PDA

View Full Version : Auto Detail question.....wax on.... wax not off...

Mandelon
04-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I had a little helper help me wax my truck a few weeks ago.
We got some wax on the plastic fender flares......it has little micro texture and the wax seems to be stuck in em. Black on Black with little wax specs no looky so good.
How do I get the wax out off of those fender flares??

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-03-2005, 03:10 PM
We got some wax on the plastic fender flares......it has little micro texture and the wax seems to be stuck in em. Black on Black with little wax specs no looky so good.
I use soap and water with a fine toothbrush. :rollside:

ahhell
04-03-2005, 03:11 PM
toothbrush and water worked for me

Kachina26
04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I like windex and a toothbrush for that. Isn't it nice having "help" :cry:

Jbb
04-03-2005, 03:20 PM
You are never...ever gonna get it off
Remove the flares scuff them lightly witha gray scotch brite pad....wash with soap and water ...dry... clean with PPG DX-330 wax and grease remover...let dry ...paint with appropriate color spray can paint...the paint ..available anywhere auto paint is sold ...is made in spray can form ...and its made by SEM...if black use either...trim black...or bumper coat black.....re install flares....never let it happen again.. :)

Tom Brown
04-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I'll tell you what I would try....
If you've ever spilled gin on a floor, you know it strips the hell out of floor wax. In fact, it works far better than any commercial wax stripper that I've tried but I think I only tried one. My experience with it was that you could leave it on for about 15~20 seconds and then wipe off the wax with one swipe. It might discolor your flare, I don't know.
... so I'd try some gin on a toothbrush, as per Mrs. Vee, before breaking out the Krylon.

cc322
04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
toothbrush and a cleaner like simple green, then reapply vinyl dressing. Next time tape off the fenders

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh and Mandelon.. as soon as your done.. get to my truck.. thanx. :D :D

moneypit
04-03-2005, 04:00 PM
I'll tell you what I would try....
If you've ever spilled gin on a floor, you know it strips the hell out of floor wax. In fact, it works far better than any commercial wax stripper that I've tried but I think I only tried one. My experience with it was that you could leave it on for about 15~20 seconds and then wipe off the wax with one swipe. It might discolor your flare, I don't know.
... so I'd try some gin on a toothbrush, as per Mrs. Vee, before breaking out the Krylon.
I would rather have the stain then waste the gin...what R U Crazy?

rrrr
04-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm surprised Brown was conscious enough to know he spilled the gin.
:crossx:
Try this stuff:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/microfiber-products-online_1840_20981726
It works pretty good when used with a toothbrush.

NorCal Gameshow
04-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I would rather have the stain then waste the gin...what R U Crazy?
:D :D :D
I had the same problem went with the bumper paint...
hank says :
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:egIIxebWgDMJ:www.nhra.com/2004/news/march/images/hankcar.jpg
a propane torch will fix it

Mandelon
04-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Bombay or Tanqueray......? :supp:
Its an 04 Silverado, the stupid flares have a thirsty texture.....
Toothbrush and a good cleaner.....
tape of next time fo shizzle.
Thanx.
And Mrs V, if you bring it, I'll wax it. But bring your thong and pasties......and a beach chair. I know it will take me allll day. ;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Its an 04 Silverado, the stupid flares have a thirsty texture.....
Toothbrush and a good cleaner.....
tape of next time fo shizzle.
Thanx.
And Mrs V, if you bring it, I'll wax it. But bring your thong and pasties......and a beach chair. I know it will take me allll day. ;)
well since you are waxing I will be compfy sitting in the chair while you where my thong and pasties. :idea: :D :D

Beer-30
04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
That back-to-black stuff will probably save you. Any of the "trim-black" chemicals should do it.
I just hit those areas (bumper steps, flares, trim strips) with whatever I am dressing the tires with. Works great. I agree, you will probably not get it off/out, just cover it with something that will last a few washes at a time.

Mandelon
04-03-2005, 05:06 PM
well since you are waxing I will be compfy sitting in the chair while you where my thong and pasties. :idea: :D :D
Wait a minute....that was NOT my plan.... :D But I like the way you think... :devil: :devil: :devil:

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Wait a minute....that was NOT my plan.... :D But I like the way you think... :devil: :devil: :devil:
woo hoo.. mandys gonna wax my truck in my thong. :D :D :D

Mandelon
04-03-2005, 05:08 PM
woo hoo.. mandys gonna wax my truck in my thong. :D :D :D
Only if we are both wearing it!! :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Only if we are both wearing it!! :D
ROTFLMAO!! :D

Tom Brown
04-03-2005, 05:15 PM
I will point out that Jetboat Brian is a professional body man and has taught me much of what I know about body work. I'd be surprised if, at the end of the day, he turned out to be wrong.
All I'm saying is that I'd try some snake oil before painting the flares. If it were mine, I'd even try some naptha (white gas... camping fuel). That stuff will pull stains out of vinyl seating that you wouldn't think possible and interior vinyl is fairly porous. The only trick is not to leave it on too long or it will discolor the plastic.
Let us know how the thong works out.

Jbb
04-03-2005, 05:57 PM
I will point out that Jetboat Brian is a professional body man and has taught me much of what I know about body work. I'd be surprised if, at the end of the day, he turned out to be wrong.
All I'm saying is that I'd try some snake oil before painting the flares. If it were mine, I'd even try some naptha (white gas... camping fuel). That stuff will pull stains out of vinyl seating that you wouldn't think possible and interior vinyl is fairly porous. The only trick is not to leave it on too long or it will discolor the plastic.
Let us know how the thong works out.
Ok whats this gonna cost me ...Tom....Oh ..and for the record....I got this one in the bag.....lol... :cool: :wink:

Tom Brown
04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
..and for the record....I got this one in the bag.....lol... :cool: :wink:
Yeah... I figured you had been there, done that, a bunch of times. I hate to admit that you might be right, though. :D
Seriously though, gin is an amazing dewaxer and naptha is an amazing vinyl cleaner. Have you ever tried either of these?

Jbb
04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah... I figured you had been there, done that, a bunch of times. I hate to admit that you might be right, though. :D
Seriously though, gin is an amazing dewaxer and naptha is an amazing vinyl cleaner. Have you ever tried either of these?
I avoid alcohol......Its where I met my..........demons...... :jawdrop:

Mandelon
04-03-2005, 06:02 PM
We go through a lot of gin around here. :wink:

SOCALDETAIL1
04-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Any kind of a bumper gel will get it off, Don't use any harsh cleaners or de-greasers that will only make it worse and turn them white. Keep them well oiled, once they dry out they turn white. Next time use a little painters tape and mask them off.

I Feel the Need...
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
one word "Adams Polishes" http://www.adamspolishes.com/