PDA

View Full Version : So I am watching Boyd Coddingtons's Hotrod show...

Mandelon
04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
And I have to say I would never think of buying one of this crew's handywork. What a bunch of misfit retards.....
One screwup after another.....I can't believe anyone would trust a vehicle coming from these guys..... :confused:

73kona455
04-02-2005, 05:13 PM
i have thought the same thing... and Orange County Chopper is about the same... if it doesnt fit.. get a bigger hammer

Daytona100
04-02-2005, 05:13 PM
That show is a joke. Duanne the shop manager is a piece of SHIT. After they jacked the guy who spent a fortune on the vett I lost interest. When you spend upwards of a 100k on a project you should get it the way you want it. That crew NIGGERS everything. :hammerhea

phebus
04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
There is an article in todays O.C. Register on how Boyd has been charged, and is going to plead guilty to DMV fraud. It is a misdemeanor, and it says they have plea bargained a fine and community service.

moneypit
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Hmmm and the whole time I thought they were actors. :D :D

Mandelon
04-02-2005, 09:21 PM
They sure ain't craftsmen........ :hammerhea

bigerich
04-02-2005, 09:24 PM
You know, I was thinking the same thing. Watching the show the other week, I found out that Chip Foose used to work for Boyd, and it seems to me that Chip puts out a better product in a week on Overhaulin, than Boyd does on a project they have a month or more on.

Dr. Eagle
04-02-2005, 09:39 PM
i have thought the same thing... and Orange County Chopper is about the same... if it doesnt fit.. get a bigger hammer
I don't know, I kind of think the guys at OCC are comparative brain surgeons compared to the clowns at Boyd Coddingtons place. I wouldn't pay for one of those "custom" hot rods made by a bunch of losers that used to ride the short bus to school... :p
I can't believe that the show is good for his business... :confused:

Boatcop
04-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I sent Boyd's crew an email asking about their wheels, and whether Tire Pressure Monitors would work in them, application, etc.
Their reply was basically telling me to F%#& Off.
F%#& ME?
No, F%#&YOU!

Sherpa
04-03-2005, 06:51 AM
their main painter Charley left after just not wanting to deal with Boyd and
Dwayne's crap anymore........... he would do all-nighters to buy them some
time to complete projects.................... Boyd just doesn't seem to be able
to humbly thank & reward people for their extra efforts.......... BTW,
Charley went to work for Chip Foose..................
--Sherpa

Lightning
04-03-2005, 07:55 AM
their main painter Charley left after just not wanting to deal with Boyd and
Dwayne's crap anymore........... he would do all-nighters to buy them some
time to complete projects.................... Boyd just doesn't seem to be able
to humbly thank & reward people for their extra efforts.......... BTW,
Charley went to work for Chip Foose..................
--Sherpa
I saw that episode, it was pretty intersting. I have be surprised that he has such a crew of idiots working for him. You would figure a guy like that could hire the cream of the crop.

Tom Brown
04-03-2005, 09:07 AM
It seems to me, that's pretty much how things go in a mechanical shop. Sure, Duane is an asshole but he keeps the projects on track. While they have a revolving door of fresh employees, they hadn't missed a deadline until this last one.
The cars themselves seem to always turn out amazing so I can't criticize their process beyond thinking, “holy shit... I would never work there.”
I was happy to hear Charley left. Boyd isn't a guy who is easy to feel sorry for.

Mandelon
04-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Seems like he'd be better off hiring some quality guys and paying better money than those chuckleheads.....can't be good for business.
Maybe he tells folks that crew is only for the show? There's got to be other guys there? There is always a dozen cars around. They only seem to screw up one at a time.... :D

RitcheyRch
04-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I know of a few people that have been to Boyd's shop and were treated like total crap for wanting to look at the cars. Basically, if you dont have money hanging out of your pockets he doesnt want you in his shop.

mexrunner
04-03-2005, 02:17 PM
ive worked on one of boyd's cars once in a shop i was working at what a compleat ass! would never help him out again the finished cars are very nice though and most of the guys that work for him are very talented. they just dont have the experience that comes with time. many guys seem to use him as a steping stone to a better shop or their own buisness. besides no one that is established in the hot rod industry will put up with his s@&* no matter how much he would pay them just my .02

Tom Brown
04-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Seems like he'd be better off hiring some quality guys and paying better money than those chuckleheads.....can't be good for business.
That's how I'd do it also but then I'm not a successful hot rod builder so who am I to judge him?
I'd hire Thomas, Mike, and Al. I'd also hire Roy because he makes me laugh. :D

