PDA

View Full Version : It's coming. Watch out Ford, GM & Daimler-Chrysler!

MagicMtnDan
04-25-2006, 06:52 AM
2008 Toyota Tundra: One Big Mother?
In a market increasingly dominated by imports, there's one segment still controlled by the Big Three. But maybe not much longer, at least not if the 2008 Toyota Tundra connects with demanding American full-size pickup buyers. The long-awaited update of the Toyota truck blew into the Windy City on Thursday, and as one company executive suggested, "it's a big, bad mutha." The Tundra Double Cab Limited on display at Chicago's McCormick Center, boasts a whopping 145.7-inch wheelbase, a full ten inches longer than the '06 Access Cab model it replaces.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/scrapbook/original/1937.jpg
The 5.7-liter V-8 under the hood of the show car will be one of three different engines Toyota offers when the new Tundra comes to market next January. (There'll also be a 4.7-liter V-8 and a fuel-stingy 4.0-liter V-6, according to Toyota Motor Sales CEO Jim Press.) The big V-8 is mated to a new six-speed automatic. The automaker was selective with statistics, declining to provide precise mileage, power, and performance statistics - perhaps hoping to see what General Motors will claim when it rolls out its own new full-size trucks later this year. But one number did generate a buzz among the attendant horde of automotive journalists: the new Tundra will deliver Class 4 towing capacity of up to 10,000 pounds. Toyota officials are clearly nervous that the big truck will skew downward their corporate fuel economy numbers, tarnishing an image otherwise burnished by the high-mileage Prius hybrid. So they took pains to promise that Toyota will maintain the best overall fuel economy of any full-line manufacturer. And company insiders hint a fuel-efficient diesel option is under development, as well.
Though the current Tundra racked up a record 120,000 sales in 2005, Toyota has so far largely failed to connect with American truck buyers since launching its first full-size model, the T-100, fifteen years ago. The segment has traditionally been the most loyal in the market, and potential buyers complained about the lack of power and body variations offered by the automaker. Heavily relying on its Calty design studio, in California, and Michigan technical center, Toyota dove deep into the market to see what buyers wanted, and this time, it will hit the road with 30 different versions of the Tundra, including two- and four-wheel-drive options, three different cabins, and three bed sizes. That includes a full eight-foot bed. The tailgate, incidentally, is damped for "two-finger operation."
All that added length provides plenty of cargo and passenger space. There's four inches more room in the front seat, three inches in the rear, where passengers will also get another six inches in hip space. "It's so roomy," joked Press, "that you might be worried if your daughter's date shows up driving one of these." A range of standard and optional safety features will include oversized brakes, an assortment of airbags, and a rear-facing camera mounted in the tailgate.
Image may not be everything, but it's clearly critical for the pickup buyer, and with its "fist-shaped" body, the new Tundra was designed to send the message it's a serious work truck, according to TMS CEO Press. The Double Cab shown rides on 20-inch wheels. The emphasis on ruggedness and towing capacity wasn't an accident. Where the original Tundra was aimed at the personal-use market, this time 'round, Toyota is targeting "true truckers," explained Jim Lentz, general manager of the Toyota Division. These are "the opinion leaders," he said, "because they use, punish, and demand the most."
Getting them to opt in will be critical to the new pickup's acceptance, company officials acknowledged, and so, while Toyota focuses on building buzz, the company is scheduling a relatively conservative roll-out schedule. The current Tundra is being built at the automaker's plant in Princeton, Indiana. That operation will continue, even with the opening of an all-new pickup plant in San Antonio, Texas, heart of truck country. First-year sales are expected to reach 200,000, said Press. That's a significant increase from the current Tundra, but a fraction of the 900,000 F-Series Ford sold last year. But just wait. That fits Toyota's cautious growth strategy, and Press didn't deny that there's plenty of room to expand the San Antonio plant if the new Tundra finally clicks with the American truck buyer.

jbtrailerjim
04-25-2006, 07:04 AM
I don't care how big and bad they say that thing is. That thing is fugly. :yuk:

Outnumbered
04-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Still no comparison to a 3/4 CC domestic. Smaller, less room, shorter WB, less towing. Looks like Toyota blew it again if they are going after the true full-size domestics.

cdog
04-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Toyota is the new F'ed over rebuilt dodge. That thing is hidious.

