PDA

View Full Version : The value of OP6....

RiverToysJas
04-04-2005, 07:15 AM
On Friday afternoon my number finally came up and I suffered my first ever trailer tire blow out in nearly ten years of towing.
We were on the 15 freeway just past Baker, on our way to Cottonwood Cove when the loud pop was heard and I witnesses large pieces of rubber departing the trailer. We safely made it to the side of the freeway, and inspected the damage. Shredded tire, bent fender, hanging wire, and some missing paint. The boat was untouched, which I was very happy about.
I started to remove my jack from the Tahoe when my wife reminded me we carry RV coverage on our AAA membership. Since we were literally at the foot of the Baker on-ramp, I decided to let them handle it. We called, and I still got the spare off the trailer and ready.
Within 10 minutes a white pick-up pulls in-front of us and stops. We didn't know who it was, just that it was not AAA. Out pops OG OP6'er and one of the founding members of OP6 - Terry "H4215". He was on his way to Vegas, saw us on the side, and stopped to see if he could help! Some of you may also know Terry from his work with So Cal Hot Boats.
We did not need assistance this time, but it was nice to see a friendly face in a potentially bad situation. To me that's the real value of OP6, RWYB, CBBB, and these boards in general. Making relationships and friends that will be there when you really need them.
Thanks Terry, and thanks also to the Waterndog's (who were with us all weekend, and a big help with this sitaution and with the boat in general).
http://rivertoys.com/jason/cottonwood/cottonwood1.jpg
http://rivertoys.com/jason/cottonwood/cottonwood2.jpg
http://rivertoys.com/jason/cottonwood/cottonwood3.jpg
Our old friend H4215!
http://rivertoys.com/jason/cottonwood/cottonwood4.jpg
But we still had great time on the water!!!
http://rivertoys.com/jason/cottonwood/cottonwood5.jpg
Next I guess I have to call Extreme about the tire that was in great shape and should not have blown, as well as the damage it caused.... :(
RTJas :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-04-2005, 07:46 AM
thank God no one was hurt. props to who stopped to help. ;) you don't see many people willing to stop someone in need. Boating families are awesome. ;) :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Really sorry we missed you guys last weekend, Jason. It sux not having decent phone service there. We only have service in front of the restaurant.
Looks like we won't cross paths again until the picnic. Hope your breakfast was good. :D

RiverToysJas
04-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Really sorry we missed you guys last weekend, Jason. It sux not having decent phone service there. We only have service in front of the restaurant.
Looks like we won't cross paths again until the picnic. Hope your breakfast was good. :D
No biggy Angie, we'll hookup again some time. Funny you say that about the cell service @ the restaurant, because that's exactly where I was standing when you called me. We had gotten there probably an hour before, and I had almost walked up to see you guys before we ate, but then we decided just to eat first.
Turn out to be better we didn't go see you actually. We left right after you called, and the run up to Cottonwood was just rough enough to be fun. Boat got some good air a few times as we ran pretty fast over the 2-3 swells. But within an hour, it was 3-4 easy, and it would not have been nearly as fun. ;)
Katherine's was a nice though. I bit chilly running down, but worth the trip, and a good breakfast....
http://rivertoys.com/jason/cottonwood/cottonwood6.jpg

Hallett19
04-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Jason, you cant call AAA when there are other guys there, you have to get your hands dirty, change that bastard out and get underway :D
The boat looks good but I have one question, I'm in the market for a steering wheel and I REALLY like yours', what kind is it ?

RiverToysJas
04-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Jason, you cant call AAA when there are other guys there, you have to get your hands dirty, change that bastard out and get underway :D
The boat looks good but I have one question, I'm in the market for a steering wheel and I REALLY like yours', what kind is it ?
LOL! I know, I know - it was under protest that I called AAA! :D
Here's the wheel.... (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=momospargi) and this specifically is mine. (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MOM124&Category_Code=momospargi[/URL) ;) I LOVE the feel of that wheel.

KingCole
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Let me tell you from experience, if you loose tread on one tire it's time to replace them all. Last summer we lost the tread on FOUR tires on our triple-axle trailer on the same trip, all at different times! Talk about suck? The last one knocked the fender off the trailer. On the same trip we got a dinged prop, burned out blower, and our EZ-UP turned into a WADED-UP from the wind. One of those trips you hear about but think it will never happen to you. Oh yeah, that was my first blow out in over 20 years of boating.

RiverToysJas
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Let me tell you from experience, if you loose tread on one tire it's time to replace them all. Last summer we lost the tread on FOUR tires on our triple-axle trailer on the same trip, all at different times! Talk about suck? The last one knocked the fender off the trailer. On the same trip we got a dinged prop, burned out blower, and our EZ-UP turned into a WADED-UP from the wind. One of those trips you hear about but think it will never happen to you. Oh yeah, that was my first blow out in over 20 years of boating.
WOW! Sorry to hear about that messed up trip!!! :(
Thanks for the input. It's been in the back of my mind about the other three tires....

Havasu Hangin'
04-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Who is Terry? :sleeping:
Actually, I think I once stopped for HBJet on Rice Road to offer my (im)moral support.
I knew those jetboat guys broke down on the water all the time...but on the trailer, too? :supp:

voodoomedman
04-04-2005, 10:14 AM
There was a bad run of valve stems last year. Tony at Extreme will get your tire replaced and all your valve stems if they are the bad ones. My boat is in Havasu so I got the valve stems replaced and gave Tony the bill and he sent it to the tire manufacturer who is sending me a check.

HBjet
04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Actually, I think I once stopped for HBJet on Rice Road to offer my (im)moral support.
I knew those jetboat guys broke down on the water all the time...but on the trailer, too? :supp:
I remember that.... it wasn't a trailer problem though.
I was on Rice Road and I notice my volt gauge needle is droppin... then I realized my alt. mush have failed so I got on the cell with Cyclone who was behind me and told him the situation. We decided to keep going as long as we can. Well, that lasted about 10 minutes and the truck finally died. So we decided to jimmy-rig the boat battery in the truck and call around for an open shop on Sunday afternoon. During all of this, Here comes up HH to offer is all mighty wisdom..... of something.... It was cool he stopped, even if it was just to say hi... haha!
We got the truck fixed an hour later, had some dinner and then headed home.
HBjet

MsDrmr
04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
It's an awsome world we live in. It's nice to post the good things as so much of news is focused on the bad things in life.

RiverToysJas
04-05-2005, 08:06 AM
He's the one guy around here that's bigger than you! ;)

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2005, 08:25 AM
He's the one guy around here that's bigger than you! ;)
I can fix that! :messedup:

CJ
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Jason, Terry still at the same email/phone?

Jrocket
04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Must be the season Jason,I had the exact same brand and size of tire blow out last sunday on the way back from Parker.Tires are 5 years old,and still have plenty of tread left but all 6 of them have cracks right at the edge of the tread pattern.6 new tires going on VERY soon.Hard to find a good 245-60-15R though.looks like maybe Dunlops for me.

77charger
04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
i got one in the same area on the way to powell last summer.Felt a shake then heard a pop lost the thread tire still had air.My cousin was with me he had AAA he said he'll call.we also wanted to be in vegas by 9pm to meeet up with my boss too.Said AAA might take time so we go at the flat a cheap tool kit got the lugs off but one(extension broke 3/8th ratchet and a spark plug socket)He got the jack out from my chevy the lug wrench with that was a little loose on the trailer but it got the last lug off.We did the job in about 10 min in 110 degree heat with no sweat or dirty hands.team work really worked this time.i got the lugs loose he got the jack out.and lifted trailer while i got the spare out.i tighened the lugs while he lowered trailer.

TheLurker
04-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Cool that the boating family steps up to help.
I have to reiterate what everyone else has been saying. If all tires were new at the same time once you have a problem like that change them all. I refused to believe that until the 3'rd blow out of 6 tires on the motor home all with in 6 months.