PDA

View Full Version : External Steering

nextasex
04-03-2005, 07:47 PM
I think I finally have enough sideway outdrive play to invest in at least a single ram steering system. I checked the two nuts at the outdrive and they were tight. The boat is a 2002 26 Lavey. The drive can be moved by hand about 1.5-2 inches to each side, and boat does NOT go straight in the channel, constantly adjusting left and right. That being said, I think I want to do external steering. Can I get some edumacation on these steering systems? What are my options and who in Havasu can you recommend to do the job? Thanks again,
Frank ;)

kevnmcd
04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Frank - Although not in Havasu, WPM just put a single on mine. I will be out next weekend to see how it does. Tom is great to work with. You might give him a call.
I am dealing with the same thing as you in the no wake zones...can't keep it straight. I am also having a lot of torque steer at the higher RPM's. Tom told me that this would probably help a little but to solve the problem completely, I will need to go full hydraulic. Maybe next year for the helm, for now this is all I got. :D
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-7-85983-IMG_0586.JPG

kevnmcd
04-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Here is the website (http://www.wpmracing.com/home.htm)

nextasex
04-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Kevin, thanks! I hate towing this is why it's gotta stay in Havasu.
Thanks,
Frank

team 933
04-03-2005, 08:36 PM
the tiller arm has to be replaced or tightened before cable external steering will work and stay tight

Havasu47
04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Frank, either the gimbal ring is worn where the steering pin rides or the clamping bolt is loose on the steering arm (which could cause the steering arm to be worn also). Fix the problem before adding external steering.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-03-2005, 10:07 PM
IMCO dual hydraulic to the helm....love it.....
Aaron at Absoulte will do it !!!!!!
Later,
CJG
:D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1780SHAKEN.JPG

bunny 166
04-03-2005, 10:19 PM
We're with Chris---IMCO dual hydraulic for us, too.....One of these weeks!!! :hammer2: :hammer2: http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066IMG_0904.JPG

Havasu_Dreamin
04-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm sure Aaron at Absolute can do the job. 928-855-2252

kevnmcd
04-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Not to knock IMCO, but SS braided hoses are standard on the WPM for less $$ too. :D

kevnmcd
04-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Frank, either the gimbal ring is worn where the steering pin rides or the clamping bolt is loose on the steering arm (which could cause the steering arm to be worn also). Fix the problem before adding external steering.
Frank - Havasu47 is right, have you tried tightening everthing up first to see it is not anything like that? You might have it check out by a professional if your not sure....might save some $$$?

nextasex
04-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys/gal, I just called and left a message with Aaron at Absolute Marine.
Frank :)

pixilatedpussy
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM
I think I finally have enough sideway outdrive play to invest in at least a single ram steering system. I checked the two nuts at the outdrive and they were tight. The boat is a 2002 26 Lavey. The drive can be moved by hand about 1.5-2 inches to each side, and boat does NOT go straight in the channel, constantly adjusting left and right. That being said, I think I want to do external steering. Can I get some edumacation on these steering systems? What are my options and who in Havasu can you recommend to do the job? Thanks again,
Frank ;)
Hey I saw ya in the channel this weekend!!!!!!!!! Right??? :p

shadow
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm sure Aaron at Absolute can do the job. 928-855-2252
No doubt Aaron @ Absolute can take care of you. Aaron will check everything throughly and advise you on nessacary repairs,not just slap on a ram and send you down the road.It will be done right the first time.

Mandelon
04-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Low speed wander is normal on a vee. The deeper the vee the worse it is. Once it starts to get to one side it just continues. Its normal. Make an effort to correct less and not over correct, just slight steering inputs.
If its actually loose, then by all means correct it....but I didn't think you needed hydraulic steering until you were regularly running 75 or faster...

CJ
04-05-2005, 04:37 PM
IMCO dual hydraulic to the helm....love it.....
Shaken, I have the IMCO hydraulic to the helm with 14 hours of experience and not a whole lot of slow driving experience yet as it was mostly winter and no channel wading.
At low RPM's I have yet to get the hang of the feel that it provides. Unlike what Mandelon says, my boat will go straight for hours, I believe due to the hydraulic and no play at the drive. Anyway, I feel like I have to crank it harder to steer it and sometimes, I just can't feel where the drive is, as if I have more turns to get the same steering at low RPM.
Do you feel the same thing at low RPM? I think I just have a lot of getting used to it to do.

nextasex
04-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey I saw ya in the channel this weekend!!!!!!!!! Right??? :p
I was in the channel this Saturday just for a little bit. I think I may have seen your boat as well, just can't tell too much with your small Avatar. :idea:
Frank

