PDA

View Full Version : Should I go with an electric fuel pump..?

Hollis
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
I had my BBF 460 rebuilt and am considering replacing the old mechanical fuel pump with an electric...Any opinions would be great. :boxed:

Oldsquirt
04-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Unless you have built a monster that requires more fuel flow than the best mechanical pumps can provide, I'd say no. Keep it simple. A good performance mechanical pump should last for years.

LakesOnly
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I had my BBF 460 rebuilt and am considering replacing the old mechanical fuel pump with an electric...Any opinions would be great. :boxed:
Carter's 172 GPM mechanical fuel pump will support 750+ HP no problem. Part # M61044 . 7.5 p.s.i., no regulator required...and no electric fuel pump woes.
LO

Floored
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Lakes is waiting for the Olympics to include, The Holley Fuel pump throw. So far I believe he has the unofficial record :D

GofastRacer
04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Stick with the mechanical 6 vane pump and use a bypass, Clay Smith, Edelbrock, Carter, they will feed just about anything, plain simple and reliable!.. :cool:

LakesOnly
04-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Lakes is waiting for the Olympics to include, The Holley Fuel pump throw. So far I believe he has the unofficial record :D
:D
Holley fuel pumps? We don't need no stinkin' Holley fuel pumps!
;)
LO

04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Lakes is waiting for the Olympics to include, The Holley Fuel pump throw. So far I believe he has the unofficial record :D That could be but the competition is expected to be fierce. :D

roostwear
04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
That could be but the competition is expected to be fierce. :D
Maybe that's what I should do.... bring a bunch of Holley pumps to feed the masses at CBBB........

wrenchdaddy
04-05-2005, 09:29 AM
amen to that, I can chunk them things far, better watch out

UtlGoa
04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Hey Lakes,
Is that a summit part number or jegs ???????????????????????

LakesOnly
04-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey Lakes,
Is that a summit part number or jegs ???????????????????????
It's a Carter part number. Total p/n as found in Summit Racing is: CRT-M61044
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/crt-m61045_w.jpg
It looks to be back ordered for two weeks; Click Here (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=M61044&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=41&y=10) to see the pump on Summit.
LO
Hey Roost, good idea for a CBBB event: The Holley Fuel Pump Throw.

roostwear
04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
It's a Carter part number. Total p/n as found in Summit Racing is: CRT-M61044
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/crt-m61045_w.jpg
It looks to be back ordered for two weeks; Click Here (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=M61044&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=41&y=10) to see the pump on Summit.
LO
Hey Roost, good idea for a CBBB event: The Holley Fuel Pump Throw.
I was thinking more of bringing NEW ones to help keep Holley owners on the water, but then again, it won't take long to get enough bad ones for the pump toss!

UtlGoa
04-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info Lakes. I think I'm going to order this pump and see if it will help stop my motor from surging.

superdave013
04-08-2005, 09:53 AM
I have BBF Clay Smith pumps in stock. You might have to replace the bottom with the one that has the ports on it. That is if you have a pesky motor plate in the way.
Anyway they flow 140GPH and you must run a regulator with them.
PM me for pricing.
http://www.sweetperformance.com/2143Hampton_blower_8-71_006.jpg

UtlGoa
04-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Superdave,
How did you get those headers to clear your valve covers? I went down to Lightning last week, but Jan was not there. I was told I could either cut my valvecovers, or they would have to fab the headers on a diffrent angle.

superdave013
04-08-2005, 04:35 PM
it's a customer's boat. I don't know anything about the headers or covers.

wet77
04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Had a holley blue electric in my maverick and it got tossed across the yard and into the street :220v:
After that I cooled down and re-installed it :cool:
Worked great for two years and then I sold the boat :rollside:

LakesOnly
04-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Hey Superdave,
How did you get those headers to clear your valve covers? I went down to Lightning last week, but Jan was not there. I was told I could either cut my valvecovers, or they would have to fab the headers on a diffrent angle.
Don't know how tight your fit is, but maybe Lightning can sell you a pair of header flanges that you can mount between your headers and heads, which will put the headers away from the valve covers a bit more. Just a thought...
LO

roostwear
04-09-2005, 02:08 PM
There's a guy on Ebay that flame cuts 385 header flanges. I bought a set for the roadster, and they are pretty good. For $60, it's worth a shot.

Thunderbutt
04-09-2005, 04:58 PM
it's a customer's boat. I don't know anything about the headers or covers.
Dave, you had me shaken up for awhile. I thought you had a Jet boat

LakesOnly
04-09-2005, 07:16 PM
There's a guy on Ebay that flame cuts 385 header flanges. I bought a set for the roadster, and they are pretty good. For $60, it's worth a shot.
I scored two pair of those msylef back when the opening bid was $32/BIN $49. I got two pair (1 Std & 1 SCJ) for $64 + combined shipping (for one item)! :D
They are great but dont' quite fit my needs. I was going to use them in the exact same way I mentioned above, but it looks like this guy uses the exhaust gaskets as a pattern, and unfortunately the perimiter fabbed flanges don't cover the outter edges of my humongous Sanderson flanges (the exhaust on the headers are big squares).
I will still use the Std flange to step out my headers (since they arlready leak), and the SCJ's will be used to fab up some custom zoomies for the hydro.
LO

roostwear
04-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Wanna talk exhaust port mismatch? The roadster headers were made for the original Boss motor, but 4 of the bolts hold it onto the D3 heads. Glad they make high temp silicone sealant. :jawdrop: