PDA

View Full Version : Flags at half mast...

BarryMac
04-04-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm wondering, what are your thoughts about flying the American Flag at half mast due to the passing on of the Pope.

uclahater
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
The Pope was a great man who stood up for alot of things that are wrong in the world today, Poverty, hunger, moral values, and much more. I think its great that were showing respect for someone who has truly tried to make the world a better place for all :rollside:

WYRD
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
The Pope was a great man who stood up for alot of things that are wrong in the world today, Poverty, hunger, moral values, and much more. I think its great that were showing respect for someone who has truly tried to make the world a better place for all :rollside:
Well said Hater. :cool:

roostwear
04-04-2005, 02:34 PM
So government agencies can fly the flag at half staff for the passing of a religious icon, but our schools can't say the Pledge of Allegiance with "one nation under God"?

deltarat
04-04-2005, 02:35 PM
So lets get this staight, my children who go to church every week can't say "one Nation Under GOD" are supposed to walk by a flag at 1/2 mast for the Pope on their way into school..................how the F*ck is that.

Ziggy
04-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Double Standards or Political Correctness...however you want to see it.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Excellent points on both sides of the debate. Certainly does not seem to make sense, one way or the other since each side contradicts the other.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Double Standards or Political Correctness...however you want to see it.
Yup.

HCS
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
So lets get this staight, my children who go to church every week can't say "one Nation Under GOD" are supposed to walk by a flag at 1/2 mast for the Pope on their way into school..................how the F*ck is that.
That's why it won't fly at 1/2 mast for the Pope.
Now, go say your rosery for cussing. :mad:

BarryMac
04-04-2005, 02:41 PM
That's why it won't fly at 1/2 mast for the Pope.
Now, go say your rosery for cussing. :mad:
But it is flying at half mast for the Pope...

Norseman
04-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I'LL go get the popcorn
You want extra butter on that?????
I think I have some Harp's Lager left in the fridge!!!
Bob

jdogginla
04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
But it is flying at half mast for the Pope...
Prez......good Ol' George W ordered it to half mast

HCS
04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Prez......good Ol' George W ordered it to half mast
I Just caught that on the radio.
Ok, put your rosery away. ;)

uclahater
04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
The athiest have ruined us being able to say "One Nation Under God", and I hate it, but I look at this as the USA showing that we can still show respect to God. I wish we still had those other ways to, but at least its something. The atheist, and ACLU must be having a fit over this :idea: - :idea: . IM not Catholic either, but I have no problem with people showing respect for good leaders in other religions :)
Just my .02

Kilrtoy
04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Hell Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Big Warlock
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Don't blame the Pope because USA is screwed up!! LOL He was a good man and tried to do good. But I bet the politics there almost make ours pale.
And don't forget, this is still recognized as the original church, from which all other Christian churches came from. Is the half mast thing going to tick off some folks? Yea, but they have a point as well. Problem isn't the Catholic church as much as it is Rev Jackson and Mufume whatever his name is boning women out of wedlock, having kids with others besides their wives and keeping them on the payroll etc etc. Then they want to tell us how to run our lives! I love this place!!
Can Cardinal Sharpton be in our future?? I love that guy!!
:eek:

Powerquestboy
04-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I dont see it as a religous issue! He was a good person that did good things for a lot of people in many country's. He was a respected recognized leader in the world. You are simple showing respect for the man and his life not advertising his religon. When I worked for a golf course we flew the flag at half mast when Payne Stewart and Ben Hogan died just as a show of respect for their lives. I have no idea what religon those guys were.

GHTRIM
04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
The Prez is the only one who can (as they teach you in the military) order the flag to half mass. Since everyone is giving opinions mine is that the flag should fly HIGH AND PROUD. The Pope dieing is NO reason for the flag to go to half mass. As great of a man as he was (and always will be) he did not spill on F'ing drop of blood for this country! We have fathers and sons (moms and daughters) that have fought and died for all of us on these boards and the flag did NOT go to half mass. I don't say this because it is a religious issue because contrary to most Liberals this fine country's constitution was written based on religion. It was written so the Churches would not be the primary government as they were in England. G.W. Bush should not have the flag a half mass. Now everyone back the F*ck up while I get down off of my soap box it is a big step down and I don't want to snap an ankle. :boxingguy :D

INSman
04-04-2005, 03:46 PM
The flag is for Americans and besides, we have separation of church and state, right ??

GHTRIM
04-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Guess I stand corrected. Must be for the military only. Yea, I got down alright... Only a slight strain to the left ankle nothing a little ice won't fix.. Thanks for asking. :D

mirvin
04-04-2005, 03:57 PM
The flag is for Americans and besides, we have separation of church and state, right ??
I don't know....?? Anyone?? It's not in the Constitution is it?? For some reason I think it was written about by Jefferson......Anyone???
mirvin
:confused:

Kilrtoy
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
When I worked for a golf course we flew the flag at half mast when Payne Stewart and Ben Hogan died just as a show of respect for their lives.
So the Golf course and you took things in to your own hands, My flag flies high and will be lowered when the need arises.... and it aint the pope

GHTRIM
04-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Kilr,
I'll bet he flew his flag at half mass when Dale died. Oh, don't forget Johnny C. :supp: :confused:

Kilrtoy
04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Kilr,
I'll bet he flew his flag at half mass when Dale died. Oh, don't forget Johnny C. :supp: :confused:
OH SHIT, that was good....

roostwear
04-04-2005, 04:19 PM
When I worked for a golf course we flew the flag at half mast when Payne Stewart and Ben Hogan died just as a show of respect for their lives. I have no idea what religon those guys were.
That violates the separation of golf and state.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
As great of a man as he was (and always will be) he did not spill on F'ing drop of blood for this country! We have fathers and sons (moms and daughters) that have fought and died for all of us on these boards and the flag did NOT go to half mass.
Using your logic then the flags should not have been lowered to half-mast for Preisdent Reagan then. Granted, he was a former Commander-In-Chief, and as such desreved the flags lowered, all I'm saying is your logic is flawed if spilling blood is the only criteria used to get the flag lowered to half-mast. I'm not really sure how I feel about it happening for the Pope.

Tom Brown
04-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the Pope was a big UCLA fan.

Desert Rat
04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
The Pope is also a head of state, I think the Vatican is independent from Italy. I didn't do well in Geography so i could be incorrect on this.

Throttle
04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Put the flag back up!