NOTALENT
04-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Definatley ugly.

THOR
04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
It is still a Toyota

BarryMac
04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Looks like a Dodge and an F150 had a baby, that truck is freaking nasty looking...

Beer-30
04-25-2006, 07:27 AM
A Camry with a pickup bed. Still 5-lug, weird of them to stick with that.

redneckcharlie
04-25-2006, 01:32 PM
no diesel, no chance of decent sales to the hardcore truck market. :rolleyes:

life's a river
04-25-2006, 01:39 PM
No thank's. I'll stick with my Chevy & Duramax! What's the sticker price? $60K?

Outnumbered
04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
I wouldnt say that. I have had several Toyota P/U and they are about as tough a stock truck you can buy for their size. Just too small. 5 lugs on a half-ton is no big deal. My Durango Hemi (345 hp/375 torque) has 5 lugs and is rated to tow 7,700 lbs and can go 8,200 with 3.90 gears.

Wake Havasu
04-25-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.egullet.com/imgs/egci/japan/japan015_DCE.jpg

lucky
04-25-2006, 01:52 PM
ahhh whats the fuel milage again ?

4day!!
04-25-2006, 02:04 PM
during an inspection last week i spoke with the service manager of a Nissan dealer and he says this time next year nissan will be rolling out a diesel Titan. He says it's a Cummins motor and an Allison tranny. Take it for what it's worth. Could be interesting to see what competeive pricing may do..

Kilrtoy
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
It still has a little motor in it...
kinda like a 30 foot boat with a single 496

Jyruiz
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
during an inspection last week i spoke with the service manager of a Nissan dealer and he says this time next year nissan will be rolling out a diesel Titan. He says it's a Cummins motor and an Allison tranny. Take it for what it's worth. Could be interesting to see what competeive pricing may do..
Hopefully they will put a diesel in the Armada too.

Beer-30
04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
It still has a little motor in it...
kinda like a 30 foot boat with a single 496
OUCH!

SoCalSouthpaw
04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Isnt that the truck they used in that domestic partner flick 'Brokeback Moutnain'?

CARLSON-JET
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
The pic is just not complete without the coffee can hangin' off the tailpipe. It is a little strange here to only see the big 3 trucks on the road. Very few ricer trucks are sold in these parts it appears. I was in Phoenix 2 weeks ago when I noticed one at almost every major intersection. I wonder why?

BigBlockBaja
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I'll take my silverado anyday over that.

GAME TIME
04-25-2006, 03:22 PM
No Thanks :sleeping:

laveydayz
04-25-2006, 03:27 PM
That thing is ugly....glad I bought my Chevy Duramax....I will never buy Jap even if they are made here!

rivercrazy
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
I will never buy Jap even if they are made here!
They are made here. Both Nissan and Toyota for a number of years. Just about all the 1/2 ton domestics are made in either MEXICO or CANADA

cc322
04-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Somehow I am not worried, especially when the American trucks look like this :rollside:
http://www.donahoeracing.com/cust_gallery_detail.php?galleryID=59

laveydayz
04-25-2006, 03:56 PM
They are made here. Both Nissan and Toyota for a number of years. Just about all the 1/2 ton domestics are made in either MEXICO or CANADA
Maybe the 1/2 tons but the 2500hd is made in Flint Michigan....Sticker in the door jam confirms it!

cc322
04-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Maybe the 1/2 tons but the 2500hd is made in Flint Michigan....Sticker in the door jam confirms it!
I wonder where that money goes?. Dont forget about Kentucky

cc322
04-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Just when Japan thinks they have a real mucle HP motor the Americans answer right back. Kinda in your face answer.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476819
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478439

rivercrazy
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Actually that is pretty funny. Toyota and Honda engines have incorporated variable valve timing for many many years. Someone is late for the show.
Not doggin the domestics. Its just funny how they are now promoting this technology that their competition has been using on a mass production basis for a LONG time.
They don't have a choice but to introduce modern technology. The competition has been grinding on them for years.
I personally hope the domestics can regain some market share and start making money again. But unfortunately that is doubtful given the Union's strangle hold on their expense structures. They are slowly killing the largest remaining sector of american manufacturing.

angry dad
04-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I will NEVER buy rice!

