PDA

View Full Version : RWYB Damage

revndave
04-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Going about 75 and this happened
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/RWYB05/RWYB050006/images/DSCN9417RWYB05resize.jpg

revndave
04-03-2005, 06:07 PM
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/RWYB05/RWYB050006/images/DSCN9424RWYB05resize.jpg

MikeF
04-03-2005, 06:12 PM
At least it it "still" attached and not at the bottom of the lake! ;) :D
Did the pins fall out or the droop break?

clownpuncher
04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Bummer. Did it at least happen at the end of the day?

revndave
04-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Found out today the steering and shifter cables are wasted too.It landed in the boat with out hitting the back of the boat :) Droop broke :confused:

revndave
04-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Bummer. Did it at least happen at the end of the day?
Ya at end of day.Was getting ready to whined it up in front of camp.

dmontzsta
04-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Damn that really sucks Dave, sorry to hear about that. Atleast it didnt ding that beautiful paint job.

MikeF
04-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Glad it did not do any other damage! (can imagine that thing flying over and puncturing your fuel inj tank! :jawdrop: )
And for the "MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION"...........What kind of droop was that? (sorry, had to ask... :idea: and will/could it be warranteed?!)

Raskal
04-03-2005, 07:49 PM
my buddy blew a head gasket today about 10 mins after we launched . :cry:

Jake W2
04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
:( Holy sheit.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
04-03-2005, 08:50 PM
So Dave how much presure are you really creating ????
It sure seems that that impeller that Tom Papp did is working beyond the capability of the other parts.
Who's Droop was that ???
Jim

FOURQ
04-03-2005, 08:54 PM
http://southwindjetboats.com/d1.JPG
http://southwindjetboats.com/d4.JPG
http://southwindjetboats.com/d5.JPG
http://southwindjetboats.com/d2.JPG
http://southwindjetboats.com/d3.JPG
there ya go a few more .. thanks for the ride dave sorry it broke when it did i wanted the burndown pass but was still badass blowin through the chop at the speed we were...
Shawn

revndave
04-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Doesnt matter whos it was.I broke another companies droop on my old boat,but that was with gate closed and reving motor.Both company names start with A. Im just glad boat didnt do anything funny.

revndave
04-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Nice Pics. :d

Squirtin Thunder
04-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Doesnt matter whos it was.I broke another companies droop on my old boat,but that was with gate closed and reving motor.Both company names start with A.
It seems that you keep breaking parts with all that Power you got !!!
Who built your engine ??? (spam)
Im just glad boat didnt do anything funny
That is for sure !!!
It landed in the boat with out hitting the back of the boat when Droop broke
Do you feel lucky ???
No matter what happend at the end of the day, Did you have a good time ???
In this pic you look way too happy to have broke some parts !!!
http://southwindjetboats.com/d4.JPG
Jim

revndave
04-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Some shop in Michigan built motor.I did have a good time. :D

Nucking futs
04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Me too Dave, thanks for the burn down infront of cranes.Real nice ride you have there, just watch the oil pressure, it held all day at 25 psi...lol
Tim

revndave
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Me too Dave, thanks for the burn down infront of cranes.Real nice ride you have there, just watch the oil pressure, it held all day at 25 psi...lol
Tim
Sender is bad.You're welcome Tim :D

jweeks123
04-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Doesnt matter whos it was...... Im just glad boat didnt do anything funny.you lost your steering at speed, and it "doesn't matter".
i'm glad for you that the boat didn't do anything funny, but what if you had to alter course to avoid another boat just as that part broke...
jw

moneysucker
04-04-2005, 05:04 AM
And with the red insert in the diverter too! you weren't choking it down too far. Just quit dragging the nozzle leaving the drive thru's and you won't have this problem. JK, That sucks. Like you said It could have been ugly especially at top speed. Lucky it cleared the transom, hope it didn't scratch or dent the aluminum.
Cy

Foggerjet
04-04-2005, 05:12 AM
Hey Dave, Glad all is OK. By the look of the smiles you took it all in stride, If you don't mind my asking, what is the deal with the holley float bowl on that tank in the back of the motor?
fog

wsuwrhr
04-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Bummer deal.
At least noone got hurt, paint jobs are fine.
Scratch another mark for "Billet is King"
I hate castings.
Good to see everything alright.
How was the ride with no steering?
Brian

BarryMac
04-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Wow, sorry to see that it broke, I can see that you have a good sense of humor though, your smiling in every picture... :D

moneysucker
04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey Dave, Glad all is OK. By the look of the smiles you took it all in stride, If you don't mind my asking, what is the deal with the holley float bowl on that tank in the back of the motor?
fog
That is a surge tank for the injection and it is filled by an electric pump from the gunnel tanks and the float bowls keep the tank from over flowing. That is what I have on mine. Correct me if I am wrong dave. Looks like I missed a good time.
Cy

flat broke
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Dave,
Sorry to hear about the breakage. But definitely glad to hear that nothing else got hurt and she slowed down safely. Billet deal next? :D
Chris

Scape Goat
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM
You are not the only one, my main power supply line went dead in the middle of the lake. no bilge, blower nothing. so we all know v drives allways take on alittle water after awhile I became nervous since most boaters were running close to land. one all white jet boat came by said he will send the coast guard/ranger, since he had no rope connections, eventually we hitch a ride from a member.forgot his name but I would like it for you to pm me if possible.
I have much gratitude for this guy, the line broke twice and he still kept helping,
if you are this guy pm me.
brian

FOURQ
04-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Bummer deal.
At least noone got hurt, paint jobs are fine.
Scratch another mark for "Billet is King"
I hate castings.
Good to see everything alright.
How was the ride with no steering?
Brian
as far as my experiance with no stering it was fine till he looked over and told me and i was thinking BS it was still going straight ..i didnt really notice any change from the pasengers seat...

