (rough water) that the drag guys can't. The Ks mentioned here are also the "Needles Ks", a group that gets together at Needles and plays with their boats.......Some of them actually race,(IHBA) and some don't. It is quite a sight and sound to see and hear, nothing like a K to wake you up in the morning, and thats just the pulsating idle!!!!!!.............MP

Jordy
04-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Like a Superstock but better. ;)
K's typically run blown injected alcohol with bigger displacement versus the carbed 427 ci limited n/a engines that are run in the SS class. They're also much faster in the straights, but tend to be a little slower in the turns. :D
That's just a ballpark generalization, feel free to pick it away. Figured I'd give you a little bit of an idea to get you started. :D

BIGCHRIS
04-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Like a Superstock but better. ;)
K's typically run blown injected alcohol with bigger displacement versus the carbed 427 ci limited n/a engines that are run in the SS class. They're also much faster in the straights, but tend to be a little slower in the turns. :D
That's just a ballpark generalization, feel free to pick it away. Figured I'd give you a little bit of an idea to get you started. :D
Hey what kind of horsepower difference are there between the to boats

dossangers
04-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Almost as much as a PFAFF s/s motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhea :hammerhea

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
A "K" is one of many sprint boat (circle racing) classes set up by the American power boat association (APBA). The APBA has been around for about 100 years.
The "K" class was revived in 1968 by a handfull of guys that wanted an unlimited circle class. By 69 there were 70+ teams.
All the flatbottom classes run the same hull rules with the faster classes usually laying up a heavier boat (owners discrepancy).
The boat hulls must be true flats (although runnerbottoms were legal at one time) and are generally 17'10" long. There are rules layed out for strake & chine depths as well as bottom shape and boat length.
The most successful circle hull is the Biesemeyer or copy of (Revenge, D'Cucci, Temptation, several molds that were never named etc. etc.) If you go to the races tomorrow thats what you'll see.
Since the class started and before, its allways been common to see circle races at the drags and vice versa. The K class has had its ups and downs over the years and recently underwent a capsule rule mandate by the APBA. The east coast teams welcomed it but the west coast did not so they found a way to race outside of APBA. Most of the APBA rules remain with the exception of capsules and a new engine size restriction of 475 ci.
These supercharged boats burn methanol and make around 1500 horsepower. The course is supposed to be 5 miles in total length with one lap being 1 mile. The IHBA races currently have been 3 lap races while they build the class. Back east they run a larger (sweeping turn) course.
They look a lot like the more recognizeable drag boat counterpart but normally run the motor forward (like a jetboat) enabling a right rotation propeller, this aids in turning left faster.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/2356Lance_K-69.jpg

Kachina26
04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks, I didn't realize it was a racing class. I thought it was a hull design. :idea: I appreciate the education. :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Heres some old stuff from 1972...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/2356long_beach_72.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/2356program.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/235672_k_s.jpg