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Shaken, I have the IMCO hydraulic to the helm with 14 hours of experience and not a whole lot of slow driving experience yet as it was mostly winter and no channel wading.
At low RPM's I have yet to get the hang of the feel that it provides. Unlike what Mandelon says, my boat will go straight for hours, I believe due to the hydraulic and no play at the drive. Anyway, I feel like I have to crank it harder to steer it and sometimes, I just can't feel where the drive is, as if I have more turns to get the same steering at low RPM.
Do you feel the same thing at low RPM? I think I just have a lot of getting used to it to do.
Hey Chris,
Yea....Mandelon is correct....
You have to learn not to over steer at low speed...
Small inputs.....
I guess I never thought that the low speed "hunting" back-N-forth could be a product of the steering system. I just assumed it was a "V" hull thing.... :idea:
Anyway....I'm use to it.......
Trying to teach my 6.5 year old not to over steer at idle is a different subject.... :notam:
Later,
CJG

phebus
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Whenever the subject of oversteer comes up, I can't help but think about the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and the scene near the end when they go out on the boat, and the camera pans out, and it shows the boats wake all in swirls and circles. Damn I'm old (as I sit here laughing to myself).

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Whenever the subject of oversteer comes up, I can't help but think about the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and the scene near the end when they go out on the boat, and the camera pans out, and it shows the boats wake all in swirls and circles. Damn I'm old (as I sit here laughing to myself).
Man......I LOVE that movie....... :)
Danny Divito as "Martini"....."YES...YES...." :smile:
Classic!!!!!
CJG

Mandelon
04-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey Chris,
Later,
CJG
Thank You.
This is my 4th boat......all V's, all with low speed wander, a wacker, a jet, I/Os....
Man--->enjoys public validation<------delon :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Thank You.
This is my 4th boat......all V's, all with low speed wander, a wacker, a jet, I/Os....
Man--->enjoys public validation<------delon :wink:
My boat doesn't wander. :sleeping:

Essex29
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Chris,
Small inputs.....
I guess I never thought that the low speed "hunting" back-N-forth could be a product of the steering system. I just assumed it was a "V" hull thing.... :idea:
Anyway....I'm use to it.......
Trying to teach my 6.5 year old not to over steer at idle is a different subject.... :notam:
Later,
CJG
...he did pretty good last weekend! ;)

nextasex
04-05-2005, 08:19 PM
wandering sucks!!!

burtandnancy
04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
I've never been in a single engined I/O boat yet that didn't wander thru a marina at idle, stock steering, external steering or not. Don't know the physics of the problem, but I've seen it since TRS days back in the 70's. I highly recommend external steering for anything over 60 MPH, single or dual ram (like the balanced look of dual rams though)...

CJ
04-06-2005, 08:31 AM
When I was asking about low speed turning, I was asking purely due to docking and jockying during a packed channel experience. I will have to get used to the different feel of hydraulic.
Honestly, my boat will go DEAD STRAIGHT through the entire channel with no need for correction, unless someone gets in my way. I thought it impossible, but I swear it's true. If that is supernatural, I'll have to get a second opinion on the matter so you can believe me.

kevnmcd
04-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Chris - Do you have full hydraulic or just external?

dicudmore
04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Frank ;)
these drives always have some side to side play (I checked mine before it ever hit the water :wink: )
but, I did find on a friends Hallett a loose bolt on an arm up in the transom that the access to REALLY SUCKED but 1/2 turn later (and a couple hours of looking for it and accessing it) the side to side play was much reduced and the boat drove considerably different next time out.

Rev. Williams
04-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I have dual rams on my Daytona and it wanders at low speed... It's not as bad as my jet was, but it still needs small corrections.
I'm guessing there is some safety thing involved, thats why they turn in time.... But that's just a guess.

Liquid Courage
04-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Hey Frank, haven't seen you in a while! You going to be out in Havasu for the poker run (04-28)? We'll have to hook up and have a beer. Kelly and I will be on a green/purple/yellow Tiger, wave us down.
As to your hydrolic steering, I think you should really listen to Brian (Havasu47) he's a gooooood mechanic that knows what he's talking about.
By the way, on my Baja I had twin ram hydrolic WPM steering (not to the helm though, just assisted). The boat still had "prop walk" at low speeds but once on plane it was night and day, tracked straight and true. External steering is always a good idea when you're getting over 65mph. In case you throw a steering belt.
Tank
What's up CJ, hows the Eliminator running?? See you in Havasu! :D
W

nextasex
04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Frank, haven't seen you in a while! You going to be out in Havasu for the poker run (04-28)? We'll have to hook up and have a beer. Kelly and I will be on a green/purple/yellow Tiger, wave us down.
As to your hydrolic steering, I think you should really listen to Brian (Havasu47) he's a gooooood mechanic that knows what he's talking about.
By the way, on my Baja I had twin ram hydrolic WPM steering (not to the helm though, just assisted). The boat still had "prop walk" at low speeds but once on plane it was night and day, tracked straight and true. External steering is always a good idea when you're getting over 65mph. In case you throw a steering belt.
Tank
What's up CJ, hows the Eliminator running?? See you in Havasu! :D
W
What's up man! Yeah, it's been a while since I played with you big dogs in the ocean. Now I'm a bigdad of two. I'm getting back in the swing of things now that the babies are a little older. I think I'll be in Havasu that weekend of the PR. I'll try to hook up!
Well, it looks as if I may be going dual Hydraulic steering.. Will post with updates..
Thanks to everyone for your knowledge,
Frank :D

boxscore
04-06-2005, 08:15 PM
I've never been in a single engined I/O boat yet that didn't wander thru a marina at idle, stock steering, external steering or not. Don't know the physics of the problem, ...
The problem is a gradual and steady weight shift from items in the ice chest to the driver. If you stop and re-fill the ice chest (not at the Marina) it'll sometimes fix the wander issue. Good balance is the key.