LAVEYSABRE575
04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
That Tundra should hit the market in feb. 07 also diesel motor coming out the end of 07. They will still carry the shorter model 06 version....Derek

Outnumbered
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Actually that is pretty funny. Toyota and Honda engines have incorporated variable valve timing for many many years. Someone is late for the show.
Not doggin the domestics. Its just funny how they are now promoting this technology that their competition has been using on a mass production basis for a LONG time.
They don't have a choice but to introduce modern technology. The competition has been grinding on them for years.
I personally hope the domestics can regain some market share and start making money again. But unfortunately that is doubtful given the Union's strangle hold on their expense structures. They are slowly killing the largest remaining sector of american manufacturing.
You hit the nail on the head.

riverroyal
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
10k pounds,,,it wont sell,I think its needs more towing cap,,,,but who knows

GHT
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
It is still a Toyota
Agreed

FREIND OF AA AND TA
04-25-2006, 06:59 PM
That shiat was funny!!

FreshTracks
04-25-2006, 08:11 PM
FORD:
F-150- DEARBORN ,MI and NORFOLK, VA
SUPERDUTY- KENTUCKY TRUCK PLANT
I support AMERICAN companies as much as I can. F%&K Toyota and Nissan.

dego red
04-25-2006, 08:42 PM
So what's wrong with built in Canada??? That's like saying we are a bunch of fargin wetbacks, and we can't build a truck. I guess that was why Freigtliner, the least rated class 8 truck manufacurer bought out our home town Western Star truck company and moved the assembly to Portland. Western Star was rated #1 in class 8 satisfaction world wide. WE know how to build trucks up here thank you....
red

redneckcharlie
04-25-2006, 08:50 PM
i am not sure how much everyone else uses their trucks and for what, but me personally, if i can't put a back hoe behind it, i have no use for it. nothing against the japanese trucks, but have you ever actually looked at the physical size of the drivetrain parts. the titans differential looks almost the same size as my bombardier ds650 quad. :cry:

Marty Gras
04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
In it's 'heavy duty' rating, does that new truck have "floating hubs" or does it have the same old 'car axles' on it? Look at any truck magazine, they compare the load and tow ratings of ALL trucks. The domestics are way ahead on load carrying and towing ability. I'll stick with my good old 'one ton dually' that will carry 4000lbs legally. (10,000 GVW - 5860 = 4140)

ROZ
04-25-2006, 10:49 PM
That Tundra should hit the market in feb. 07 also diesel motor coming out the end of 07. They will still carry the shorter model 06 version....Derek
That's exactly what I heard...
I like. Hoping I can hold out until it hits the market..

ROZ
04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh yea, At the rate american car mfg's are closing plants, you'll all be driving rice :D

ROZ
04-25-2006, 10:53 PM
FORD:
F-150- DEARBORN ,MI and NORFOLK, VA
SUPERDUTY- KENTUCKY TRUCK PLANT
So everything inside your house is from USA, everything?
Guess you ain't a wallmart shopper :D

FreshTracks
04-25-2006, 11:06 PM
So everything inside your house is from USA, everything?
Guess you ain't a wallmart shopper :D
LOL. I said as much as I can. TV, stereo, etc. all Japanese, but when it comes to trucks, American all the way. Thankfully this is one area American Mfr's still build the best.

Riomouse911
04-26-2006, 03:25 AM
The Super Duty is made in Kentucky I believe, my first windshield had the sticker. (The next two didn't.. f*****g center-dump gravel haulers!) And yes, it's uglier than the Titan, F-150 and the Durango combined...I think it's a pretty tough time to be debuting another 17-20 mpg truck, so let's see if they last.

RitcheyRch
04-26-2006, 04:25 AM
The front end kind of looks like a Dodge Ram.

WATERFOUL
04-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Whoever started this thread must own a Toyota dealership.

Old Texan
04-26-2006, 05:15 AM
I've got a Nissan Titan going on 3 years. Rides great, power to accelerate, great around town. If you want to pull a boat or RV of any size, get a Chevy/Ford/Dodge.

HammerDown
04-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm all about the "as much as I can deal"...fact of the matter is, I pretty much had to go Toyota Corolla-S 5 speed when I needed a good/reliable daily commuter that got 40 mpg. Next option in iline was a TDI diesel Jetta.
My Corvette and Ford Diesel stay parked...most of the time.