RiverOtter
04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I wonder if the people that take delivery of their cars and THEN watch the series on how their $100,000+ car was put together ask for their money back :skull:

NorCal Gameshow
04-03-2005, 04:20 PM
charley, the painter did nice work. I haven't seen many of the shows but he worked some magic on a shoebox chebby

78Anthonyjet
04-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I was watching RIDES today, they had Chip Foose on there doing some god stuff to some new Caddies, any way Charley was on there painting, seemed to be a lot happier than he ever was on American Hot Rod. Just wondering if Charley will show up on OVERHALIN.

mike37
04-03-2005, 05:44 PM
And I have to say I would never think of buying one of this crew's handywork. What a bunch of misfit retards.....
One screwup after another.....I can't believe anyone would trust a vehicle coming from these guys..... :confused:
gotta agree with ya on that cant believe the shit they do to get a car finished

Jbb
04-03-2005, 05:50 PM
On the episode I watched last night ...The Frame builder/setup guy with the big mustache quit.......where is Boyds shop located...I want to send a resume... :D

RitcheyRch
04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Boyd is in Orange County somewhere. I thought was close to Johns Custom Marine.
On the episode I watched last night ...The Frame builder/setup guy with the big mustache quit.......where is Boyds shop located...I want to send a resume... :D

Tom Brown
04-03-2005, 05:56 PM
That would be Al. I hope Thomas is next.
Brian, I'd like to see you have a go at Duane in an episode titled, "Bang!". :D

Jbb
04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I would make duane my bitch ...immediately.....day one ....I hope the cameras are rolling on the day its hot and he is berating one of those guys and the guy nuts up and beats him to a pulp...BANG! :hammer2:

coolchange
04-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Ahhh, Automobile restoration-the ILLUSION of perfection.
Boyds an ass IMHO, a thieving lying one.
His guys are pretty good but the show plays them off. Glad Charlie left, liked the part were Boyd says "I took you in, you lived in my house, I treated you like my own son, now get the **** out and don't ever come back you back stabbing piece of ****"!!!! Even though Blubear was an ass for not doing what he wanted to get a car, I have to givve him props for standing up for his idea.
They wanteed to bring one of those shows into the shop where I work, everyone said "OK I quit!!!!"

slowinhavasu
04-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Ahhh, Automobile restoration-the ILLUSION of perfection.
Boyds an ass IMHO, a thieving lying one.
His guys are pretty good but the show plays them off. Glad Charlie left, liked the part were Boyd says "I took you in, you lived in my house, I treated you like my own son, now get the **** out and don't ever come back you back stabbing piece of ****"!!!! Even though Blubear was an ass for not doing what he wanted to get a car, I have to givve him props for standing up for his idea.
They wanteed to bring one of those shows into the shop where I work, everyone said "OK I quit!!!!"
What was Charlie doing in his house for two years to have Boyds wife so upset ???? Taking care of some business Boyd couldn't ???
Didn't Boyds Comp. that was publicly traded file for a BK a few years back, and Boyd still has a ton of dough !!!????

phebus
04-03-2005, 07:17 PM
He used to be in Stanton, but he is now in La Habra, Ca.

wsuwrhr
04-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Didn't Boyds Comp. that was publicly traded file for a BK a few years back, and Boyd still has a ton of dough !!!????
I think the wheel manufacturing division of the company is what went BK.
Brian

BarryMac
04-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Boyd is a dick, Duane is a complete Asshole and Charlie is much better off going to Foose. I can't watch that show anymore, I get irritated with the way these guys work around the cars...

LOWRIVER2
04-04-2005, 06:06 AM
I have lots of friends that have known Boyd for years. He has a long history of not paying for parts ordered and treating employees who deliver parts he ordered like shit. I'm glad everyone knows what he's like now. The way Duane spoke to the Brea motor cop spoke volume's about that guy's "little man" syndrome. The show where Duane was "jerry rigging" the wiring harness for that Mustang should scare enough potential customers away on that episode alone.

roostwear
04-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Charley originally wanted to work with Chip on the Riddler and come back to the shop after painting it, but he knew Boyd would go sideways with just the mention of Chip's name. Charley is better off with Chip, and yes, Boyd does business differently than others. Boyd is Boyd, and anyone that deals with him knows what to expect.
As far as the "quality" of the work, there's a lot that happens that most people don't see on tv.
As far as the DMV deal, what Boyd did is a common practice, and the state has recently been getting tougher with builders. Big deal, he pays $3,000, and "community service".