Liquid Courage
04-07-2005, 10:07 AM
The problem is a gradual and steady weight shift from items in the ice chest to the driver. If you stop and re-fill the ice chest (not at the Marina) it'll sometimes fix the wander issue. Good balance is the key.
:D :D :D I just spit up my coffee!
Frank, congrats on the kids. I'll look for your boat while we're out there.
Tank

burtandnancy
04-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Boxscore, thats the best answer I've yet to hear on the solution to the problem, and in my case you hit it perfectly. I can't seem to keep the cooler filled.

Liquid Courage
04-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Boxscore, thats the best answer I've yet to hear on the solution to the problem, and in my case you hit it perfectly. I can't seem to keep the cooler filled.
Hey, did you guys get a new boat yet? Another Hallet or what??

Havasu_Dreamin
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey, did you guys get a new boat yet? Another Hallet or what??
One would expect Burt to get a Hallett, and only a Hallett, but Nancy wanted something else if I remember correctly.

Liquid Courage
04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
One would expect Burt to get a Hallett, and only a Hallett, but Nancy wanted something else if I remember correctly.
But what's better (Hallet that is) than a 40' Hallet??!! The 50' one they built Terrible Herbst?? They'd be pimpin' that thing for sure!!

burtandnancy
04-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Right now we've got two Halletts, a 24 open bow for the grandkids and a 30' closed bow for us, however the 30 is for sale on Boattrader.com. Yes, Nancy is still looking at the Sunseeker and I like the fractional ownership deal offered in Newport. If we went for that deal, it would fit my lifestyle as they sell the boat in 30 month. I rarely keep a boat for 30 months, but after all, it is a Sunseeker...

RiverToysJas
04-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey Frank!!! What's UP?
Not to hi-jack your thread, but does anyone know what my options are for a dual-ram system (I like balance) ???
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/51lma_rear.jpg
I have not asked Lavey but I fear my exhaust might be in the way!
I'd like to upgrade to the helm so when I someday put more horses under the hatch, the steering will already be ready for it.
RTJas :D

Havasu Hangin'
04-08-2005, 03:58 AM
Not to hi-jack your thread, but does anyone know what my options are for a dual-ram system (I like balance) ???
Put a standoff box on there, and call it a day! :sleeping:

kevnmcd
04-08-2005, 07:27 AM
I have not asked Lavey but I fear my exhaust might be in the way!
RTJas - I think you answered your own question with that statement. Without relocating your exhaust, I don't think you can put or fit any external rams on there. Of course, that is just my uneducated guess. :shift:

burtandnancy
04-08-2005, 07:58 AM
As someone said above, try it with an IMCO stand off box. The rams will be tied to the ears instead of the transom. Better on the boat...

rivercrazy
04-08-2005, 07:59 AM
The only thing you can do is upgrade to IMCO's new transom housing. It has a built in provision for connecting external steering. I've seen a few of them and its very clean looking and doesnt require drilling additional holes in the transom. More money though

RiverToysJas
04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Cool Thanks! I was hoping with for a higher cost alternative, and now I have one. ;) It's all part of boating! :D
How will a stand-off box change or affect the characteristics of ride and handling?

phebus
04-08-2005, 08:36 AM
How does using a standoff box effect the charachteristics of a boat, handling and performance wise?

RiverToysJas
04-08-2005, 08:39 AM
How does using a standoff box effect the charachteristics of a boat, handling and performance wise?
That's a great question! :idea:

Havasu Hangin'
04-08-2005, 08:43 AM
That's a great question! :idea:
It will help you carry the nose...
...if you have the desire to carry your nose.

rivercrazy
04-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Actually, you don't have to go with a standoff box. Check out this assembly....Unless you need to go standoff for more bow lift.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/sterndrives.html

RiverToysJas
04-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Being a "Cab-forward" open-bow design, the more bow lift I can get the better!!!
Actually, you don't have to go with a standoff box. Check out this assembly....Unless you need to go standoff for more bow lift.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/sterndrives.html
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/images/gimbal.gif
That's cool, thanks Dave! The price - "CALL" :idea: That's one of those, "if you have to ask...." situations! LOL! :D
Anyone know the ballpark price on that total set-up?
Sounds like I'd want the standoff box too.$$$. ;)

phebus
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
So, will it will make a DCB ride like a Skater? :D

rivercrazy
04-08-2005, 09:16 AM
RTJ, our exhaust systems are set up similarly. I looked into this and changed my mind after calculating the $$$.
Try a 3 blade Mirage +. Its like visiting a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon.... But for a fraction of the cost! LOL :D