MikeF
04-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Anyone have any ideas of why it cracked and broke in a twisting fashion? Are the holes drilled through the casting when finishing or are they part of the mold (aluminum flows around)? I have not got any good ideas yet. :rolleyes:

Big Proppa
04-05-2005, 06:56 AM
75? come on ! that's pretty fast for a jet boat :D :D
What's up revn looks like you guys had a great time, wished I could have made it

roostwear
04-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I have a question about this....
Is this fresh powdercoat/paint? There are no fresh marks from the nozzle swinging left/right. On my pumps, the nozzle seal creates a wear pattern from turning indicating the nozzle is sealing in the socket, but I don't see that here. Or are all my pumps jacked?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-05-2005, 07:14 AM
did the pump unload and reload just before the carnage?? could this be caused by the water hammer effect? I know in industrial applications when we get 'slugs' bad things can happen and entire pipe racks have been torn apart by it.
Can unloading and then rapid loaiding a pump at high speed cause the same situation? I am simply exploring a theory......
Omega

roostwear
04-05-2005, 07:16 AM
For whatever reason, it appears the bottom broke first. The broken section of the bottom pin boss is greater than 180 degrees, while the top pin boss is not. Did something hit the bottom of the nozzle breaking the lower boss, and causing the upper pin to exit by cocking to the rear and at an angle?

1HOTGMCJET
04-05-2005, 07:39 AM
I have a question about this....
Is this fresh powdercoat/paint? There are no fresh marks from the nozzle swinging left/right. On my pumps, the nozzle seal creates a wear pattern from turning indicating the nozzle is sealing in the socket, but I don't see that here. Or are all my pumps jacked?
Just an observation here, but I noticed what appears to be a metal to metal wear pattern in the upper and lower pin holes as well - were the pin bushings (properly) in place when the nozzle was installed? The extra play in the pin sockets could definitely cause some "hammering" under a load, then cause fracture? Not sure how (or if) that relates to the above comment/observation, though..... Glad everyone's OK regardless....Good Luck!

Nucking futs
04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Just an observation here, but I noticed what appears to be a metal to metal wear pattern in the upper and lower pin holes as well - were the pin bushings (properly) in place when the nozzle was installed? The extra play in the pin sockets could definitely cause some "hammering" under a load, then cause fracture? Not sure how (or if) that relates to the above comment/observation, though..... Glad everyone's OK regardless....Good Luck!
On the the holes where the pins go, they would need to be reemed out so the bushings would go in.
Roost, the pump is fairly new and if the o-ring was doing its job and sealing correctly, the only thing that would show signs of wear would be time or if you liked to run sand through the pump like when it is beached.
I watched this whole thing happen.I was abot 50' away and was of course behind him when it happened.The boat never came out of the water when this occured and the pump was loaded.I went for a 95mph burn down run with dave right before this happened.I was running next to him in some pretty good chop and we were running about 60-65 down the middle of Elsinore and it really never unloaded the pump but it could of been a fracture from the get go.
I tend to believe that it could of been a casting flaw of some sort and it does look as though it did twist when it broke.But if you think about it, the tiller arm and cables would have held it together when it snapped and that could be the twisted looking break.
Just my opinoin and im no pro.
Also when it did break the boat set down real straight and dave did stay in the gas and rode it out for about 100 yards.
Dave has a real nice ride and im glad he paid me for the tow in before it broke.Oh and Dave , if your going to break make sure you get a bigger cooler,you were out of beer before we hit the beach.....
Tim

flat broke
04-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Tim,
Not to hi-jack the thread, but did that Vector show up? Did anyone get any other pics from the weekend besides busted stuff?
Chris

Squeezing Spectra
04-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I saw a schiada but not a vector

Nucking futs
04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
No vector? I got smoked by a vector that was out there.It was early like 10 am. Red and white one!
But no Chris he was a now show, he was at the bar with us Friday night and said he was going but who knows, hes a v-drive guy..... :)
Tim

revndave
04-05-2005, 01:25 PM
I'll make sure i have beer. :D

fourspeednup
04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Tim,
Not to hi-jack the thread, but did that Vector show up? Did anyone get any other pics from the weekend besides busted stuff?
Chris
There's a whole grip of pics here...
RWYB 05 pics (http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003570)

flat broke
04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks!

Duke
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
You are not the only one, my main power supply line went dead in the middle of the lake. no bilge, blower nothing. so we all know v drives allways take on alittle water after awhile I became nervous since most boaters were running close to land. one all white jet boat came by said he will send the coast guard/ranger, since he had no rope connections, eventually we hitch a ride from a member.forgot his name but I would like it for you to pm me if possible.
I have much gratitude for this guy, the line broke twice and he still kept helping,
if you are this guy pm me.
brian
sent you a pm. :rollside: :rollside: