PDA

View Full Version : got wet

blondebomber
06-15-2001, 02:28 PM
Got a question: What happens if you get your MSD 6AL box wet? I got my MSD submurged in about 2 inches of water. Now it's all mucked up. When I start to take off it spits and sputters a bit and reaches 4,000 rpm. It won't go any higher. I have a AA impeller being turned by a 502HO. I can normally reach 4800 rpm. What can a new guy at jet boating do about this? Please Help http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

spectras only
06-15-2001, 10:29 PM
Sounds like somebody forgot to put in the drainplug? The marine MSD boxes are epoxy sealed so it shouldn't be a problem.However the so called watertight connectors are not so watertight.Take a hairdryer and blow the unplugged connector for 5 minutes,and spray it with neutrol contact cleaner,or WD 40 afterwards.If the box got moisture inside ,I would try to save it by removing it from the boat and place it near to a stove drying it. That's the reason I stick with conventional ign system,since they're not so sensitive.I've got MSD in one of my boat and the old system in the other that I had for decades without problems.Modern cars have similar problems with crankshaft trigger sensors in moisty or humid weather,Cherokees,Ford Probes etc.Another thing you better check is water in your fuel system.Replace the water separator for starters and the fuel filter.Water/oil and electronics don't mix well!
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 15, 2001).]

blondebomber
06-16-2001, 08:39 AM
No the drain plug was in. We were beached on a sandbar when this prick came in too hot and I took on alot of water. All of connections were fine, the only thing I'm worried about is that the MSD box wasn't sealed and when I took it off the boat the bottom of the MSD was sepperated a good 1/2 an inch so it took on allot of water do you think it will be fine after it dries out ( it has been a week now) or should it be replaced??????????

ponponracing
06-16-2001, 09:27 AM
Blondebomber,
the MSD boxes are not sealed at all. The marine box is more resistant to water and vibration. That's it. You can still send it to MSD so they take it apart and clean it, but if you figure out shipping, handling and MSD charges, buy a new box. Drying connections with a hair dryer is excellent but don't run a box that was wet, bad ignition can destroy an engine. Just my opinion based on bad experiences. MSD is a very good product.

spectras only
06-16-2001, 09:49 AM
Blondebomber,if your AL box won't get fixed,switch to the AM box that was ment for marine use.

skeepwerkzaz
06-16-2001, 10:49 AM
Hey there,
You are probably out of luck with your box.
They are fairly fragile and I feel it is amazing at all that it works after its swim. I know a test for the box though, let me find it and I will relay it to you.
clay

spectras only
06-16-2001, 04:31 PM
MSD claims their AM 2 box is waterproof,hence it's made for boats only.I think it also has a neoprene gasket between the mounting base and the housing body.I hose my MSD equipped boat well after an ocean running and never had a problem.

froggystyle
06-16-2001, 10:38 PM
The test for the box is to unplug your distributor, take off your coil wire, and holding it with some insulated pliers around an inch from a ground, jump the two wires that go to your distributor with a paper clip or something (This is only a ground initiated trigger) and you should see a serious spark. If the box is barely working, you will see a small spark with a lot of whining and chirping going on when you jump the trigger. This is not the spark you are looking for. If working properly, it will jump a 2" gap. Hot tip, don't put a body part anywhere near a ground on this test, it will find it. That is the test for the box. If you have a good spark, the box is working fine. There are other tests that you can do, and they are under "troubleshooting" on the MSD website.
http://www.msdignition.com
[This message has been edited by froggystyle (edited June 16, 2001).]

blondebomber
06-17-2001, 03:55 AM
Thanks for all the help. The box is working fine as per the test I did. I did however find a loose plug wire when I was going through everything. I'm going to launch it today I'll let you know how it went.

blondebomber
06-17-2001, 11:20 PM
I want to think everybody for their information. The problem was a spark plug wire. Just goes to show you need to keep it simple.